Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they are not actually saying overthrow the government.
More like "do what it takes" to get your people recognized and on top.
They also have in their book to eliminate the gringo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they are not actually saying overthrow the government.
More like "do what it takes" to get your people recognized and on top.
Since none of us has actually read the books in question, I think you should check out the link I provided above and read what the Superintendent of Instruction (who SHOULD know what's in the books) said about them.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why has everyone went off the subject?

Its not about Beck.

Its about ethnic studies to overthrow government
I think that is all those who like what is going on in the TUSD ethnic studies curriculum but are aware that there is no way to defend this to anyone who is not a supporter of Marxism have to argue; i.e., the source. They try to convince people that it is not true because it comes from Beck.

More from the letter written by the former Superintendent of Public Instruction:

"One of the textbooks is Occupied America (5th ed.). One of the leaders it talks about is... “José Angel Gutiérrez "One of Gutiérrez’s speeches is described as follows:"
"We are fed up. We are going to move to do away with the injustices to the Chicano and if the ‘gringo’ doesn’t get out of our way, we will stampede over him.” Gutiérrez attacked the gringo establishment angrily at a press conference and called upon Chicanos to ‘kill the gringo,’ which meant to end white control over Mexicans."
"The textbook’s translation of what Gutiérrez meant contradicts his clear language. In describing the atmosphere in Texas where Gutiérrez spoke, the textbook states: “Texans had never come to grips with the fact that Mexicans had won at the Alamo.” (P. 323.) It is certainly strange to find a textbook in an American public school taking the Mexican side of the battle at the Alamo."

Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I think that is all those who like what is going on in the TUSD ethnic studies curriculum but are aware that there is no way to defend this to anyone who is not a supporter of Marxism have to argue; i.e., the source. They try to convince people that it is not true because it comes from Beck.

More from the letter written by the former Superintendent of Public Instruction:

"One of the textbooks is Occupied America (5th ed.). One of the leaders it talks about is... “José Angel Gutiérrez "One of Gutiérrez’s speeches is described as follows:"
"We are fed up. We are going to move to do away with the injustices to the Chicano and if the ‘gringo’ doesn’t get out of our way, we will stampede over him.” Gutiérrez attacked the gringo establishment angrily at a press conference and called upon Chicanos to ‘kill the gringo,’ which meant to end white control over Mexicans."
"The textbook’s translation of what Gutiérrez meant contradicts his clear language. In describing the atmosphere in Texas where Gutiérrez spoke, the textbook states: “Texans had never come to grips with the fact that Mexicans had won at the Alamo.” (P. 323.) It is certainly strange to find a textbook in an American public school taking the Mexican side of the battle at the Alamo."

I am glad Arizona banned those studies. They need to do it in every state.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I am glad Arizona banned those studies. They need to do it in every state.
Where do you get your information that these studies have been banned?

I thought it was still being debated and at most they have made these studies electives vs. required courses.

Here is a link to an article that discusses a very chaotic attempt at a board meeting on May 4, 2011 in which this issue tried to be brought up. But the massive crowd and protestors (taught well in the ethnic studies class, I guess) prevented any real resolution.

Last Night's TUSD Ethnic Studies Resolution Meeting Gets an F | The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch

"This was Stegeman's second attempt to present his resolution, which makes changes to ethnic studies and the Mexican-American studies department, most specifically changing the status of Chicano history and government classes from core-credit classes that count toward history requirements to electives."

"Stegeman's resolution was first scheduled for discussion and vote last week, but was rescheduled after student-led UNIDOS coalition members took over the meeting in protest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies