Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
not sure how this can be so confusing for some!
Litmus test;

Food Stamps or
Pay check

pick one?
It is that easy? LOL! That is what the GOP would like you to think. Just say it and it will magically happen. LOL!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,542,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It might be a great slogan for the "Tin Foil Hat Crowd" but the reality is the number of food stamp recipients increase over 50% during George W. Bush Jr. terms in office.

Average Participation

2000 - 17,194,000

2001 - 17,318,000

2002 - 19,096,000

2003 - 21,250,000

2004 - 23,811,000

2005 - 25,628,000

2006 - 26,549,000

2007 - 26,316,000

2008 - 28,223,000

hhahahah, ownage!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,542,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Seeing that Food stamps is a state program, maybe the blame lies with the Governors of those states. Out of the top 10 food stamp states, 7 of the 10 Governors are R's

1. Mississippi, Haley Barbour, (R)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.7 percent (614,320)
2010 Total State Population: 2,967,297

2. Oregon, John Kitzhaber (D), Senate
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.1 percent (770,054)
2010 Total State Population: 3,831,074

3. Tennessee, Bill Haslam (R)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.8 percent (1,227,600)
2010 Total State Population: 6.2 million

4. New Mexico, Susana Martinez (R),
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.8 percent (407,717)
2010 Total State Population: 2,059,179

5. Michigan, Rick Snyder (R)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.7 percent (1,947,077)
2010 Total State Population: 9,883,640

6. Louisiana, Bobby Jindal (R)

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.2 percent (870,407)
2010 Total State Population: 4,533,372

7. Kentucky, Steve Beshear (D)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.8 percent (815,800)
2010 Total State Population: 4,339,367

8. West Virginia, Earl Tomblin (D)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.7 percent (345,509)
2010 Total State Population: 1,852,994

9. Maine, Paul LePage (R)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.6 percent (247,075)
2010 Total State Population: 1,328,361

10. South Carolina, Nikki Haley (R)
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.2 percent (841,816)
2010 Total State Population: 4,625,364

Yes the FACTS!! More ownage of the right. Love it.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
"We soon will have the most food stamps recipients in the history of our country," said Jim Weill, president of the Food Research and Action Center, a D.C.-based anti-hunger policy organization. "If the economic forecasts come true, we're likely to see the most hunger that we've seen since the 1981 recession and maybe since the 1960s, when these programs were established."
Americans' Food Stamp Use Nears All-Time High
Wow!

Oh wait! what is the date of this?

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Oh..................

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Yes the FACTS!! More ownage of the right. Love it.

Food-stamp program use increasing in Utah!

Quote:
Before the recession hit, Utah had one of the lowest rates of food-stamp usage in the county. The state's economy weathered the storm better than most, but still, the past five years have brought tens of thousands of people like Burke to their knees. Now Utah's food stamp program is one of the fastest growing in the country.
Food-stamp program use increasing in Utah | Deseret News

Anybody know whether the Governor of Utah is Republican or Democrat?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,209,269 times
Still gotta luv your "spread the blame", diffuse it over many years, when a GOP was in the seat and "concentrate the blame", focus blame forward for past mistakes, when a Dem is in the seat.

You saying you don't see that? You wing nuts try to blame Obama for things that happened 20, 30 or 50 years ago, as if he had any say in those decisions. Yet for Bush you shift the blame for those bad policies back to the past. If Bush isn't responsible for past mistakes neither is Obama

Fact is Bush is at fault because he didn't take corrective actions to fix those past policies you blame for the mess today. If you blame Obama for not changing those policies, you have to blame Bush for not acting first. Instead of fixing those policies Bush created more bad policies that made things worse.

Fact is Obama has not been able to enact his own agenda because the GOP minority in the Senate used a record number of filibusters to prevent Obama from succeeding. Heck, I bet there are still administration appointments bottled up in the Senate. You wing nuts blocked Obama so you share the blame for the pace of the recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But you still don't get it. The series of events which led to the banking collapse has been in progress since the late 1960's. No president prior to Bush has seen that coming as well. In fact, the housing market is currently still overvalued and good ol' Obama's government is still pumping money into fannie may and freddie mac.

I am not blaming ANY ADMINISTRATION. WE caused the financial collapse, not any government. People like you and me investing our retirement money with blind faith in fund managers who had insufficient models created the collapse. Blaming Bush for the economic collapse is like blaming Pearl Harbor for WWII. It was already going on regardless of the fact that Pearl Harbor was the spark that put America over the edge.

Let me ask you a direct question: Do you understand what I mean when I say a reliance on the efficient market hypothesis among quantitative traders caused the collapse?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,952,816 times
Clearly the words "food stamps" trigger all types of emotions from people on the right. Food stamps, welfare, taxpayer money are all trigger words used by republicans to invoke emotion from the wing nuts all while getting them to vote against their interest and making policy to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

There are jobs to be filled, too bad so much of the US population doesn't have the education to fill them...this is he result of the dumbing down of America, which the current POTUS had nothing to do with. Another diversion...

Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,209,269 times
i thought the theory was tax cut for the wealthy created jobs. i thought the wealthy were holding back on job creation until those tax cuts were extended. DAMN, you saying we got lied to again??? you mean tax cuts for the wealthy actially lead to a decline in the middle class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Obama not only inherited tax cuts for the wealthy, the GOP insisted on extending them!

There seems to be a correlation with extending tax cuts for the wealthy and increasing need for food stamps.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,218,665 times
Quote:
Still gotta luv your "spread the blame", diffuse it over many years, when a GOP was in the seat and "concentrate the blame", focus blame forward for past mistakes, when a Dem is in the seat.

You saying you don't see that? You wing nuts try to blame Obama for things that happened 20, 30 or 50 years ago, as if he had any say in those decisions. Yet for Bush you shift the blame for those bad policies back to the past. If Bush isn't responsible for past mistakes neither is Obama

Fact is Bush is at fault because he didn't take corrective actions to fix those past policies you blame for the mess today. If you blame Obama for not changing those policies, you have to blame Bush for not acting first. Instead of fixing those policies Bush created more bad policies that made things worse.

Fact is Obama has not been able to enact his own agenda because the GOP minority in the Senate used a record number of filibusters to prevent Obama from succeeding. Heck, I bet there are still administration appointments bottled up in the Senate. You wing nuts blocked Obama so you share the blame for the pace of the recovery.
Look - I did not vote for Bush or Obama. They are both horrible presidents with policies I strongly disagree with. We will be suffering the fiscal ramifications of Obama's poor policies for decades, just as we will suffer Bush's policies for decades as well.

Just because I don't like Obama doesn't automatically mean I like Bush. Some of us actually think beyond straight party lines.

Please stop calling me a 'wingnut'. It does nothing but make you look ignorant. I have actually never voted for a democrat or republican in a presidential election. I am not registered to any party. If anyone in this debate is blindly (and ignorantly) following a straight party line, it is you. So please try to at least think for yourself a little instead of blindly quoting a liberal agenda.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,326,022 times
Quote:
Governors control spending in their states, Obama has ZERO control over the entitlements a governor provides. Fact is a president has ZERO affect of jobs creation, BUSINESSES create jobs, not the government.

A brief look back at why we have high unemployment today: Bush's policies created an enormous economic collapse, remember when McCain wanted to cancel the debates? It was that urgent. The public booted the GOP out and elected Obama so he could turn things around. What did the GOP do? They set a record for saying NO to anything Obama felt he needed to do to fix the mess Bush created, RECORD FILIBUSTERS in the Senate. Instead of allowing Obama's policies to succeed or fail on their own merit the GOP minority in the Senate prevented much of Obama's recovery policies from being enacted.

FYI, when you obstruct the policies that Obama tried to enact you are the ones that hindered the recovery. If you had allowed Obama, as Bush once said, to "spend his political capital" you could now argue that his policies didn't succeed, you could argue their merits. Now you can only share the blame for the pace of the recovery because the GOP was the party of NO for the last 2 and a half years.why, you wing nut like to blame Obama for things that he had not cotrol of. I recently saw someone blaming Obama for the UE rate from the day he was elected. I have even seen wing nuts blame Obama for Bush's GREAT RECESSION. you must live in a twilight zone. Obama has lost 9 million jobs, REALLY???? you are either going to have to provide facts to back that up or say oops, at least say you misspoke....

On one hand the radical lefties demand that if something good happens on Obamas watch he gets credit. So, he gets credit for everything then. Both good and bad.

The inherited crap is old and worn out.

He was handed 800 billion dollars in cash to fix the so called mess and he has done nothing but made things worse.

Yes, he has lost 5 million jobs and another 4 million have been taken off the roles and displaced.

Great going for a guy who said he was going to create 5 million NEW high paying jobs.

So,

WHERE IS THE 5 MILLION NEW JOBS FROM OBAMA?????

He got our 800 billion so bring on the facts about all those jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies