Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You think it's good for business to insult the largest growing demographic in the U.S.? Sounds like a Republican run business to me.
Most Hispanics have assimilated, learned English and become Americans. Those individuals could probably care less, like most Americans of all races. It's the illegal aliens and their liberal sympathizers who have their panties in a wad over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi139 View Post
So, not hiring someone who speaks Spanish or not wanting (for whatever reason) to learn Spanish is insulting Spanish speaking people??

Acting like a pious ******* is very insulting to Spanish speaking people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Some Hispanics assimilated, learned English and became Americans. Those individuals could probably care less, like most Americans of all races. It's the illegal aliens and their liberal sympathizers who have their panties in a wad over it.
You obviously aren't Hispanic. But,then again, many people still don't understand why so many American born Hispanics are completely insulted by the legislation in Arizona.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 PM

35 posts, read 37,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
There are signs like that all over the place in Miami. You won't see any phony outrage from liberals over it like they do when it's demanded that English be spoken in an English-language country.
I agree. The liberals are so hypocritical (most of them) that I stopped taking them seriously a long time ago.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You obviously aren't Hispanic.
So all hispanics are offended by a business who doesn't cater to Spanish speakers? What a moronic way to generalize.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:

You obviously aren't Hispanic. But,then again, many people still don't understand why so many American born Hispanics are completely insulted by the legislation in Arizona.
Next time I see a liquor store where the employees are all brown, and speak Spanish ONLY (lots of them in Los Angeles) should I say that they are insulting White English speaking people?

Especially when this is happening in the USA.

Should I go to Mexico, find a store that only hires brown, Spanish speaking people and claim that they are insulting me because I'm White and speak English.

Are you starting to understand the hypocrisy and the arrogance that is coming from the Spanish speaking people??

Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
That's only "clear" to the liberal left. To a lot of you being a white conservative makes you racist by default. By the way, what race is the Spanish language?

Maybe we should ask MiamiRob about this issue, and if he considers these places full of "racist xenophobes", or if they get a pass.
Ask away and it is Xenephobia and I can talk about since I am a first generation American of Cuban descent and I'm bilingual as well! You know what I meant by racism so please don't insult my intellegence with such dumb semantics regarding the behavior towards Spanish speaking people. I am quite aware that "Spanish is not a "race"!

As for Miami having signs in "Spanish" everywhere? I thought this was America! Land of the free! Until it bothers you right? Why doesn't the poster who complains about "Spanish" signs on businesses in Miami complain about the Koreans or the Chinese and their signs? Sounds hypocritical to me because I don't hear the same venomous outrage directed towards the Asian communities as I do towards those who are hispanic! Why should I have to dilute my culture & speak only English just to accomadate you? It's America and I will speak & conduct business in whatever language I want!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Ask away and it is Xenephobia and I can talk about since I am a first generation American of Cuban descent and I'm bilingual as well! You know what I meant by racism so please don't insult my intellegence with such dumb semantics regarding the behavior towards Spanish speaking people. I am quite aware that "Spanish is not a "race"!

As for Miami having signs in "Spanish" everywhere? I thought this was America! Land of the free! Until it bothers you right? Why doesn't the poster who complains about "Spanish" signs on businesses in Miami complain about the Koreans or the Chinese and their signs? Sounds hypocritical to me because I don't hear the same venomous outrage directed towards the Asian communities as I do towards those who are hispanic! It's America and I will speak & conduct business in whatever language I want!

So..... because, like you said, this is America, Land of the free, then the restaurant owner also has every right to ONLY do business with English speaking people.

After all, don't you think that because it's America he can speak & conduct business in whatever language he wants (in this case, English)?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Then the issue is not with you obviously since you speak English. It's with people who come to this country, usually illegally, and can't speak a word of English even after being here for years. If you're ok with that, good for you. I'm not.

Quote:

As for Miami having signs in "Spanish" everywhere? I thought this was America! Land of the free! Until it bothers you right? Why doesn't the poster who complains about "Spanish" signs on businesses in Miami complain about the Koreans or the Chinese and their signs? Sounds hypocritical to me because I don't hear the same venomous outrage directed towards the Asian communities as I do towards those who are hispanic! Why should I have to dilute my culture & speak only English just to accomadate you? It's America and I will speak & conduct business in whatever language I want!
The poster referred to the equivalant of the OP, i.e., signs in Miami of no Spanish, no service. My question was does that make those business owners xenophobic racists to you? IMO, people don't complain about Asian/Indian signs because they usually don't have the obnoxious, demanding, in your face attitude that some Spanish only speakers have, that and most of them at least speak broken English.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi139 View Post
Next time I see a liquor store where the employees are all brown, and speak Spanish ONLY (lots of them in Los Angeles) should I say that they are insulting White English speaking people?

Especially when this is happening in the USA.

Should I go to Mexico, find a store that only hires brown, Spanish speaking people and claim that they are insulting me because I'm White and speak English.

Are you starting to understand the hypocrisy and the arrogance that is coming from the Spanish speaking people??
It would only be arrogant and hypocritical if the liquor store clerks went to the restaurant and wanted service speaking only Spanish. Most other Spanish speakers could care less where you buy your liquor or who the restaurant owner chooses to serve.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
```? It's America and I will speak & conduct business in whatever language I want!
Go right ahead. Just don't expect any special treatment when people cannot understand what you are saying.

Or do you 'conduct business' ONLY with a select group of people? Wouldn't that be racist of you?

Yes, I believe it would. If you don't like this country, please, there are others you can move to full of people who speak your language.

ta ta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies