Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The poster doesn't want anything to do with civilization. His only choice is to go deep into the mountains.
I never said that. i said I didn't want to participate in a monetary economy. simple as that. a monetary system does not have a monopoly on progress and civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I never said that. i said I didn't want to participate in a monetary economy. simple as that. a monetary system does not have a monopoly on progress and civilization.
Yes it does. You can't do much without money in terms of growth and you sure can't interact with civilization without it.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Capitalism is mostly about choice and is far from perfect, but works. I don't agree with current Republican views about how capitalism should operate. I'm more comfortable with the Democratic view of capitalism.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the OP is questioning the very existence of any private property. He is using land as an example but it could also apply to tools. If I own a hammer and am not using it why shouldn't I give it to you when you need to drive some nails? You would then give it back to me when I needed to build something. The hammer would not be owned by either of us. I would have been made by the blacksmith in return for some food grown by one of us happy users. No money exchanged hands and no taxes were collected because no government was needed.

Unfortunately the ownership culture populated by the I, ME and MINE people allows the owners to steal from others by confiscating public assets (see Cola-Cola stealing public wells in Africa) and force them to play the Capitalist money game. They do not allow any other culture to exist under their rule. They use force to make certain both the farmers and the blacksmith have some of their wealth confiscated by the owners in the name of Mammon’s sacred profits.
So I am assuming you never lock your door, and let anyone who needs a place to stay live in your house whenever they want?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Capitalism is mostly about choice and is far from perfect, but works. I don't agree with current Republican views about how capitalism should operate. I'm more comfortable with the Democratic view of capitalism.
The Democratic view of Capitalism is State Capitalism, AKA Communism or Fascism

Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well that sounds like what he American Indians had in mind. The concept of owning land just did not make sense to them. They were slaughtered. It is tragic.
I take issue with the sentiment that Native Americans had no concept of owning land - or owning people for that matter. Native Americans fought wars with one-another long before Europeans landed in the Americas. Native American empires like the Inca or the Aztec civilizations both engaged in a form of slavery, for example. The Iroquois, conducted warfare and invasions of tribes in the Ohio River valley (Osage, Kaw, Ponca, etc.).

I don't want to diminish the horrific tragedy of the Native Americans as they were displaced by Europeans. But, I think it's important not to canonize them either. They were people, with the same flaws and prejudices as everyone else. They fought over land and the right to control people. To think otherwise is somewhat pretentious.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have let some friends live in my place after they got into real financial difficulties. I trusted these people and most paid me back with gratitude and favors later. A couple of people have not. That's OK. It is just a cost of being civilized.

As far as locking doors is concerned that is my choice. As is weather my guns, if any, are loaded. Those that would do me harm are not welcome.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The Democratic view of Capitalism is State Capitalism, AKA Communism or Fascism
Wrong. The Democratic party is a right-wing party. They are closer to the center, but the party platform supports capitalism and the free market. The only difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to capitalism is that Democrats believe in regulating capitalism.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Why do Capitalists coerce others to participate in a monetary economy?

Defenders of capitalism will say that capitalism is natural and derived from the laws of nature. But how is paying to live on land natural? For thousands, even millions of years, no one payed for land to live on.

How can you say that the use of force is not at the root of Capitalism?

Suppose I don't want to sell and I don't want to buy anything from anyone? I want to live directly off the land with my own two hands?

I don't want to rely on any other humans or them to rely on me.

Why am I not free to do this? I don't believe in owning land. I believe if land is unoccupied you may occupy it until you decide you want to go somewhere else. Then that land or space is open to someone else to use. I don't believe in claiming space and then charging people to occupy a space you're not using.

Nor do I believe anyone had a right to pollute the rivers and then charge people for clean drinking water. How about not polluting the earths water supply in the first place?

If people don't want to live under a monetary economy, why are they forced to do so?
Capitalism (the allocation of capital by private as opposed to government means) has nothing to do with what you are talking about. You are complaining about the lack of freedom.

In a free society we should be free do do as we please as long as we are not harming or forcing others to do what we want.

Since land is not something created by man it is someone that should be available for us as long as no one is paying a rent for the exclusive use of that piece of land. Henry George based his whole economic theory around this concept. The Progress Report -- Independent Daily News

Polluting the rivers and streams is an act of force. The non-aggression principle is something we need to promote.

We are forced to live under our current monetary system because the government outlaws all other forms of currency except for the currency created by the private bank Federal Reserve. It will be interesting to see what the Feds do to us in Utah now that we legalized gold as currency.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Wrong. The Democratic party is a right-wing party. They are closer to the center, but the party platform supports capitalism and the free market. The only difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to capitalism is that Democrats believe in regulating capitalism.
Captialism with heavy regulation is fascism. Essentially the Government is running the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies