Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What's the deal in Rockford?
To answer my own question, it looks like the problem is drug trafficking from nearby Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago-

Location a factor in county
Illinois city among nation’s most dangerous - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localchi/20110526/ts_yblog_localchi/illinois-city-among-nations-most-dangerous - broken link)
Quoted by the Rockford Register Star in 2007, Winnebago County Sheriff Dick Meyers said that he believed the city's "location worked against [it,]" as Rockford receives traffic from the drug markets in Madison, Chicago, and Milwaukee, resulting in heightened rates of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
The study is baloney.

The most dangerous city in the US is Washington DC. By itself one city it is systematically robbing, raping, pillaging, and terrorizing an entire nation.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That and the decline of the men of the area, with a lot being sucked into dealing, and the lure of the quick buck.
That's bull, to be honest.
Personal responsibility. Lots of people could use more money.

Including my families who immigrated from Europe in the early 20th century. Poor as anything. But they set up businesses, they worked, they did things other than breaking the law and putting themselves and their spouses and children at risk.

"Sucked into dealing." Ha.
No, they made that decision fair and square.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Have cities always been this dangerous

What changed to make these places so violent?
Why not ask one of your fellow conservatives, oh wait, they already have answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
With the exception of Stockton, all of the cities on the list have a higher percentage of Blacks within the city limits than the nation as a whole.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

[Yes, I know that plenty of blacks are educated and work hard...probably 80%; its that 20% of stereotypical individuals that hold the whole race back. This happens in every ethnic group but it seems that it is actually destroying black America which is sad.]
Really? So i'm being held back? That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
That's bull, to be honest.
Personal responsibility. Lots of people could use more money.

Including my families who immigrated from Europe in the early 20th century. Poor as anything. But they set up businesses, they worked, they did things other than breaking the law and putting themselves and their spouses and children at risk.

"Sucked into dealing." Ha.
No, they made that decision fair and square.
Ok, I didn't say they weren't ultimately personally responsible. But you asked why the neighborhoods declined to the point they have, and your answer, or at least great part of it, is that people were suddenly either doing or dealing crack.

That wasn't an option in the early 20th century. And if you think all immigrants made their money on the up and up then, you'd be mistaken.

Anytime there's an addictive, cheap substance and prohibition, you're going to get gangsters making a quick buck, and terrorizing the descent citizens, who are going to move and leave the low lifes to it, if they can.

There goes the hood.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
The study is baloney.

The most dangerous city in the US is Washington DC. By itself one city it is systematically robbing, raping, pillaging, and terrorizing an entire nation.
And you know this to be how? Did a moose whisper this in your ear? I've been the only white person on a few daytime trips on the Metro and I survived. (Your hyperbole is political, I know.)

Don't know why Rockford is on the list but it makes sense if it is a hub for narcotics. I wasnt aware it was that bad there. As far as Memphis, they used to be a feature city on First 48 until the city pulled the plug on them taking part as they thought the show was "making Memphis look bad".

Umm, no, I think your murder rate is what makes the city look bad.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How many are run by democrats?
New Haven is a sanctuary city dominated by democrats

Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? So i'm being held back? That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.
Your welcome.

...since a black person would not tell you that the crappiest blacks are holding back the whole race.

Whites complain all the time about the "white trash", "Jerry Springer Show" types that are contributing nothing positive to America.

Latinos, Asians, etc...

All of these ethnic groups recognize that a part of their own ethnic groups have unique problems to their own communities and are not pulling their full weight in our society.

But for some reason, if a black person says something negative about the behavior of the lesser folks in their ethnic group they are absolutely attacked and shunned by other supposedly educated blacks ("your an uncle tom", "your a sellout", etc.)

THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT LOOK INWARD AND CRITICIZE THEIR OWN ARE BLACKS.

And if a white person gently brings up the fact that their may be problems in your...

RACIST! RACIST! RACIST! RACIST!

So we get an ethnic community where some people go to college, most people obey the law and work hard and A LOT OF PEOPLE COMMIT VIOLENT CRIMES AND ARE PERMANENT **** UPS.

You may call it "racism"...but the rest of America calls it "reality".

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I have been to 7 of these cities and believe them to be dead on.

St Louis
Baltimore
Memphis
Detroit

are extremely dangerous to even be in.

Wonder why Philly or Newark NJ did not make the list?
Most visitors to Detroit see the downtown area, which is one of the safest parts of the city. I'm curious where you were that you'd say "extremely dangerous to even be in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies