Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
No, it's not ignorant to find black women unattractive. You like what you like. However, it is pretty ignorant to continue debating why black women are unattractive, as if you need to convince the rest of the world. Like I said, I don't find Asian women very attractive. There I said it (twice, even).

The difference is, I'm not bigoted towards Asian women. I respect all women. I simply don't find Asian women attractive. But I think it would be quite bigoted and IGNORANT for me to pick them apart and degrade their features and aspects of their culture to justify why I think they are unattractive and needlessly belabor the point based on assumptions. Doing so, like some of the posters here referring to black women, is ignorant.
I hear ya. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The fact that it is common for black women to be repulsed by the appearence of white men yet black men are generally not repulsed (in many cases just the opposite) by white women has more real life implications for black women that this study will ever have.

Also interesting to note that while not all white men feel attraction towards black women, few feel the sense of repulsion that you describe many black women have towards white men.
The majority of Black men date or marry Black women.

The majority of White man date or marry White women.

The majority of Latino men date or marry Lationo women.

As a group Asian Americans have the highest ratio of mixed marriages. But they are one of the smallest racial/ethnic demographics in the country.

I won't discount the fact the interracial relationships and marriages seem to be more socially acceptable in much of the United States than in any other time in our nation's history. But they still account for less than 20% of all marriages in this country.

So what's your point.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
F what they talking about! This is my bliss!

My toes are curling just looking at these sisters.......aint no competition for me. Black women fo shizzel!
Nice pics!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Colonialism, Slavery and the Caste Systems also played a role in how we look at beauty today. During these time periods it was blatantly and indirectly taught that the European female was the standard/pinnacle of beauty. Blacks, Indians, Native Americans etc... with European features were considered more appealing, attractive and less inferior. This is still somewhat of an issue today. The myth of white supremacy which was brought about to validate slavery and colonialism, still has its lingering effects in today's society.

Some of what we perceive as beauty has been socially constructed.

Some of us believe the hype, some of us do not.
Give this man a cigar!

That's in a nutshell sums up the whole issue. The prevailing culture plays a role in determining a given standard of beauty. In a media driven visual society who the prevailing power brokers determine as "beautiful" plays a role on who society preceives as attractive.

Some people fall for the hype and others have their own preferences.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Bingo. Someone brought up Gabrielle Union as an example when we all know damn well that the overwhelming majority of black women don't look anything like her and she has many features which are predominately "white".

Check out the cover of Essense magazine going back years, they take pride in putting black women on the cover who spend a lot of time and money to look less like a typical black women.
What's a typical Black woman?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Black women come in a wide range of skin tones, body sizes and shapes, hair textures, and other body features.

To insinuate there is a "typical" Black women is deal more in stereotypes than reality. But considering the poster I can't say I'm surprised.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
you'd think C-D would do a better job at patrolling these threads for the bigoted undertones some of these posts turn toward...
They don't and this thread so far has been rather mild so far in comparison to others.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Black women come in a wide range of skin tones, body sizes and shapes, hair textures, and other body features.

To insinuate there is a "typical" Black women is deal more in stereotypes than reality. But considering the poster I can't say I'm surprised.
He's working the nightswatch with his partner, Joe Friday.

Just the blacks, ma'am.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Quote:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

It says I have to spread some reputation around but good post

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
'Memba this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ves-study.html

heh

Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

There very much is a a typical black woman just like there's a typical white woman and a typical asian woman. Denying that there are typical attributes associated with women of certain races is ignorant. Nobody said they all look the same, don't get so upset...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies