Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
we know better in this day and age
Yes, we know better now that 13.5 billion years worth of evolutionary science are wrong and we're right.

We've taught ourselves we're right, that must make it true.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Of course this sounds bad but...

Civilizations, in the past, shed away from lepers, the obese, the frail, the sickly.. etc.

They didn't do it because they hated those people, although it may look like hate.

It has more to do with threatening the existence of the species, rational or not.

They aren't the ideal mate.

Destroy the rest of the population and that's all that's left, they be humping open sores like rabbits trying to reproduce.
Civilizations in the past also believed that such things were caused by demons.

Modern technology and science led to greater advances in curing diseases.

We know homosexuality is not a disease.

No, it's not about "threatening the existence of the species". If it were, why were some civilizations completely open to the idea of homosexuals, but EVERY civilization is not open to the idea to having the sick integrated in the population? The hatred of homosexuality is cultural. That's it.

Also, we shouldn't base our modern laws on what happened in the bronze age. We know more now.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM

80 posts, read 42,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then what's your point? Is it simply that you think it's "maladaptive and abnormal"? Maybe when you have some real scientific research to back up what you're saying, I'll have more respect for your opinion on this subject.

And I'm not PC - believe me. But I do have respect for research and science.
It's quite amazing how quick people are to claim bigotry, racism, etc. when there is no evidence to back up their claims. Good job dodging my questions.

I had an argument with a family member regarding this subject and started this topic to get input from an outside source(s) to gain a little perspective.

I have stated reasons why I feel homosexuality is maladaptive and abnormal and have read many responses that don't directly relate to those issues. Instead of personal attacks, address the issue please. Keep things civil.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yes, we know better now that 13.5 billion years worth of evolutionary science are wrong and we're right.

We've taught ourselves we're right, that must make it true.
Civilizations were not around 13.5 billion years ago. And yes, we know A LOT more about genetics and evolution to be quite certain about homosexuality.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
You are not very open-minded as you like to think if you think you are right in your thinking.

My brother is gay and tells me that he felt he was different and was attracted to boys as a young boy. I've also heard from other gays that they knew at a young age that they were gay.

God doesn't make junk or abnormality. Everyone has a reason to be here on this Earth. And I, for one, will not judge what is right or wrong.
I actually believe (from discussions I've had with a homosexual friend) that people are born homosexual and that it is not a conscious choice.

I've never stated that being gay is wrong. If you can find evidence that I have, please enlighten me.

I'm actually extremely open-minded. But thanks anyway!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Civilizations in the past also believed that such things were caused by demons.

Modern technology and science led to greater advances in curing diseases.

We know homosexuality is not a disease.

No, it's not about "threatening the existence of the species". If it were, why were some civilizations completely open to the idea of homosexuals, but EVERY civilization is not open to the idea to having the sick integrated in the population? The hatred of homosexuality is cultural. That's it.

Also, we shouldn't base our modern laws on what happened in the bronze age. We know more now.
I guess the bronze age is the new talking point.

Those civilizations that were open to the idea also "believed that such things were caused by demons."

Yeah, you said that, not me.

You don't seem to understand the drivers behind evolution.

The main theme is genes and their transfer through reproduction.

That leaves those willfully negating reproduction on the ash heap of history.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
And if scientists did indeed deem homosexuality to be maladaptive or abnormal, what then?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Civilizations were not around 13.5 billion years ago. And yes, we know A LOT more about genetics and evolution to be quite certain about homosexuality.

Really, what's so certain about homosexuality?

You can't pass it down by genes... genes don't get passed down without reproduction.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
The fact that the OP opens with the statement "liberal garbage" and does not provide any logical basis for their assertions (slavery and homosexuality comparison) shows that the OP is bigoted and set in his/her way.

Many have challenged the logic only to be met with arguments that you have made in the past that were laughable then as they are now.
Sorry for using an analogy that included slavery bro! I forgot the PC police were out in full force! Next time I'll use a "socially accepted" analogy.

The analogy that I used, although un-PC, was used to display the illogical nature of the argument against my own, not to back up my statement that homosexuality is maladaptive and abnormal. I guess you didn't comprehend that, I'll try to keep it simple (and PC) next time around.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs985 View Post
It's quite amazing how quick people are to claim bigotry, racism, etc. when there is no evidence to back up their claims. Good job dodging my questions.

I had an argument with a family member regarding this subject and started this topic to get input from an outside source(s) to gain a little perspective.

I have stated reasons why I feel homosexuality is maladaptive and abnormal and have read many responses that don't directly relate to those issues. Instead of personal attacks, address the issue please. Keep things civil.
I addressed the issue, yet you dodged my response.

Why should be civil towards you? You're a bigot. Plain and simple. The earth revolves around the sun, the capital of France is Paris and you are a bigot. All facts.

You clearly don't know anthropology for making that ludicrous comparison of normalization of slavery in Sudan vs. homosexuality (one is a cultural trait the other is genetic). You then essentially stated it's maladaptive because you don't produce offspring (regardless of not knowing that family members of homosexuals are more fertile and more adapted to have male offspring...since homosexuality in males corresponds to increased ability to carry male offspring due to a women's ability to feminize the fetus causing methylation at certain points of the fetal genome...this causes expression of certain genes leading to homosexuality). You don't know about twin studies that have shown that one twin is more likely to be gay if the other twin is gay, whereas siblings have the same affect, the effect is greatly diminished. Twins separated at birth show the same statistical probabilities as those not separated.

Plain and simple people have pointed you in how you're logic is flawed, yet you willfully ignore them and continue condemning homosexuality. With that, it tells most people that you are a bigot. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies