Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
and guess what state.....

Cali....

District to 'affirm' Ebonics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
That report is nearly 6 years old...
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If you're going to speak Ebonics, at least get the grammar right.

Contrary to popular belief, Ebonics is not just an accidental medley of words and phrases put together randomly. There are consistent grammatical rules to Ebonics that change the meaning of a sentence accordingly. They are just different from those of standard American English.

"You tired", "You be tired", and "You done been tired" all have distinct meanings. They're not just three ways of saying you're tired.

Not to mention, other languages like standard Russian use copulation deletion and consider it to be proper grammar. For example, Russian for "you're tired" is: ты уставший ty ustavshy -- literally "you tired". However in Russian it is not mocked as being ungrammatical or "not speaking" or "unintelligent" because it's an accepted standard form in Russian.
Wanted to totally agree with this!! Finally someone who knows something about linguistics. To all who don't know the Black Vernacular (coined in present day as Ebonics) is a derivative in its context and structure to various African languages and similar to other languages based in Sanskrit. It is not a foreign language but a dialect or pidgin (aka creole) dialect.

That said, I am black and do not feel it should be taught in school as a way of communication. But if it is being taught with a cultural background so that black people and others will know that it is not a dumb or low class, made up language, then that is all and well to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Can you name a negative stat which blacks don't have locked up?

Since you asked - the largest number of food stamp recipients, the largest number of medicaid recipients, the largest ethnic group with reports of child abuse, the largest ethnic group of serial killers. I could go on, but all of the leading number of people in the above are white people. This thread is about Ebonics, not negative stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to totally agree with this!! Finally someone who knows something about linguistics. To all who don't know the Black Vernacular (coined in present day as Ebonics) is a derivative in its context and structure to various African languages and similar to other languages based in Sanskrit. It is not a foreign language but a dialect or pidgin (aka creole) dialect.

That said, I am black and do not feel it should be taught in school as a way of communication. But if it is being taught with a cultural background so that black people and others will know that it is not a dumb or low class, made up language, then that is all and well to me.
I would definitely teach standard English in school too. It's true that you need standard English to get most jobs and make a generally positive impression on most people and for that reason alone, it should definitely be taught in schools. I just don't think that Ebonics/Black Vernacular should be looked down upon because linguistically it's no more or less than standard American English. A lot of my family is black and code-switches between SAE and BV and I code-switch right along with them without even thinking about it.

Just to give some perspective to other readers, the same phenomenon occurs with American Sign Language as well. There is a Black Vernacular variant of ASL that is just as rich in vocabulary and consistent grammatically as standard ASL. ASL is also much less standardized than English because there is no official written form and for a long time Deaf communities were much more isolated and developed strong regional dialects. As a result, regional signs and ways of signing aren't looked down upon by the Deaf community today but instead are just seen as different. The reason I bring this up is because I hope that the larger hearing community can adopt that same attitude with spoken languages.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
was this necessary though?
maybe, maybe not. but one of the 1st simple steps the AA community can do is to embrace proper english. i'm sure cosby and sowell and other AA's would agree. as a matter of fact i know an AA successful woman who chastised her son for making fun of his sister because he felt his sister 'talked white'. she basically told him: 'son, there are times and places to speak however you want, and then there are times and places where you simply CAN'T."

now if all AA's would embrace this way of thinking...... (sigh, what a nice thought)

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,917,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
and guess what state.....

Cali....

District to 'affirm' Ebonics

YouTube - ‪jive talk (AIRPLANE)‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Yes because only "white" people know what "degradation" is!

"White" people don't do crack they prefer booze and Heroin!

"White" people also don't "murder" each other right?

"White" people also don't get "pregnant"! Yet the most popular MTV show is "16 & Pregnant" and "Teen Mom"!
Whites do all of the things you mentioned.

When black people list the bad things white people do to other white people whites don't cry "racism". Whites only claim racism when they are denied a job or college entry slot because someone else's great-great grandfather may have owned a slave.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Why do blacks get so much heat for "Ebonics" what about the millions of whites that speak that country bumpkin crap that I cant understand for the life of me.
No one claims "country bumpkin crap" is a legitimate language.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
No one claims "country bumpkin crap" is a legitimate language.
Acadien. Au Metropole, et aussi dans certain pays en Afrique...vraiment dans le monde Francophone, on ponce les gens qui le parles sont betes. Mais, il y'a des gens qui ponce cette une langue avec une certaine richesse, parce que c'est leur culture. C'est la meme choses avec Afrikaans et Neerlandais)

(Cajun. In Metropolitan France, and also in certain African nations...really in the French speaking world, we think that people that speak it are dumb. However, there are those people that think it is a language with a certain richness to it, because it is a part of their culture. It's the same thing with Afrikaans and Dutch).

I think that much of it is elitist. Languages evolve. Look at Vulgar Latin (Dante's Inferno...later Italian) vs. Latin. At the time, there were debates and many people were upset at the vulgarization and rise of different dialects. Now these are codified languages.

While the same will probably not arise from Ebonics (we are too entrenched socially and economically), it should not be derided for its mere existence.

What should happen is simply the teaching of standard English and using Ebonics as a tool if need be. If studies show that it works, then maybe that's how we should teach standard English. If studies show that it doesn't work, then we do something else.

The first step is do conduct studies, then to implement a plan...not simply throw out an idea because some people are uncomfortable with it.

BTW, what is the current situation of this...given the age of the article.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The devil is in the details ... I think it reflects badly on WND to republish an old article as if it were current.

I'll counter that with all the stupid left wing comments in this thread....

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
What the hell does the 10th century have to do with anything?
It's an accepted language that has evolved over many centuries....

Again, prove ebonics is part of thier cultural language and i'll agree with you.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This

Since you asked - the largest number of food stamp recipients, the largest number of medicaid recipients, the largest ethnic group with reports of child abuse, the largest ethnic group of serial killers. I could go on, but all of the leading number of people in the above are white people. This thread is about Ebonics, not negative stereotypes.
Serial killers, child molesters, Columbine shootings or just office shootings in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies