Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Because it is a slippery slope. If you allow the government to confiscate the wealth of the rich, when there are no more rich to confiscate from, they will be coming after your money.
And that's what it is....robbery. (Mis)using the "general welfare" clause, the US Government is taking my money and giving it to someone else. That's not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
No I don't want to do that, but if it were proposed, I can't say I would go out of my way to make it my personal mission to defend the wealthy and their wealth.

So then the question is: Why is it so important to some of you? Why do you feel so strongly about other people's unlimited wealth that you make it your own cause?
Because the great thing about America is being able to accomplish anythin. I will never be as wealthy as Gates or Buffet...but I am still going to try...and I certainly don't want people taking money from my hard efforts to redistribute to those who don't work as hard as me.

Also, this is a slppery slope, as it seems the Govt wants to keep applying the "tax the Rich" BS to differing levels of income. To some, 250K is rich...which is no where near being rich.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Because it is a slippery slope. If you allow the government to confiscate the wealth of the rich, when there are no more rich to confiscate from, they will be coming after your money.
In Conspiracyland yes. Meanwhile, back in reality, we are still mainly a democracy, and if anything we would be even more of a democracy if wealth (and thus power and influence) were not so concentrated.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Right on!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Because the great thing about America is being able to accomplish anythin. I will never be as wealthy as Gates or Buffet...but I am still going to try...and I certainly don't want people taking money from my hard efforts to redistribute to those who don't work as hard as me.
Wow they really sold you on that one, lol. Yeah, keep on envisioning yourself as the next Gates; meanwhile I'll do my best to ensure that there's help for you if and when reality has other plans for your life.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
In Conspiracyland yes. Meanwhile, back in reality, we are still mainly a democracy, and if anything we would be even more of a democracy if wealth (and thus power and influence) were not so concentrated.
That is the nature of the beast. There will be winners and loosers in society. Having the ability to work hard and be one of these winners makes America great to live in. People who are winners should not be punished..simply because the have nots believe it is theri right to theri possessions...

Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Wow they really sold you on that one, lol. Yeah, keep on envisioning yourself as the next Gates; meanwhile I'll do my best to ensure that there's help for you if and when reality has other plans for your life.
I will pass, I would rather have high inspirations where others can be happy and content where they are in life....those who work can be successful....I have had plenty, simply by hard work and perseverence ...
My reality is what I want to make of it...

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
What does wealth have to do with Democracy? Poor people can vote too you know.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
That is the nature of the beast. There will be winners and loosers in society. Having the ability to work hard and be one of these winners makes America great to live in. People who are winners should not be punished..simply because the have nots believe it is theri right to theri possessions...
It's like the past seven pages never even happened. Back to square one: winners versus "loosers" (not singling you out, lots of people make this mistake, but I always love the irony of it ).

Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"We are writing to urge you to put our country ahead of politics. For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you increase taxes on incomes over $1,000,000. We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more. Our country faces a choice - we can pay our debts and build for the future, or we can shirk our financial responsibilities and cripple our nation's potential. Our country has been good to us. It provided a foundation through which we could succeed. Now, we want to do our part to keep that foundation strong so that others can succeed as we have. Please do the right thing for our country. Raise our taxes".

Over 100 hundred millionaires have signed a petition to have more money taken out of their taxes, trying to start a movement to get all the rich who are getting tax cuts from Bush's failed economic policies to pay their fair share. Theres only one problem. The Republicans in office absolutely refuse to even entertain the idea. This is madness. Are they so jaded in their love for the rich and all the benefits that go with it that they won't even read the letter?

OpEdNews - Article: Rich Sign Petition to Pay More Taxes

Boy, they must really want a piece of Libya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies