Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the decline of manliness is good or bad?
It's more good than bad 13 22.81%
It's more bad than good 44 77.19%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Now...I have to agree...that's a feminine thing for a guy to do!

I mean...when a guy is better waxed than a gal, something just really wrong about that.
Why?

It's manly to shave your face but not anywhere else? That doesn't make sense...

Was it unmanly to wear white powdered wigs?

Was it unmanly to wear tight silk pants?

Was it unmanly to wear earrings?

Was it unmanly to wear robes?

Was it unmanly to wear makeup?

All's been done for hundres of years....

And all is crap....the definitions of "manly", "masculine" are all an individual thing......and meaningless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhumanist View Post
Nowadays being a "man" means that you absolutely agree with your girlfriend/wife/fiance/or girl you like, even if they are wrong. You're spineless, flimsy, liberal, weak, and let people walk all over you.
Sorry you know so few people....

Years ago being a "woman " meant that you absolutely agreed with your husband/father/any other man even if they were wrong. You were spineless, flimsy,conservative, weak, and let people walk all over you...some really ignorant people think you still should be.

Why is that bad for a man but good for a woman ?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
How about men who spend forty minutes in front of mirrors, or wax their chest hair? Very unmanly if you ask me.
Those men are either gay or stupid.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I believe that men have definitely been feminized over the past yhree decades or so.

Men should look and act like men.

No "skinny jeans" with flip-flops and a "man bag".

No acting "emo".
What's "a man?" Nothing more than an opinion your mind formed through cultural conditioning. Men, and women, should act like themselves.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM

15,062 posts, read 8,625,891 times
I was going to respond to a couple of specific posts that seem to tie the OP's question to abuse of women, as if that is the main trait of "manliness" ... of course, this type of distortion always comes from the same "usual suspects", so, I'll just ignore the extremist rhetoric and address the point of the thread .. which has nothing to do with mistreating women.

There is MOST DEFINITELY a feminizing of males that has been showing up for the past 2 or 3 decades, and the evidence of this is both visually observable in both appearance and behavior, as well as scientifically measurable in changes in blood chemistry.

These blood chemistry and hormonal changes are primarily associated with exposure/intake of phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens in diet and mainstream pharmaceutical drugs, chemicals, plastics etc. .... and the mountain of evidence that exists for anyone to inspect (should they care to drop the rhetoric and actually address the matter conscientiously) is overwhelming. And, there is no way, at this point, to dismiss this as anything other than purposeful.

I would cite the major shift to Soy in the 1960's as one of the main culprits, though there are many, many others. The Soy industry is a rather recent development, historically speaking with a major agricultural shift in soy production ... which really began in earnest during the "saturated fat" war that started in the late 1950's but didn't really take firm hold until the 1960's and 1970's. And the debilitating effects of Soy, even today, has been well hidden, and is virtually unknown to the general public. (of course this is a conspiracy theory in the minds of many who haven't legitimately researched the subject). Moreover, today's soy production is about 90% GMO Soy (Roundup resistant gene modified).

Most people think of Soy as a health food ... and you'll often find Soy products in the health food section of supermarkets. The reality is, you have a hard time finding any processed food that doesn't contain soy ... including some of the most unlikely products, like canned tuna packed in spring water ... yes ... even there. It's everywhere ... from "vegetable oil" to "mayonnaise" ... every baked product, and any product that uses an oil, most often, it is Soy. The United States has one of the highest, if not he highest dietary intakes of Soy in the world. And it is pure poison, and it's estrogenic effects are still being denied by mainstream medicine and science ... along with the cumulative effects of all the other sources of these estrogenic chemicals in the diet and environment.

Honest, independent research consider these compounds "gender bending", with Soy alone causing tremendous harm ...

Now PAY ATTENTION:

Pay particular attention to the issue of Soy formula for babies. A baby that consumes soy formula is literally taking the equivalent of 5 BIRTH CONTROL PILLS PER DAY of estrogen!!!! Between 13000 and 22000 times the normal levels! This can manifest in early onset puberty for females, and delayed or even prevent puberty in boys. How much more evidence is required? Really? Can anyone still think?

YouTube - ‪The Soy Myth: Soy is Not a Health Food‬‏

YouTube - ‪SOY-THE DEADLY POISON_ FRIGHTENING‬‏

YouTube - ‪Soy Myths Exposed: The Dangers of Soy‬‏

OK ... now that is just Soy. Another very common exposure to estrogenic compounds among children (and adults) is chemical sunscreens. Good mothers and fathers all over the country are literally bathing their children in sunscreens to avoid the alleged threat of ultraviolet radiation damage leading to skin cancer, as well as the practical element of avoiding sunburn. It's a disaster, but you are PROGRAMMED .....

What immediately comes to mind if I were to say ... "Today is going to be a blistering hot, sunny day ... so if you plan to be out in the sun today, don't forget your "fill in the blank". I'll bet 99.9% immediately say "Sunscreen" ... the higher the SPF, the better, right?

Think again:

The Chemical Sunscreen Health Disaster (http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html - broken link)

Now, it is scientifically proven that estrogen has a "gender bending" effect on males, and is part of the regimen for sexual reassignment. Though in this case, as a self serving act on the part of pharmaceutical industry and their profits, along with good reasons that coincide with the discussion here ... phytoestrogens (plant based) are dismissed as having any profound effectiveness in sexual reassignment. It's a fraud. phytoestrogens behave just like pharmaceutical grade estrogen in the body, which is why they are labeled as such.

So ... in support of the OP's topic here ... there is absolute evidence of feminizing males, chemically, via common diet and common use of modern chemical compounds ... including the estrogen based liners used in most canned food products. That's right ... the plastic used to line aluminum cans is an estrogen based plastic!! In fact, most plastics release estrogenic compounds ... even BPA free plastics, according to Chemical and Engineering News:

Most Plastics Release Estrogenic Chemicals | Latest News | Chemical & Engineering News

The reality is ... the population is being bombarded with estrogenic compounds from virtually every direction .. water, food, common containers, common practices like the use of sunscreens, etc.

Couple this with the psychological reprogramming that is occurring from media entertainment and fashion which has long been promoting the glory of the metrosexual male ... this just leads people to believe that this appearance of feminizing of males is just trendy and natural change in society, which is merely fashion based. It's not.

The evidence is undeniable. And this is not coincidental. Just like the use of fluoride is geared toward dumbing down and making passive the population in general, this estrogenic attack on males is geared toward feminizing and making them less aggressive and less a threat to the authority structure ... while reducing fertility in concert with population control and reduction.

This isn't a conspiracy theory ... this is fact, and the evidence is overwhelming.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
I definitely notice this. I don't let it effect me. In the hood, everything is basically still the same. Same masculine mentality and hoodlums running amuck. It's mainly changing in growing metropolitan areas like Los Angeles and New York. But I admit there's a change even in the hood. Within the younger generation. I'm currently in high school and I notice more kids are coming out as either bisexual or gay and I definitely attribute this to the gay agenda being shoved into our faces with MTV and BET and all the biggest music artist. I have noticed over the last 10 years, there's a decline in the masculine identity of men in America. And I blame it entirely on liberals, feminist, absent fathers, and atheist. They are the ones who are responsible for this and they don't care that they are destroying our nation. I'm in constant shock and awe at the latest things I'm hearing and discovering in my high school. We need to return to a masculine identity that we once had because all these other countries think we're a bunch of pansies and wusses. And I am absolutely floored by it all. All I have to say is, good luck if you support the liberal party. You'll regret it.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Once upon a time I carried a "man bag" in public without ridicule and with the approval of the men I was associated with. Maybe this was because of what was in the bag, as what is in the person, was more important than the appearance. I do not worry about “being a man” because I know I am one because the women I associate with said so.

FWIW the “man bag” contained a first aid kit with extra bandages and about 50 12 gauge shot gun shells loaded with slugs. I and my associates were at war at the time and did not wonder about being men or not. We only worried about staying alive.

Please remember John Wayne knew he was not Rooster Cogburn.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM

15,062 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Once upon a time I carried a "man bag" in public without ridicule and with the approval of the men I was associated with. Maybe this was because of what was in the bag, as what is in the person, was more important than the appearance. I do not worry about “being a man” because I know I am one because the women I associate with said so.

FWIW the “man bag” contained a first aid kit with extra bandages and about 50 12 gauge shot gun shells loaded with slugs. I and my associates were at war at the time and did not wonder about being men or not. We only worried about staying alive.

And Rock Hudson knew he wasn't a dashing ladies man.

Your point?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

The only man bag I wanna see a guy carrying is gonna have to be between his legs!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhumanist View Post
Has anyone else noticed a loss of manliness over the course of the past hundred years or so? It seems like men are slowly becoming more and more like women. Men are starting to think it's acceptable to show their emotions and be open, more like girls than men. Don't get me wrong, sometimes this can be a good thing and can lead to more successful relationships and to accepting other people for who they are. However it can also be done too much, to the point where it becomes pathetic, liberal, weak, and general failures of society. It can also lead to ruining relationships, since while many girls claim to want a really sensitive guy, they also want a strong man with a mysterious dark side to him. Please tell me that I'm not the only person here who noticed this. Also, what do you suggest we do about it? And last but not least, do you think that the loss of manliness is more good than bad or more bad than good?
I guess what many people misinterpret of a loss of manliness is in reality the end of the submissiveness of girls and women, which is a good thing in my view.

I always wonder what exactly it is some people are missing in modern boys and men Dark side? I don't have a dark side and why would I even want any? Just so the few sluts interested in neanderthals are happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies