Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econ101 View Post
You forgot to mention that Bill Clinton cut capital gains taxes when he was president. This was about the same time he raised taxes on social security recipients.

That's how democrats balanced the budget. Gave tax cuts to the wealthy and made the poor and elderly pay for it.
That actually gets backed up if you look at the Obama "debt commission" report. They said that the answer was not to raise everyones taxes, but in actual, it was to raise taxes on those that dont pay..

Its one of those reports the liberals have been strongly quiet about. Havent heard a peep from Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I do not understand why some people hate the working poor, who work just as hard as everyone else, but have very little to show for their hard work.
Why the victim mentality? Many people who have little to show for their hard work are in that position because they've made bad life and financial decisions.

Read the book, The Millionaire Next Door.
Quote:
CHAPTER ONE

Meet the Millionaire Next Door
  • These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names. Where are the millionaires who look like millionaires?
The person who said this was a vice president of a trust department. He made these comments following a focus group interview and dinner that we hosted for ten first-generation millionaires. His view of millionaires is shared by most people who are not wealthy. They think millionaires own expensive clothes, watches, and other status artifacts. We have found this is not the case.
As a matter of fact, our trust officer friend spends significantly more for his suits than the typical American millionaire. He also wears a $5,000 watch. We know from our surveys that the majority of millionaires never spent even one-tenth of $5,000 for a watch. Our friend also drives a current-model imported luxury car. Most millionaires are not driving this year's model. Only a minority drive a foreign motor vehicle. An even smaller minority drive foreign luxury cars. Our trust officer leases, while only a minority of millionaires ever lease their motor vehicles. But ask the typical American adult this question: Who looks more like a millionaire? Would it be our friend, the trust officer, or one of the people who participated in our interview? We would wager that most people by a wide margin would pick the trust officer. But looks can be deceiving.
Read the book, there's a lot more info. There's NO EXCUSE for anyone other than the genuinely incapacitated to artificially play broke (no money) "victim."

Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why the victim mentality? Many people who have little to show for their hard work are in that position because they've made bad life and financial decisions.

Read the book, The Millionaire Next Door. Read the book, there's a lot more info. There's NO EXCUSE for anyone other than the genuinely incapacitated to artificially play broke (no money) "victim."
Do you know anything about human nature? In a perfect world if everyone made the correct decision financially, laws and cultures would change so that there would be winners and losers. Contrast, whats mine is mine, whats yours is mine.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Do you know anything about human nature? In a perfect world if everyone made the correct decision financially, laws and cultures would change so that there would be winners and losers. Contrast, whats mine is mine, whats yours is mine.
Winners and losers, yes, but many more would be able support themselves without taking money from those who make responsible life and financial decisions.

Again, there is NO EXCUSE for the "victim" mentality I see on broad display in this thread.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Thank for your input..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I completely agree. I understand why some peoople have little respect for the people who do nothing and desire to do nothing, and they are completely happy getting paid a very little by the govt., but do nothing in return.

I do not understand why some people hate the working poor, who work just as hard as everyone else, but have very little to show for their hard work. Why do they get such contempt from the right wing.
I respect the latter.

I do not respect the former.

As for why, I wish I knew. Maybe Fox News (which I like by the way) doesn't do a good enough job of making the distinction. As a media source of information, Fox, etc. owes it to their audience to be articulate and contradistinguish the two as different.

Last edited by grimace8; 06-12-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
He would be equally disturbed by the power of corporations, land owners and the government.

Conservatives are quick to point to Jefferson except for what he says about the privileged elite. He is after all a Classical Liberal.

LOL, you have no idea what a classical lberal is, do you?

Classical liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2011, 02:50 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, you have no idea what a classical lberal is, do you?

Classical liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Insult posts are so 3rd grade, grow up.

"Classical liberalism is a philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.[1]"

Yep, sounds like me.

Modern conservatives and libertarians tend to ignore the portion of liberty that talks about the difference between government granted privilege and productive wealth.

Did you actually read the WIKI link you posted?

It is sad how conservatives pick and choose from the founders.

Here are three quotes from Classical Liberals mentioned in your authoratitive WIKI source.

Men did not make the earth.... It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds. [RIGHT]--Tom Paine, "Agrarian Justice," paragraphs 11 to 15
[/RIGHT]

Ground rents are a species of revenue which the owner, in many cases, enjoys without any care or attention of his own. Ground rents are, therefore, perhaps a species of revenue which can best bear to have a peculiar tax imposed upon them. [RIGHT]--Adam Smith
[/RIGHT]

A right of property in movable things is admitted before the establishment of government. A separate property in lands not till after that establishment.... He who plants a field keeps possession of it till he has gathered the produce, after which one has as good a right as another to occupy it. Government must be established and laws provided, before lands can be separately appropriated and their owner protected in his possession. Till then the property is in the body of the nation. [RIGHT]--Thomas Jefferson[/RIGHT]

Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Insult posts are so 3rd grade, grow up.

"Classical liberalism is a philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.[1]"

Yep, sounds like me.

Modern conservatives and libertarians tend to ignore the portion of liberty that talks about the difference between government granted privilege and productive wealth.

Did you actually read the WIKI link you posted?

It is sad how conservatives pick and choose from the founders.

Here are three quotes from Classical Liberals mentioned in your authoratitive WIKI source.

Men did not make the earth.... It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds. [RIGHT]--Tom Paine, "Agrarian Justice," paragraphs 11 to 15
[/RIGHT]

Ground rents are a species of revenue which the owner, in many cases, enjoys without any care or attention of his own. Ground rents are, therefore, perhaps a species of revenue which can best bear to have a peculiar tax imposed upon them. [RIGHT]--Adam Smith
[/RIGHT]

A right of property in movable things is admitted before the establishment of government. A separate property in lands not till after that establishment.... He who plants a field keeps possession of it till he has gathered the produce, after which one has as good a right as another to occupy it. Government must be established and laws provided, before lands can be separately appropriated and their owner protected in his possession. Till then the property is in the body of the nation. [RIGHT]--Thomas Jefferson[/RIGHT]

It wasn't meant as an insult just a statement of fact. A fact you reinforce with this post. From my link.

"Classical liberalism places a particular emphasis on the sovereignty of the individual, with private property rights being seen as essential to individual liberty. This forms the philosophical basis for laissez-faire public policy.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It wasn't meant as an insult just a statement of fact. A fact you reinforce with this post. From my link.

"Classical liberalism places a particular emphasis on the sovereignty of the individual, with private property rights being seen as essential to individual liberty. This forms the philosophical basis for laissez-faire public policy.
Don't you need to know what is in my mind in order for it to become fact? You stated a theory, one that is completely without merit.

What have I advocated that goes against any of those tenants you quoted from WIKI? (a source that can be added to with people with a bias toward one particular slant)

Per your source Thomas Paine is a classical Liberal and as I posted he wrote "It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

Private property are things created, not natural entities such as land and natural resources.

As you see classical liberals advocate a form of tax on the rich (and others) who receive government granted and protected benefits. This is one of MANY difference between true advocates of liberty and modern day conservatives.

It seems like you may want to expand your knowledge before you make claims about a theory and another persons knowledge.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Don't you need to know what is in my mind in order for it to become fact? You stated a theory, one that is completely without merit.

What have I advocated that goes against any of those tenants you quoted from WIKI? (a source that can be added to with people with a bias toward one particular slant)

Per your source Thomas Paine is a classical Liberal and as I posted he wrote "It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

Private property are things created, not natural entities such as land and natural resources.

As you see classical liberals advocate a form of tax on the rich (and others) who receive government granted and protected benefits. This is one of MANY difference between true advocates of liberty and modern day conservatives.

It seems like you may want to expand your knowledge before you make claims about a theory and another persons knowledge.

Again your ignorance of classical liberalism is showing. They were in favor of land taxes. Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies