Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
We've gotten used to seeing one of these "green shoots" threads every month or two. Hope springs eternal that one of these times the wishful thinking will finally come true.

There actually is a better chance of improvement now that Obama's "stimulus" fiasco has run its course, especially if we can leverage some real spending cuts into the debt ceiling deal. Even a small step toward slowing the out-of-control spending will do wonders for business and consumer confidence...
Yes the porkulous is ending but the healthcare bill still looms boldly. We simply won't see much hiring until this thing is shelved because business simply don't know how much it's going to end up costing them to hire somebody. Add in the fact who knows who the heck the orator and his buddies will fleece next and I wouldn't be expanding anything till he's voted out. If he won re-election I'd be lookin to move overseas if I were a big corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes the porkulous is ending but the healthcare bill still looms boldly. We simply won't see much hiring until this thing is shelved because business simply don't know how much it's going to end up costing them to hire somebody. Add in the fact who knows who the heck the orator and his buddies will fleece next and I wouldn't be expanding anything till he's voted out. If he won re-election I'd be lookin to move overseas if I were a big corporation.
But there's a big plus side to obamacare - it gives employers a perfect excuse to dump their health care obligations onto the govt. They just pay the fine, stop charging the employees their cost-sharing, and split the savings with the employees. Everybody comes out ahead (well, except the taxpayer of course)...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
But there's a big plus side to obamacare - it gives employers a perfect excuse to dump their health care obligations onto the govt. They just pay the fine, stop charging the employees their cost-sharing, and split the savings with the employees. Everybody comes out ahead (well, except the taxpayer of course)...
That is the goal of the bill and to put private healthcare out of business along the way. Soak the rich! But when there is no money left to take we end up with wild rioters who have their freebies taken away like in Greece. It will happen sooner than later here.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 AM

38,020 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
New claims for unemployment benefits fell last week, while housing starts and permits for future construction rose in May, signs that offered some hope the economy could soon pull out of its soft patch. Here's the link:

Data points to some improvement in economy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110616/ts_nm/us_usa_economy_3 - broken link)
I'd like to hope we will see an end to all this, but the fact is that these small, sporadic increases we are seeing are just bumps in the road. I've seen too many times, where some promising economic news looked like it could be a new upward trend, and then we see it go nowhere. These small bumps seem to be normal fluctuations, but since our economy is so sluggish, any small blip becomes hugely amplified.

so here we are, getting all excited and hopeful over the suggestion of easing.

The reports were the latest to suggest some easing in the economic slowdown that started as the year began. Data this week showed modest declines in retail sales and motor vehicle production in May

Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,302,792 times
LOL, more green shoots.

More hope/change.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
LOL, more green shoots.

More hope/change.
Then there's this:

IMF lowers U.S. economic outlook - Jun. 17, 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies