Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Never in any of these threads has anyone come up with any evidence at all, except to assert that evolution etc., isn't perfected yet.

This is what the Discovery Institute has conceded as to all they have. No Scientific Theory, merely a challenge to evolution. Nothing as of yet that's even remotely as robust as a bona-fide Scientific Theory to replace the ToE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Calvinist:

Where is your evidence that leads you to believe a creator exists?

Can you provide that?
I've repeatedly demonstrated it. I honestly doubt you and the other anti-Creationists here care to see it.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I've repeatedly demonstrated it. I honestly doubt you and the other anti-Creationists here care to see it.
no you haven't.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
No, creationism is not a theory. Here's how it works:

Development of a Simple Theory by the Scientific Method:
  • Start with an observation that evokes a question: Broth spoils when I leave it out for a couple of days. Why?
  • The universe exists. Why?
    Quote:
  • Using logic and previous knowledge, state a possible answer, called a Hypothesis: Tiny organisms floating in the air must fall into the broth and start reproducing.
  • The universe was created.
    Quote:
  • Perform an experiment or Test: After boiling some broth, I divide it into two containers, one covered and one not covered. I place them on the table for two days and see if one spoils. Only the uncovered broth spoiled.
  • Causality shows us that everything that exists was caused by something else to exist.
    Quote:
  • Then publish your findings in a peer-reviewed journal. Publication: "Only broth that is exposed to the air after two days tended to spoil. The covered specimen did not."
  • This is difficult to do when the ones that publish those journals won't let anyone in that doesn't agree with them. However, the cosmological argument is an old one and has been around since before the scientific model.
    Quote:
  • Other scientists read about your experiment and try to duplicate it. Verification: Every scientist who tries your experiment comes up with the same results. So they try other methods to make sure your experiment was measuring what it was supposed to. Again, they get the same results every time.
  • Causality is an accepted thing among most scientists today.
    Quote:

• In time, and if experiments continue to support your hypothesis, it becomes a Theory: Microorganisms from the air cause broth to spoil.
  • Again...experiments routinely conclude that causality exists. Thus, creationism should be widely accepted: The universe exists, so it was caused.
    Quote:
Quote:
As you see, creationism is not a theory. It's a hypothesis, but it's not been tested and published in peer-reviewed, scientific journals and re-tested.

Creationism is a hypothesis based on religion. It is not a theory.
Nope. Try again.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Faith is triumphing over both evidence and logic. No surprise there.

FWIW - The origins of this universe is being studied by many skilled physicists. They have not concluded what the universe actually is (check out string theory) let alone how it happened. My guess is we are the result of the collapse of a previous universe through a humongous black hole. I have no way to experiment with this hypothesis so that is where it remains.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree with your point. But I think it goes without saying that it doesn't matter whether the student learns one theory in Room 25 in the Science Building and the other theory in Room 12 in the History Building. In conjunction with, or completely separate....it simply doesn't matter WHERE they learn it. I believe that it is important to expose students to all theories involving life on Planet earth in order to promote critical thinking skills. Which is what I said from the very beginning of this thread.

In my view, your point is moot.
Yes, it does matter WHERE they learn it. Context always matters. That's why pop culture may be covered in a sociology course, but probably not in a World History course. Shakespeare isn't taught in the geology classes, and religion does not belong in the biology courses. If you teach religion in a science class, it gives religion science credibility that religion does not merit.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Faith is triumphing over both evidence and logic. No surprise there.

FWIW - The origins of this universe is being studied by many skilled physicists. They have not concluded what the universe actually is (check out string theory) let alone how it happened. My guess is we are the result of the collapse of a previous universe through a humongous black hole. I have no way to experiment with this hypothesis so that is where it remains.
The universe is a hologram

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
The universe exists. Why?

The universe was created.

Causality shows us that everything that exists was caused by something else to exist.

This is difficult to do when the ones that publish those journals won't let anyone in that doesn't agree with them. However, the cosmological argument is an old one and has been around since before the scientific model.

Causality is an accepted thing among most scientists today.

Again...experiments routinely conclude that causality exists. Thus, creationism should be widely accepted: The universe exists, so it was caused.

Nope. Try again.
If you apply your causality argument to the universe, you have to apply that same argument in turn to the "creator". If the creator exists, it was caused by something else to exist. Per your own argument. So, who, what created the creator? If you can wrap your mind around the concept that the creator is eternal, and did not require a creator, then how can you not understand the concept that others believe, that the universe did not require a creator and is eternal?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
I have repeatedly given a logical deduction using the cosmological argument for why the universe was created. It's as scientific as any theory about us evolving from apes.
Yeah, it's a brilliant piece of logic. "Everything is created, hence there must be something that's not created, because when I said "everything", I obviously didn't mean - well, everything. Anyway, I call this something God."

How can you argue with that?

Here, have some more: Hundreds of Proofs of God’s Existence

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Causality shows us that everything that exists was caused by something else to exist.
Is God part of the set you named "everything that exists"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies