Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Norway.

Guns are not banned.

It has about 1/4th of the gun deaths per capita compared to the US. Of those, they are, as is the case here, mostly murders committed by a friend or relative. Law abiding citizens being gunned down by criminals is extremely rare.

So I guess your hope came through, and my posts are filled with winning.

Look above.
Apples to oranges. While guns are not expressedly prohibited in Norway they are significantly regulated. Apples to oranges comparison in so many ways. I won't even get into population demographics or dangerous felons released in possession illegally of firearms lest I be labeled a racist. Winning posts? Not even close.

Link to Norwegian gun laws (not translated):
/d: LOV-1961-06-09-1 :d/ Vpenloven. Lov om skytevpen og ammunisjon m.v. [vpenloven].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, who decides then? Is it the gun shop or your government?

Source

More people are gaining Concealed permits....crime goes down when their is an "unknown."

No I do...

Where is the link for the "flash bangs?"
There are certain prerequisites that have to be met for gun ownership, once those are met, you do not have to ask. Those prerequisites are determined by the government, similarly to how it works here. The prerequisites are just different.

And if you do understand the "Per Capita" way of counting, you should know that population numbers are irrelevant, or are you arguing that the US's much higher gun deaths rate is solely based off of a higher population count? If so, feel free to compare the total Gun death number of several European Countries, to make up a larger figure, only to get (more or less) the same result.

Did I ever claim flash bangs have been used? If I did, please quote me.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
This went around the web since around the year 2000. It's a gag.

And camera's are useless in a real life threatening event. My dead in laws had cameras, and the camera's did do squat to save their lives. The cameras were for common thieves not butchers.

My way is to shoot first then take the punk a$$ picture, if I feel like it.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Apples to oranges. While guns are not expressedly prohibited in Norway they are significantly regulated. Apples to oranges comparison in so many ways. I won't even get into population demographics or dangerous felons released in possession illegally of firearms lest I be labeled a racist. Winning posts? Not even close.

Link to Norwegian gun laws (not translated):
/d: LOV-1961-06-09-1 :d/ Vpenloven. Lov om skytevpen og ammunisjon m.v. [vpenloven].
I'm not arguing that the situation is directly comparable, but the US has an abnormally high number of gun related deaths, once you include injuries the difference just gets worse.

That difference is present when compared to any other industrialized nation.

Prey tell, of all homicides, how many of them are committed by an assailant that doesn't know the victim? Rough percentage, what do you think that number is, and I mean here in the US.

As far as the Norwegian weapons law:
Quote:
§ 7. Den som vil kjøpe eller på annen måte erverve skytevåpen eller våpendeler, må ha tillatelse fra politimesteren.

Tillatelse gis av politimesteren på søkerens bosted eller – hvis søkeren ikke har bopel i riket – av politimesteren på oppholdsstedet.

Tillatelse kan bare gis edruelige og pålitelige personer som har behov eller annen rimelig grunn for å ha skytevåpen, og som ikke av særlige grunner kan ansees som uskikket til det.
What that says: "He/She who wish to purchase or in other ways obtain a firearm or parts of firearms must have permission by the (local) chief of police.

Permission is given by the local chief of police for where the applicant applies, or if the applicant does not reside in the kindgom, by the chief of police at the place they currently find themselves.

A permit can only be given "sober"(as in decent), reliable people who has a need or otherwise has reasonable grounds for the ownership of firearms, and not by people who are not fit to own firearms."

What that translates to, when it comes to application of the law, is that you need to be a member of a gun club to obtain a pistol or revolver, or a hunter with a hunting license, for hunting weapons. (Rifles and shotguns).

Automatic weapons, assault rifles etc is generally not allowed, but permits are given to gun collectors, given they keep their weapons safely. These collected weapons can be fully operational.

You may not carry a weapon or "carelessly" transport a weapon, the only people who's allowed to be armed in public is the Army (specifically the Royal Guard, though their weapons aren't loaded, but they carry ammunition), the Police, under certain circumstances and the Royal security (they are the only ones to carry a concealed firearm at all times.).

Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
Quote:
There are certain prerequisites that have to be met for gun ownership, once those are met, you do not have to ask. Those prerequisites are determined by the government, similarly to how it works here. The prerequisites are just different.

And if you do understand the "Per Capita" way of counting, you should know that population numbers are irrelevant, or are you arguing that the US's much higher gun deaths rate is solely based off of a higher population count? If so, feel free to compare the total Gun death number of several European Countries, to make up a larger figure, only to get (more or less) the same result.

I've read that countries with stricter gun control laws have higher instances of stabbings. Also, here's an opinion piece by John Stossel and a video discussing gun control and its impact on crime.
The Gun Control Myth? | Video - ABC News
Gun Control Isn't Crime Control - ABC News

Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
There are a few, however, Hunting and Sport shooting are not one of them, you cannot be a criminal, or have criminal record, or be an illegal, just to name a few......

What are the chances of walking up to a gun shop in Norway and say I want that gun....gun shop owner, "why", just cause I want a gun...that will not get you a gun in norway...

Quote:

Talk to me about about Switzerland?

Quote:
You talk as if they are available?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Rude, mean spirited, unneighborly, and poor grammar to boot.

who cares? guess you dont like his right of free speech.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Norway has better gun law, than Mass and NY, but not by much. NH has close to the best gun laws in the USA. For it we have very little crime compared to most other places like Mass and NY.

Perhaps VT has the best gun laws of the entire USA. VT doesn't screw with their people, and for that they have less crime than NH does, so I hear.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I've read that countries with stricter gun control laws have higher instances of stabbings. Also, here's an opinion piece by John Stossel and a video discussing gun control and its impact on crime.
The Gun Control Myth? | Video - ABC News
Gun Control Isn't Crime Control - ABC News
I'd love to see the numbers on that (re: Stabbing), and in any case, stabbings do not have the same lethality as guns. (aka. it's easier to shoot and kill than stab and kill) Not to say it doesn't happen, of course.

It is very true that the UK for instance has a mounting problem with knife crime and knife deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
There are a few, however, Hunting and Sport shooting are not one of them, you cannot be a criminal, or have criminal record, or be an illegal, just to name a few......

What are the chances of walking up to a gun shop in Norway and say I want that gun....gun shop owner, "why", just cause I want a gun...that will not get you a gun in norway...

Talk to me about about Switzerland?

You talk as if they are available?
That's true, you cannot walk into a place that sells a firearm in Norway and buy a firearm, without first obtaining a permit. Once you have a permit however, the seller has nothing to say as far as why you're buying the firearm. But "I want one" is not considered reason for ownership, no, so you're likely not to get a permit. That being said, you can become a member of a gun club, and problem solved.

All of that being said, again, Norway has about the same saturation (apparently it's actually a little higher) of guns per capita as the US, which means that many homes do in fact have firearms present.

The main difference is the regulation on how to store your weapons, when it comes to weapon storage, Norway is indeed very strict. You have to keep your weapons either in a lockable gun rack or a weapon cabinet (which I think has to be bolted down). The firing pin or bolt has to be removed from the firearm, and ammunition has to be stored in a separate lockable container.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM

I hope the ammo containers are not heavy built and have loose lids. A safe not doing well in a fire sealed tight and stuffed full of ammo is a bomb! I use mil ammo cans and leave the lids popped. If the house catches fire i won't blow up the Fire Dept this way. Brass cases will zip around after the ammo cooks off, but brass isn't all that bad to get hit by, not that anyone would like it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies