Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Define proponents. And answer my questions you left out in your response. Thank you.
Clearly its a typo and I meant opponents, well to anyone with common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How could anyone possibly educate the one who knows all?
Ahh, more attacking other posters personally, rather than disputing facts. i'm waiting for you ANYTHING of substance.. ANYTHING, which says I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
He could have allowed more drilling and it would have had the same effect on oil prices. The SPR is there to keep our country running during a SHTF scenario, and should completely off limits for use as a political tool. I am VERY disappointed in this move.
That would anger the left wing base. Elections are coming soon, time for Obama to firm up his support with the left wing kooks who clearly cant comprehened basic economics. Just look at their responses to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Oil prices were going down.

Obama shot at a blank piece of paper and then drew a circle around it and proclaimed himself an expert marksman.

Precedent shows when the reserve is tapped oil prices go down and then go back up a few weeks later.

Stunning move to tap the reserve now instead of earlier. Makes no sense except for political fodder.

As you can see it worked! His minions now, in the best tradition of the Nobel Peace Prize, have declared Obama a savior and problem solver.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
He could have allowed more drilling and it would have had the same effect on oil prices. The SPR is there to keep our country running during a SHTF scenario, and should completely off limits for use as a political tool. I am VERY disappointed in this move.
How long do you think it takes from drilling permit to producing well of the type of oil used to produce gasoline? This assertion is a GOP talking point intended to confuse people who are unaware of the process, that is all.

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
WTH! Why are we releasing oil from the SPR when there are no supply disruptions??
Politics.

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
It is funny that Obama does things that the American people like, like pulling troops out of wars, cutting gas prices a little, getting people access to HC, ... and on and on. That is hilarious stuff!
The Republicans complained that he was anti-American for planning on pulling troops out of the wars before his election.

Then the Republicans complained that he was surging troops into Afghanistan.

Then the Republicans complained that he wasn't removing troops from the wars.

Then the Republicans complained that he got Osama bin Laden.

Then the Republicans complained that he wasn't doing anything to stop Gaddhafi in Libya.

Then the Republicans complained that he should stop messing around in Libya.

Then the Republicans complained that he isn't doing anything in Syria.

Then the Republicans complained that he got us into more wars.

Then the Republicans complained when he announced a plan to pull troops out of the wars.

Complain, Complain, Complain. The Republicans know of nothing else to do.

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
It is funny that Obama does things that the American people like, like pulling troops out of wars, cutting gas prices a little, getting people access to HC, ... and on and on. That is hilarious stuff!
More "bread and circuses". Rome still fell.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 132,587 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm beyond excited that my gas will be .20/gal cheaper. It almost offsets the $1.50/gal it's gone up in 2 years.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Worst. Logic. Ever.

Have you not been paying attention to the stock market and oil prices together over the past several years?

When oil was sky-high in 2008, and the stock market crashed, where did oil go? Guess what: not up.

Over the course of the recovery when the stock market went up, guess where oil went? Not down.

It is a sad fact that oil prices are being so heavily linked to the stock market. It just shows how much influence the speculators have on a commodity that needs to be nationalized.
You just validated my point..

When oil was sky high, the stock market went down..

And yes, oil indeed went down, or are you unaware of that?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
How long do you think it takes from drilling permit to producing well of the type of oil used to produce gasoline? This assertion is a GOP talking point intended to confuse people who are unaware of the process, that is all.
Isnt Obama the President? You telling me that he cant fast track drilling permits? The excuses from you is utterly amazing..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ooh brother, I dont know why I spend so much time educating people who clearly havent spent any time in economics classes..

1) The fact that its a 1.5 day supply, and the oil is dropping so fast, would equate to a temporary drop that will simply go back up as people who have margined accounts stopp getting margined out of their positions.
2) The oil needs to be REPURCHASED, which will increase the demand on future production, which will then increases prices AGAIN..
3) With lower oil prices, the stock market should be HIGHER. I'm simply stating FACTS.. Lower oil prices equal higher profits for companies that rely heavily upon oil, like UPS, airlines, etc, and they are DOWN.. THATS NOT NORMAL.

You can sit here and come to the conclusion that Im posting FACTS, simply because I dont like Obama, but that would mean you dont like the FACTS, and can only attack me, rather then the facts posted.
Since it is all about putting everything on Obama's ledger, I'm not surprised you don't care about any drop in prices. You only "care" about increasing prices. This is not a secret. So, stop worrying about being an educator, just be open to debate and respond with directness. That is why we all come to a discussion forums, right?

So, I must ask (again), do you think it is the President's responsibility to reign in on oil prices and to ensure welfare of the stock market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Isnt Obama the President? You telling me that he cant fast track drilling permits? The excuses from you is utterly amazing..
Drilling permits to drill where? And how long do you think it takes from permits to actual production/supply? And of course, if Bush had fast tracked drilling permits, we would not have had 2008 oil price debacle, no? Things are as simple as how quickly drilling permits are issued, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies