Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,812 times

Advertisements

Gas prices were dropping anyway. This is his attempt at getting in on it to take credit for the complete drop in prices.

Don't worry though; he will replenish reserves when the price of oil increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wonder what one of Obamas buddies shorted oil and is making a killing today..
Ohhh my gosh.....you don't think...? nahh couldn't be. Have to get those poll numbers up for 2012. However lets not produce any more let's just drain the strategic reserves. Hey that sounds like a splendid idea.

Last edited by Pretzelogik; 06-23-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
Election year 2012 the only reason he released the barrels.
Uh, it's June 2011, do you really believe most Americans have an attention not measured in minutes?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times
Quote:
Um.. we're discussing TODAYS reaction, why would I not look at todays results
You are insistent that you are only talking about today, when you've cherry picked articles from March to support your claim?

Today's reaction is easy: oil went down, and so did stocks. That was already established. What we were in discussion about is how this is not exactly the first time this has happened, and that it has happened multiple times in the past. You are the one claiming a ridiculously simple oil down=stocks up mechanism that IS NOT TRUE, and then blaming today's difference on Obama.

Quote:
Again, why would we look at 3 months of data to analize an event that happened today? Posting DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P results is not cherry picking results, they happen to be industry standard.
Because you are trying to change the subject... and I've been the one posting DJIA over a period of time, not you. You are trying to direct evidence via individual stocks such as UPS and AA, or cherry picking individual days where your point stands when in fact it is in the minority in recent times.

Quote:
FAIL again. You cant chart out 3 months of activity for an event that happened today
Once again, you are trying to change the subject.

Quote:
babble babble babble, nothing of substance.. I love these conversations..
...talking into a mirror?

Quote:
Again, DJIA, NASDAQ, and S&P isnt cherry picking data. Did I pull out two random companies that have a high fuel expense on their balance sheets, yes, but thats to dumb the thread down for those of you that seem to have difficulty understanding the full picture.
Cherry picking individual days in the past where lower oil prices=higher stocks IS, though, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of a trend.

Who is the one posting the full picture in graphs? Not you.

Quote:
There isnt a dam economist in the world that will tell you that higher oil prices = higher stock prices.. NONE.. and we have a very long drawn out history of oil dropping, with stocks going up as a result
U.S. stocks rise as oil falls, yields stabilize Market Snapshot - MarketWatch
Google
Google
Stocks fall as oil prices rise | GazetteNET
Go back and read the article from the Cleveland Federal Reserve I posted. The point is that there is NO RELATIONSHIP between stock prices and oil prices, and there have been plenty of times where they have been in sync with each other AS I SHOWED IN THE GRAPH I POSTED. Really, you need to pay attention.

Quote:
AGAIN I ask you, why would oil prices falling, equate to lower stock prices for UPS, or American Airlines, since they have a very high fuel cost on their balance sheet? You havent even begun to try to answer this question.. I know why, BECAUSE IT CANT.. It makes absolutely positively no economic sense that lower fuel costs = higher profits, yields a lower stock price.. NONE!!
BECAUSE WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES! Individual companies do not make an entire stock market! If you do not understand this, you really need to stop discussing it.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Oil down over 5% to $90/bbl. Obama pulling out all the stops...releasing 30 Million barrels and pulling 30k troops.

Speculators crushed.

Effectively a major tax cut.
Stocks tumbles on concerns about economic slowdown - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wall-Street-drops-at-open-on-rb-3592006168.html;_ylt=Aml0t2ny9ebrzj4GTefXpKa7YWsA; _ylu=X3oDMTE1amdvZ2FuBHBvcwMzBHNlYwN0b3BTdG9yaWVzB HNsawNkb3dmYWxsczIwMG8-?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode= - broken link)

you do realize that the united states of america burns like 20 million barrels a day.. so 30 thousand barrels amouts to 1.5 days of consumption.. it's like giving a heroin addict a quick shot in the arm..

Last edited by cruxan; 06-23-2011 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: add shot in the head, opps arm..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, it's June 2011, do you really believe most Americans have an attention not measured in minutes?
This. We aren't even remotely close to the election. If this were the case, he would have released the reserves in late summer/early fall of 2012.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You are insistent that you are only talking about today, when you've cherry picked articles from March to support your claim?
I posted other periods of times to show how oil prices have dropped, and the stock market has gone up.. I did that because ITS NORMAL for one to go up while others go down.
Quote:
Today's reaction is easy: oil went down, and so did stocks. That was already established. What we were in discussion about is how this is not exactly the first time this has happened, and that it has happened multiple times in the past.
Its happened over a period of time but rarely on the days that its happened. AGAIN STAY FOCUSED..
Quote:
You are the one claiming a ridiculously simple oil down=stocks up mechanism that IS NOT TRUE, and then blaming today's difference on Obama.
Oooh I got the reason for the non stop bs from you.. You think I blamed Obama.. I DID NOT.. for gods sakes stop the non stop bull crap...
Quote:
Because you are trying to change the subject... and I've been the one posting DJIA over a period of time, not you. You are trying to direct evidence via individual stocks such as UPS and AA, or cherry picking individual days where your point stands when in fact it is in the minority in recent times.

No, you are the one that changed the discussion from what happens normally on days oil drops to over a period of time.. AGAIN did I use UPS and AA as examples, YES.. trying to dumb down the conversation for you, but it seems even that is to difficult..
Quote:
Once again, you are trying to change the subject.
What the hell are you talking about? I STARTED the subject
Quote:
Cherry picking individual days in the past where lower oil prices=higher stocks IS, though, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of a trend.
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? NO ONE IS DISCUSSING A TREND. We are talking about historically, when days oil drops, stocks go up.
Quote:
Who is the one posting the full picture in graphs? Not you.
So we need to dumb down the conversation to pictures for you to comprehend?
Quote:
Go back and read the article from the Cleveland Federal Reserve I posted. The point is that there is NO RELATIONSHIP between stock prices and oil prices, and there have been plenty of times where they have been in sync with each other AS I SHOWED IN THE GRAPH I POSTED. Really, you need to pay attention
Actually it seems YOU need to pay attention because again, we're discussing DAYS when oil drops, stocks normally go up.. No one is discussing over a period of time.
Quote:
BECAUSE WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES! Individual companies do not make an entire stock market! If you do not understand this, you really need to stop discussing it.
HELLO? THE DJIA, NASDAQ, AND THE S&P ARE ALL DOWN But lets ask again..

AGAIN I ask you, why would oil prices falling, equate to lower stock prices for UPS, or American Airlines, since they have a very high fuel cost on their balance sheet? You havent even begun to try to answer this question.. I know why, BECAUSE IT CANT.. It makes absolutely positively no economic sense that lower fuel costs = higher profits, yields a lower stock price.. NONE!!

YOU CANT ANSWER, CAN YOU? Dont tell me that we arent discussing individual stocks because I AM.. If you dont want to enter into the discussion DONT.. YOU choose not to talk about individual stocks, but yet when I discuss DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P you dont want to discuss them either. You dont get to tell me what to discuss, you arent my boss, I havent had one of those in 10+ years..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
Quote:
This. We aren't even remotely close to the election. If this were the case, he would have released the reserves in late summer/early fall of 2012.

you wouldn't know that by watching lame stream media.. election campaigning usually starts the day they get into office now

let some oil out, pull a few troops, looks good on the resume

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I posted other periods of times to show how oil prices have dropped, and the stock market has gone up.. I did that because ITS NORMAL for one to go up while others go down.
You posted a few. I posted a graph where the majority of times the opposite was true.

Quote:
Its happened over a period of time but rarely on the days that its happened. AGAIN STAY FOCUSED..
What the hell? As the graph showed, it's happened a majority of times recently.

Quote:
Oooh I got the reason for the non stop bs from you.. You think I blamed Obama.. I DID NOT.. for gods sakes stop the non stop bull crap...

No, you are the one that changed the discussion from what happens normally on days oil drops to over a period of time.. AGAIN did I use UPS and AA as examples, YES.. trying to dumb down the conversation for you, but it seems even that is to difficult..
You did blame Obama through your multiple postings. My point is to prove that what you are claiming, that it is normal, is patently false. It has been proven that THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP between stock prices and oil prices. Ugh.... and yet you still can't understand that UPS and AA are cherry picked data that happens to fit your ideas while ignoring the larger market. Hey, I can cherry pick data too! Why don't I bring in Shell Oil or Exxon to show how when oil prices go up, so do their stocks!! Hmm, I wonder why that is!?

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? I STARTED the subject
Dived into the deep end without learning how to swim is more like it.

Quote:
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? NO ONE IS DISCUSSING A TREND. We are talking about historically, when days oil drops, stocks go up.
Which is not true at all, there is no such relationship.

Quote:
So we need to dumb down the conversation to pictures for you to comprehend?
I'm sure you'd just cherry pick some data into graphs that happily fit your ideas.

Quote:
Actually it seems YOU need to pay attention because again, we're discussing DAYS when oil drops, stocks normally go up.. No one is discussing over a period of time.
Days are periods of time, in case you didn't know that.... and guess what? There have been plenty of instances where the opposite was the case. Oops.

Quote:
HELLO? THE DJIA, NASDAQ, AND THE S&P ARE ALL DOWN But lets ask again..
That has already been established.

Quote:

YOU CANT ANSWER, CAN YOU? Dont tell me that we arent discussing individual stocks because I AM.. If you dont want to enter into the discussion DONT.. YOU choose not to talk about individual stocks, but yet when I discuss DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P you dont want to discuss them either. You dont get to tell me what to discuss, you arent my boss, I havent had one of those in 10+ years..

You can't discuss individual stocks when looking at an entire stock market. You are taking what the DJIA is doing, looking at two stocks that are highly affected by oil prices, and then applying it to the market as a whole over time. That is illogical and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the markets work. As I said, I could take oil companies with your same logic to "show" that the opposite is true. You need to stop throwing a temper tantrum when you are on the losing side of an argument (one you have already lost multiple times). I've discusses the DJIA plenty. I posted a graph of it, for God's sake. I posted an article from the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank that discusses that there is no trend between the S&P and oil prices. You need to quit lying about what I am saying, pay attention, and admit you are wrong instead of acting like a three-year old.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
You posted a few. I posted a graph where the majority of times the opposite was true.
No you didnt. You posted a graph showing over a period of months, they even out, but thats not the discussion.. You are having a lot of difficulty following along. AGAIN, Days that oil prices drop, NORMALLY, the stock market rallies.. Showing me MONTHS doesnt do anything in regards to the discussion about DAYS..
Quote:
What the hell? As the graph showed, it's happened a majority of times recently.
See above, try to stay focused.. I know you are so busy with your "defending Obama" that you cant even enter into the discussion..
Quote:
You did blame Obama through your multiple postings.
I did not. There is a difference between stating how he will benefit, or reasons for the action vs sighting blame..
Quote:
My point is to prove that what you are claiming, that it is normal, is patently false.
Your point is that you dont even understand the point.
Quote:
It has been proven that THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP between stock prices and oil prices.
There is a psychological aspect with lower oil prices and history has shown this to equate to people buying stocks that profit from low oil prices.. But you cant comprehend this I guess because you're still too busy trying to argue with me because you love Obama
Quote:
Ugh.... and yet you still can't understand that UPS and AA are cherry picked data that happens to fit your ideas while ignoring the larger market.
HELLO? I KEEP POSTING THE RESULTS OF THE LARGER MARKET, YOU'RE IGNORING THEM..
DJIA DOWN
NASDAQ DOWN
S&P 500 DOWN

AGAIN, when oil prices drop, companies that have high oil costs, usually go UP because it means MORE PROFIT.. That is what the stock market is about after all.

Oooh why dont we read others talking about the same concern I posted here
Oil dives to 4-month low as emergency stocks unleashed - Business - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38978538 - broken link)
Markets dive on growth fears, shock drop in oil prices - Telegraph
TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper

Had you listed to me this morning when I started discussing the thread, you would have saved yourself the embarassment of being wrong.
Quote:
Hey, I can cherry pick data too! Why don't I bring in Shell Oil or Exxon to show how when oil prices go up, so do their stocks!! Hmm, I wonder why that is!?
Yeah, lets pick stocks that will profit when the government has to repurchase their supplies, yeah, that'll show me how right I was when I made that statement.. ooh the humor
Quote:
Dived into the deep end without learning how to swim is more like it.
Except for the fact that I now have reporters writing story about the exact same thing I noted a very long time ago.. Maybe you should have stayed in the kiddy pool..
Quote:
Which is not true at all, there is no such relationship.
Your chart doesnt even show that.. AGAIN, we're discussing DAYS where oil DROPS, especially substantially.. if you cant follow along with the topic, then dont respond
Quote:
I'm sure you'd just cherry pick some data into graphs that happily fit your ideas.
Yeah, DJIA, NASDAQ, S&P 500 quotes, to you = cherry picking data.. Ironically, didnt you use one of these for your chart as well?
Quote:
Days are periods of time, in case you didn't know that.... and guess what? There have been plenty of instances where the opposite was the case. Oops.
So you think everyday is similar to todays price change in oil? No wonder why you are having such difficulty with the thread
Quote:
That has already been established
I guess they have been cherry picked by the rest of the world, just to prove you wrong.. its a big wide vast conspircy of the investment community, to embarass an anonymous internet poster named psulions2007.. I get it.. You are too much
Quote:
You can't discuss individual stocks when looking at an entire stock market. You are taking what the DJIA is doing, looking at two stocks that are highly affected by oil prices, and then applying it to the market as a whole over time. That is illogical and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the markets work. As I said, I could take oil companies with your same logic to "show" that the opposite is true. You need to stop throwing a temper tantrum when you are on the losing side of an argument (one you have already lost multiple times). I've discusses the DJIA plenty. I posted a graph of it, for God's sake. I posted an article from the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank that discusses that there is no trend between the S&P and oil prices. You need to quit lying about what I am saying, pay attention, and admit you are wrong instead of acting like a three-year old.
So again you have no answer why stocks that rely heavily upon oil, would drop, even though this would equate to higher profits? Spare me the 5 year old, attacks and discuss the question, because history has shown me that when you start to babble on and on about things like temper tantrums, against others for simply posting FACTS, that others are now questioning in the financial community, you have no answers.

Why dont you contact every single newspaper questioning the same thing I said this morning, and tell them you are smarter then the rest of the world, and ask them to not cherry pick data to show Obama in a bad light.

Last edited by pghquest; 06-23-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies