Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times

Advertisements

Libertarian America needs to go away. Nuts on foreign policy, immoral on social issues, and great on economic issues.

1/3.....No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:02 AM

589 posts, read 376,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Libertarian America needs to go away. Nuts on foreign policy, immoral on social issues, and great on economic issues.

1/3.....No thanks.
For me it's 2/3
I don't like their foreign policy views but I'm totally agree about economics and social issues.
I've no doubts America will become more libertarian

Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:

1/3.....No thanks.
Welfare can go on forever, cause sooner or later you run out of our money.

Freedom sucks don't it?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You may be paying very little, but other hard working tax payers are paying the portion of your health care that you are not paying.

Government health care does not reduce costs, it just moves your costs to another tax payer. It actually increases costs.

So, in essence, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:

1/3.....No thanks.
How are Libertarians nuts on foreign policy? So, you're OK with spending trillions of dollars trying to constantly play the world cops! Quite frankly, I'm tired of sending our troops to die for our government's and corporate interests! We're broke! It's time that we start using our military for what it was intended to do, and that is defense of our borders, and maybe Canada and Mexico, AND THAT'S IT! There is ABSOLUTELY no need to have over 100 US military bases worldwide!

How are Libertarians immoral on social issues? What place is it for the government or a corporation to dictate what someone does in the privacy of their own lives when they harm nobody? What place is it for the government to decide on who and who cannot get married? I agree with another poster. Live and let live! What someone else does, is between them and GOD! It is NOT the government's place to legislate morality!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Hence profits over people. Crony corporatism, as you put it, would rise under a libertarian regime since the whole (simplified) idea is that corporations are more effective than government.

As you pointed out, and as the entire nation of New Zealand saw in the 1980s, pure profit motives will result in rising costs and bigger disparities.
The crony elite has done a great job on you! What you describe is the opposite of what libertarians want. We want to limit corporate control as much as government control. A corporation is a government created and protected entity, it cannot exist without government.

They receive privileged benefits and limited liability (by the government) something we are against. Libertarians believe in individualism, not groups (corporations). It is the elite who use similar language as libertarians to make it sound as if we support their crony systems even more. Obviously they duped you very well.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The crony elite has done a great job on you! What you describe is the opposite of what libertarians want. We want to limit corporate control as much as government control. A corporation is a government created and protected entity, it cannot exist without government.

They receive privileged benefits and limited liability (by the government) something we are against. Libertarians believe in individualism, not groups (corporations). It is the elite who use similar language as libertarians to make it sound as if we support their crony systems even more. Obviously they duped you very well.

Can't rep ya, but good post!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

Well, psychology and evolution would go against you. See, people don't live in vacuums, they also search for human contact. Thus, if I see you have a good idea and I want to spend money in your idea...I will. Others follow along and help in the business you created (look at tech company out there). It grows. Well, then it becomes more powerful. You can't stop people from forming groups. That is innate in our DNA. We band together. We pool resources.

Libertarians don't mind corporations. If anything, on the whole Libertarians are more pro-corporation. There are anti-corporate libertarians...but generally are not the mainstream if you will (I suspect you are that type of libertarian). Some libertarians argue that corporations should be treated as individual entities (we've seen this during debates regarding political contributions).

I was not "duped". I apparently understand a little better about libertarian beliefs apparently than you.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Libertarian ideals really span a spectrum, higli. The largest faction, if you will, do believe in privatizing government services since they believe it "expands" personal freedoms.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Waste does exist, but on the whole paying taxes generally has made our nation better than the alternative.
After many years working for both local government and the federal Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, I can tell you that about 50% of our taxes is spent on graft, corruption and waste on the local level; about 65% on the State level; and about 95% on the federal level.

I won't even talk about the ridiculous cost of waging endless foreign wars, which is 100% to feed a sick and voracious Military-Industrial Complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies