Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My son was watching cartoons this afternoon on one of the 250 cartoon channels and I noticed an ad for Pop Tarts and one with Sonny the Cuckoo Bird pushing Cocoa Puffs and it made me think of the a-holes who are targeting McDonald's, trying to get rid of Happy Meals and Ronald himself. My question is, why is there not an outrage for the other junk being advertised on cartoon channels? No one is picketing and calling for the death of the Lucky Charms dude. I guess it's because McDonald's is so large, therefore they are an easy target? I find it sad that is all some people have to do with their time.

BTW, our son has one Happy Meal per week and it's the same meal every single time. Chicken Nuggets, apples and a white milk. IMO, that meal is healthier than a couple of Pop Tarts. Anyway, we all have to make choices in this world. Some people know how to make smart choices. Some make bad choices. And some people think they have to be the world police and make choices for others against their will. Oh and also, there are some who bash the calorie count of a Big Mac, but the 2,500 calorie Chocolate Thunder from Outback is okay to eat. In fact, I would bet that the calorie and fat count in those "sit-down" type restaurants make fast-food look like a health spa! Why is there no bashing of Applebee's?
Actually Michelle Obama help send Capt Crunch to a watery grave. (Maybe he's with Bin Laden) The high sugar content was publicized.

As long as the product has truthful info on the box I'm okay with it. It's always good to have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
http://www.franchisehelp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fatkidsmcdonalds.jpg (broken link)

You dont see many kids like this at Whole Foods or Earthfare. If you want your kids to die of atherosclerosis at 40, fine. Just dont make my taxes pay for their disability and diabetes.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
My son was watching cartoons this afternoon on one of the 250 cartoon channels and I noticed an ad for Pop Tarts and one with Sonny the Cuckoo Bird pushing Cocoa Puffs and it made me think of the a-holes who are targeting McDonald's, trying to get rid of Happy Meals and Ronald himself. My question is, why is there not an outrage for the other junk being advertised on cartoon channels? No one is picketing and calling for the death of the Lucky Charms dude. I guess it's because McDonald's is so large, therefore they are an easy target? I find it sad that is all some people have to do with their time.

BTW, our son has one Happy Meal per week and it's the same meal every single time. Chicken Nuggets, apples and a white milk. IMO, that meal is healthier than a couple of Pop Tarts. Anyway, we all have to make choices in this world. Some people know how to make smart choices. Some make bad choices. And some people think they have to be the world police and make choices for others against their will. Oh and also, there are some who bash the calorie count of a Big Mac, but the 2,500 calorie Chocolate Thunder from Outback is okay to eat. In fact, I would bet that the calorie and fat count in those "sit-down" type restaurants make fast-food look like a health spa! Why is there no bashing of Applebee's?
People are raising he!! about all of the chit that is being targeted at kids on TV......You just haven't been paying attention...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

You dont see many kids like this at Whole Foods or Earthfare. If you want your kids to die of atherosclerosis at 40, fine. Just dont make my taxes pay for their disability and diabetes.
Those kids eat badly no matter where they are - home, restaurants, gramma's house...those parents should be hung from their toes.

I agree with the op. It's the parents' job to control their kids' food environment, not the government. We almost NEVER got to have fast food when I was growing up. Or eat out, for that matter. It was hot, fresh, balanced meals made at home breakfast, lunch, and dinner. School lunches brown-bagged.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So in other words... because people don't want to take responsibility for what they feed their children.
It's to bad that most parents are to stupid to know how to tell their kids no but most are that stupid....

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Yale health researchers just released their report on fast food nutrition and advertising with some interesting findings. We have highlighted some of the stand-out results.
$4.2 Billion dollars – the amount the fast food industry spent on advertising for 2009 alone.
84% – Percentage of parents who take their kids to eat fast food at least once a week.
12 – The number of meals out of 3,039 assessed that are considered “nutritional” for preschoolers. This amounts to 0.3% of meals being somewhat “healthy”.
15% – Percentage of preschoolers who ask to go to McDonald’s every single day!
17% – Percentage of items on fast food menus that qualify as “healthy choices

Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I remember when I was a kid...I asked to go to McDonald's NOT because they advertised (we didn't even have tv)...but because we thought it tasted good.

So now someone better nail McDonald's for putting whatever they do in their food that makes it taste good to immature taste buds.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

When I was young and school let out you go out on the bike, played baseball/basketball/football in neighborhood field or many other things that required physical excursion. I don't see kids doing that today. We had maybe 3 kids in class of 30 that might be considered overweight and only one was really obese because it was a medical problem.
Right on Coalman. It was like that for my generation too. We left the house as soon as we could and played all day outside until dinner time. Like you said, there were only a FEW obese people in my classes all through school and most, if not all, had medical issues. Exercise is the main problem here. Kids NEED a ton of calories, but they also need a ton of exercise to go with it and balance things out.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Those kids eat badly no matter where they are - home, restaurants, gramma's house...those parents should be hung from their toes.
Exactly, I believe I even saw that particular kid on TV. If it wasn't him it was another like him, the parents were feeding him nothing but junk and letting him eat whatever the hell he wanted whenever he wanted too. They showed him taking a fit when he was denied some type of snack food and the parents caved to his demands.

I think the bottom line is it's not the governments responsibility to step in to "protect us from ourselves".

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

dont worry the food police will get after sit down restaurants after they have destroyed the fast food industry. for them it is one step at a time. mcdonalds is the largest fast food chain in the world right now, which is why they are the obvious target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies