Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM

419 posts, read 365,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I don't listen to rap but for other reasons.

A. it really takes no skill, almost anyone can rap over a beat, no instraments, computer generated music, and rhymes that make no sense.

B. Rap tend to be about how the rapper is rich and anyone who isn't is a loser sucker ***** or something along those lines. The rapper will F#*# your girl in front of you and call you chump b/c you dont have a black amex card. Most likely your not rich so your the "loser" he's talking about. I really wanna buy his music.
NO SKILL?! lmfaooooooooooooo ok. Lets do a experiment. If your are willing and able. I would pick a beat and you make a rap song. Up it on youtube. This is will be awesome.

Last edited by Krazyone57; 06-26-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
We all know that. The objection is not specifically to one song, it's an objection to the constant vulgarity that comes out of music these days. No one single song or artist causes major issues in society, but a large amount of this stuff over a long period of time slowly erodes away any morality within our culture.
Hahahaha I'm sorry I'm the one who has to let you know but there really is no morality within our culture anymore and this wasn't from the music kids listen to...

Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Hahahaha I'm sorry I'm the one who has to let you know but there really is no morality within our culture anymore and this wasn't from the music kids listen to...
Okay. Does the music make it better or worse?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
We all know that. The objection is not specifically to one song, it's an objection to the constant vulgarity that comes out of music these days. No one single song or artist causes major issues in society, but a large amount of this stuff over a long period of time slowly erodes away any morality within our culture.
I'm not into rap but having lived through the moral panics about rock and metal (I can even remember when the Rolling Stones were still considered a dangerous threat to society when I was a young kid, and definitely remember when David Bowie was considered a threat to society) I understand very well that music per se doesn't make people violent by itself, there are other reasons why people commit violent acts besides music. If music made people behave like what was described in the lyrics than late Boomers and early Gen X'ers would all be gay Satanists....

Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
NO SKILL?! lmfaooooooooooooo ok. Lets do a experiment. If your are willing and able. I would pick a beat and you make a rap song. Up it on youtube. This is will be awesome.
Yeah, they're all modern day Mozarts

Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't listen to any of that crap because I'm educated and my clothes fit me.

Rap is pop music that is mostly purchased by suburban Abercrombe and Fitch white kids.

Rap/Hip Hop is very broad. Unfortunately many of you who don't like it, formed your opinion of rap based of of what you see on MTV or hear on the radio. Go listen to some: Common, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Nas, Outkast, Jean Grae, Dead Pres, Mos Def, or the Roots.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm not into rap but having lived through the moral panics about rock and metal (I can even remember when the Rolling Stones were still considered a dangerous threat to society when I was a young kid, and definitely remember when David Bowie was considered a threat to society) I understand very well that music per se doesn't make people violent by itself, there are other reasons why people commit violent acts besides music. If music made people behave like what was described in the lyrics than late Boomers and early Gen X'ers would all be gay Satanists....
I'm not saying that music is even one of the top 10 reasons, but it does play its part.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 PM

419 posts, read 365,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Rap is pop music that is mostly purchased by suburban Abercrombe and Fitch white kids.

Rap/Hip Hop is very broad. Unfortunately many of you who don't like it, formed your opinion of rap based of of what you see on MTV or hear on the radio. Go listen to some: Common, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Nas, Outkast, Jean Grae, Dead Pres, Mos Def, or the Roots.
Dead Prez? lol

I don't know what about that lol

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default The Power Of Life And Death Rests In The Tongue

Correct me if i'm wrong , but doesn't the bible say that " the power of life
and death rest in the tongue " gangster rap is just one of four factors
that has the black community in a death grip 1. the life styles of the folks
in their communities that they look up to and respect #2. The overbear-
ing lust for financial gains #3. The total lack of black love for themselves
and their communities #4. Total lost of hope and an optimistic outlook.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
College educated mom of 4 here (including a 15 & almost 12 y/o daughter). Unless the movie, song, etc is excessively vulgar, violent, etc, I'm okay with the music that they listen to.

I personally like Lil' Wayne....yes, his lyrics can be violent, but for those interested enough to listen to his songs, he really is a great lyricist. Same with Drake. Some of the songs today are really silly (Teach Me How To Dougie), but the beats are catchy and it's "good fun", so I have no objections.

My kids listen to the Lil' Wayne, etc songs, but the radio versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies