Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,789,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Actually many are. Which is why they shoudn't be voting on other people's rights.
Lol, so true. Something like 40-50% of Americans believe the earth is 6000 years old and dinosaurs walked with humans.

A CNN poll was done, showing that 70% of Americans cannot name the 3 branches of government or at least 3 members of the Supreme Court.

This thread is another example of Americans not knowing how our government works.

This is why we don't allow the people to vote for the rights of other citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Gee.........try googling.

I assume the thread is meant to make a sordid point.

Here's another one..... the equal rights of any minority should NEVER be voted upon by a majority......these things are what the judicial and court system are for!

Upset about New York I assume and needing to vent!
..and thinly veiled at that. I suppose NY jumping on the bandwagon is difficult to swallow for the ant-gay marriage group.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,095,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Since when is being gay a "minority?" That's a joke, right? Is being left handed a "minority too?" Rights are for individuals, not groups.
That doesn't even make sense. First, people who are left-handed have never lacked a single right or privilege by law. Second, if rights are "for individuals", the logical conclusion is that individuals make up groups, and therefore, rights are for groups as well. Stop while you are not ahead.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,803 times
What a completely disingenuous OP there. I'm not sure whether it makes my eyes roll more to think that the OP was pretending to be stupid, or whether the OP actually is that stupid. On the other hand, the follow up posts implying that a majority should be able to vote on the equal rights of a minority is also eye rollingly stupid.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,578 times
This thread is such a great example of the anti-equality cintingent's methods. Never be straight forward, spread misinformation, exaggerations, and lies, then play innocent when they are called out.

They are bullies. We are standing up against the bullies and they are doing what bullies do when confronted. As more and more people stand up to them, they get desperate and start playing victim; trying to rally others to their "side". They're self esteem is so wrapped up in feeling superior to the "other" that the panic they feel at losing this position is manifesting.

Sad, really.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,364,362 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know the answer and would be curious to find out. Thanks
None, The same Government the libs always want to get out of their lives force it upon the masses lives LOL Hypocrisy.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,529,542 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know the answer and would be curious to find out. Thanks
I havn't done any research on this but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure every time it has been put to a vote people have voted to defend traditional marraige.

I could be wrong but I believe the states with gay marriage it was put through by judges.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,955,110 times
Just let them get married already. They can be as miserable as the rest of us then.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,325,708 times
None of the states have. The % of people voting for the gay marriage bans has ranged from 52% in California to 86% in Mississippi. It was around the 70-80% in most states in the Southern part of the United States. Even among the younger generation aged 18-29, the majority of them in many states voted in favor of the gay marriage ban, as high as 83% in Mississippi.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Default How many states put anti-miscegenation laws on the ballot?

The answer is the same. That was settled by law and by courts, not by plebiscite. It took the Supreme Court (Loving vs Virginia) to make it clear for those states that never really joined the 20th century that minority rights weren't settled by majority vote.

What's interesting is that the counterarguments were exactly the same - that this would overturn millennia of tradition, cheapen traditional marriages, force churches to perform ceremonies they didn't want to - why, good white citizens might even witness the revolting sight of a black man kissing a white woman. And what would they tell their kids, pray tell?

You're losing this one, too, and you deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies