Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I wouldn't say libertarians are socially liberal and fiscally conservative, libertarians think the government should have no say at the federal level with telling people who they can and can not marry and what a woman can and can't do with her own body, among other social issues. Also fiscally want to defund everything and that the government should give little to no handouts or support to anyone. They are on their own level in both views but if they fit any profile, they side mostly with strong progressive views.
This is a great interview with Paul and Nader showing this point.

YouTube - ‪Ron Paul & Ralph Nader: A Libertarian-Progressive Alliance?‬‏

Also the fiscal liberal, social conservative is a bit of an oddity, though would fit mostly in the independent category.
Interesting...thx for your comments, and for providing the youtube clip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Libertarianism seems to be really popular these days. My understanding was that it's essentially Social Liberalism + Economic Conservatism. (Economic Conservatism = pro-free market economics.)

However, we almost never see the reverse -- Social Conservatism + Economic Liberalism. Essentially, someone who could be described as pro-life and pro-family values, but prefers the school of Keynesian economics over free market economics. A social conservative who basically *supports* Social Security (in its current form) enthusiastically, and is wholeheartedly pro-Medicare (and not the Ryan form of it, either). A social conservative who opposes outsourcing and offshoring of jobs.

Where are all these kinds of ppl? I haven't met anyone like that...and it honestly surprises me. We have Liberals (liberal socially and economically), Conservatives (socially and fiscally conservative), and Libertarians (fiscally conversative, socially liberal). So why not socially conversative + economically liberal?

Why not think "outside the box"?
Let us do that... think outside the box.

Social conservatives demand that the government regulate the society.
Fiscal conservatives demand that the government does not regulate the economy.

On one side, conservatism is about regulation. On the other, it is about complete deregulation. Interesting. No?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Let us do that... think outside the box.

Social conservatives demand that the government regulate the society.
Fiscal conservatives demand that the government does not regulate the economy.

On one side, conservatism is about regulation. On the other, it is about complete deregulation. Interesting. No?
Intriguing...thx for your thoughts...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Libertarianism seems to be really popular these days. My understanding was that it's essentially Social Liberalism + Economic Conservatism. (Economic Conservatism = pro-free market economics.)

However, we almost never see the reverse -- Social Conservatism + Economic Liberalism. Essentially, someone who could be described as pro-life and pro-family values, but prefers the school of Keynesian economics over free market economics. A social conservative who basically *supports* Social Security (in its current form) enthusiastically, and is wholeheartedly pro-Medicare (and not the Ryan form of it, either). A social conservative who opposes outsourcing and offshoring of jobs.

Where are all these kinds of ppl? I haven't met anyone like that...and it honestly surprises me. We have Liberals (liberal socially and economically), Conservatives (socially and fiscally conservative), and Libertarians (fiscally conversative, socially liberal). So why not socially conversative + economically liberal?

Why not think "outside the box"?
So the matrix seems to be (in your eyes):

Social Liberal + Fiscal Conservative = Libertarians
Social Liberal + Fiscal Liberal = Liberals
Social Conservative + Fiscal Conservative = Conservatives
Social Conservative + Fiscal Liberal = ?????

My short answer to your missing fourth political ideology is Christian democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While Christian Democracy developed in Europe in the mid 1900's and is most prevalent ouside of the United States, an American example of a Christian Democrat might be Jimmy Carter. Other examples might be black Democrats who hold fiscally liberal views and socially conservative views, e.g. Pro-Life and Pro-Family (anti-abortion and anti-gay/lesbian rights).

Now mind you, it doesn't necessarily have to be Christian values for social values, but this is the most developed example that I know.

Another consideration is that the question of Liberal versus Conservative is not an either/or situation - there can be varying degrees along the Social and Fiscal axes that help define a political ideology. I would also submit that there may be more than just the Social and Fiscal axes.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So the matrix seems to be (in your eyes):

Social Liberal + Fiscal Conservative = Libertarians
Social Liberal + Fiscal Liberal = Liberals
Social Conservative + Fiscal Conservative = Conservatives
Social Conservative + Fiscal Liberal = ?????

My short answer to your missing fourth political ideology is Christian democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While Christian Democracy developed in Europe in the mid 1900's and is most prevalent ouside of the United States, an American example of a Christian Democrat might be Jimmy Carter. Other examples might be black Democrats who hold fiscally liberal views and socially conservative views, e.g. Pro-Life and Pro-Family (anti-abortion and anti-gay/lesbian rights).

Now mind you, it doesn't necessarily have to be Christian values for social values, but this is the most developed example that I know.

Another consideration is that the question of Liberal versus Conservative is not an either/or situation - there can be varying degrees along the Social and Fiscal axes that help define a political ideology. I would also submit that there may be more than just the Social and Fiscal axes.
Thanks for the interesting perspective there djmilf -- I will definitely have to take a closer look at the link you provided...

Thx again!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I am sure it is pretty prevalent because what you are describing is religious people on welfare. They just tend to hold God over government so they usually vote conservative.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

255 posts, read 535,828 times
GK Chesterton and his disciples seem to be that mix of Social Conservatism and Economic Liberalism. Not that a thinker as complex as GKC can be easily pigeonholed.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
You'll find it in may black churches.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,592 times
From what I've seen, a lot of minorities are like this, especially if they are church-going types.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM

46 posts, read 76,819 times
I agree with a lot of the previous posts. As far as where it's most popular, I'd say West Virginia and areas with large religious black populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies