Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

Converts funding to block grant with anti-abortion language. I imagine they'll have $$$ to do pap tests and such, just not abortions.

Makes sense to me.

Texas to defund Planned Parenthood - Sarah Kliff - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM

27 posts, read 13,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Converts funding to block grant with anti-abortion language. I imagine they'll have $$$ to do pap tests and such, just not abortions.

Makes sense to me.

Texas to defund Planned Parenthood - Sarah Kliff - POLITICO.com

Imagine all you want. When low-income patients seeking birth-control, paps and cancer screening are turned away, then I guess we'll understand how much Texas honors "life".

Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGarrison View Post
Imagine all you want. When low-income patients seeking birth-control, paps and cancer screening are turned away, then I guess we'll understand how much Texas honors "life".
Like I said, the block grant may still provide those services, just no state funded abortion. They can still get them for a price, but not on the taxpayers' dime.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Like I said, the block grant may still provide those services, just no state funded abortion. They can still get them for a price, but not on the taxpayers' dime.
The story says they voted to defund PP, period. There is no reference to funding PP's other services. Texas doesn't trust PP to use the funds for non-abortion services. Regardless of the evidence of the overwhelmingly non-abortion related services that PP provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
The Texas Legislature approved a bill Monday that would both compel the state to push the Obama administration to convert Texas’s Medicaid program into a block grant and defund abortion providers like Planned Parenthood.
The bolded portion is not a dependant clause.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Regardless, if you vote to take away abortions for the poor, all you're doing is saying, as a society, we only sanction this reproductive choice for rich women, not poor women.

How very "Christian" of the great USA.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Good for Texas! Get the government out of women's wombs!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGarrison View Post
The story says they voted to defund PP, period. There is no reference to funding PP's other services. Texas doesn't trust PP to use the funds for non-abortion services. Regardless of the evidence of the overwhelmingly non-abortion related services that PP provides.

The bolded portion is not a dependant clause.
I'm sure Texas will provide those non-abortion related services from the block grant, probably in a much more efficient manner than a faceless federal bureaucracy like PP.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Good for Texas! Get the government out of women's wombs!
^ this

Looks like Texas is exercising it's pro-choice option.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Texas will provide those services from the block grant, probably in a much more efficient manner than a faceless federal bureaucracy like PP.
I very much doubt it.

Regardless, we now agree that the article in no way equivocates on the absolute defunding of PP through medicaid. A deplorable decision that makes zero "sense" from any policy perspective.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
^ this

Looks like Texas is exercising it's pro-choice option.
Indeed, the choice to spend 100x as much placing these unwanted children in foster homes, or funding their mother's welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies