Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If we don't know what happened, how can we say that whatever was done was wrong. I don't jump to conclusions based on a story told by a known liar and fool. If people want to boo the man, that's fine with me. A little heckling, great. Of course, I don't condone any physical contact or verbal assaults/threats none of which have been proven to have occured. Beck seems to be crying out for attention.
The wrong is that so many think that harassment and intimidation is a good thing, no matter what the situation. And no, booing and heckling someone who's taking their family for a picnic and movie in the park is not "great". Beck is a political commentator. No matter how vehemently you and I may disagree with him, and I vehemently do disagree with him, I think that it is better and more effective to disagree with people in a civil manner. Abandoning civility is part of the problem. We abandon civility and we ratchet up the hostility between differing political perspectives, so that people become more entrenched in their positions. It is paralyzing to the discourse. And in order for our country to work, we have to have a working discourse, not people sniping at one another from the trenches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight..It's a major news story when a radio jockey's wife accidently has a glass of wine spilled on her by some random chick in a park? But, conservatives at volitile campaign rallies with assault rifles is just fine..What a world we live in today.
It's pretty clear that it was more than just an accident and obviously more than just one "chick in a park".

If it comes down to it, I guarantee you'll be hiding behind those conservative guys with guns. You know the ones that haven't gotten violent and probably haven't spilled any wine on liberals for a laugh. We all know who bears the hate in the left right relationship. It's a good thing they aren't the ones with the guns.

Quote:
Why bring race into this? And what did the so called liberal do, boo Glen Beck? So. Who the hell is Glen Beck. He's not above booing.
Look at the liberal asking "why bring race into it?" That's hysterical!! Absolutely priceless...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's clearly a false equivalancy. You can't compare spitting on a congressman with booing a radio jockey which is all that has been corroborated to have happened. When did it become unacceptable to boo a guy in a park. People boo athletes from rival sports teams every day. Why is Beck exempt?
Beck is not exempt. If he jumps on a stage and starts speaking, boo him to your heart's content. If he is exiting a cab and heading into a radio station, heckle him all you want. If he is having a picnic in the park, and his wife and children are present, back off, because that's neither the time or place to confront someone.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The wrong is that so many think that harassment and intimidation is a good thing, no matter what the situation. And no, booing and heckling someone who's taking their family for a picnic and movie in the park is not "great". Beck is a political commentator. No matter how vehemently you and I may disagree with him, and I vehemently do disagree with him, I think that it is better and more effective to disagree with people in a civil manner. Abandoning civility is part of the problem. We abandon civility and we ratchet up the hostility between differing political perspectives, so that people become more entrenched in their positions. It is paralyzing to the discourse. And in order for our country to work, we have to have a working discourse, not people sniping at one another from the trenches.
We simply disagree. I don't view booing as harrassment or uncivil. Every celebrity faces the possiblity of this occuring and Beck, who spent years spewing inflammatory rhetoric should be happy that all he got was some boos. This story is getting more play than actual presidential candidates getting doused with glitter which I personally find much worse. You can say whatever you want about me, just do touch me of throw anything on me.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
That's clearly a false equivalancy. You can't compare spitting on a congressman with booing a radio jockey which is all that has been corroborated to have happened. When did it become unacceptable to boo a guy in a park. People boo athletes from rival sports teams every day. Why is Beck exempt?
Because he's with his family and he's "off the job." Although he's turned his appearance there into a circus, I doubt that was his intent when he went there. Bryant Park is about a 20 minute walk away from the Fox News HQ in NY, and going there could have easily been some last minute thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight..It's a major news story when a radio jockey's wife accidently has a glass of wine spilled on her by some random chick in a park? But, conservatives at volitile campaign rallies with assault rifles is just fine..What a world we live in today.

Indeed. Reading the article (and some comments) make it fairly clear that these two young women were making a parody of Beck's wine-whining. It goes on to discuss a sign that allegedly irritated Beck's security peeps. To believe it was intentional, you'd have to believe that someone knew that Beck's family would be at the park, that they were stalked assiduously so that the "attackers" would be right behind Beck in order to spill the wine, hold up the sign and take pictures. That would have truly caused a scene. These women are pranking Beck for trying to make an accident into a politically-motivated assault.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Beck is not exempt. If he jumps on a stage and starts speaking, boo him to your heart's content. If he is exiting a cab and heading into a radio station, heckle him all you want. If he is having a picnic in the park, and his wife and children are present, back off, because that's neither the time or place to confront someone.
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. If Beck wanted to avoid this, don't spend his days spouting completely inflammatory rhetoric. There are consequences to ones actions and he faced them in the form of boos. If a man can't take boos, get the hell of the radio.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
We simply disagree. I don't view booing as harrassment or uncivil. Every celebrity faces the possiblity of this occuring and Beck, who spent years spewing inflammatory rhetoric should be happy that all he got was some boos. This story is getting more play than actual presidential candidates getting doused with glitter which I personally find much worse. You can say whatever you want about me, just do touch me of throw anything on me.
Just do touch me? Freudian slip, hmmm?

(I'm not making fun of you, just a little humor at this point is sorely needed, I think.)

Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Indeed. Reading the article (and some comments) make it fairly clear that these two young women were making a parody of Beck's wine-whining. It goes on to discuss a sign that allegedly irritated Beck's security peeps. To believe it was intentional, you'd have to believe that someone knew that Beck's family would be at the park, that they were stalked assiduously so that the "attackers" would be right behind Beck in order to spill the wine, hold up the sign and take pictures. That would have truly caused a scene. These women are pranking Beck for trying to make an accident into a politically-motivated assault.

Did you not see the part where a friend of the woman tweeted to her that she should "accidentally" spill something or "accidentally" kick him in the mouth?

THat sure is one big coincidence for her to actually accidentally spill something after her and her friends tweets.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I didn't even realize he had security. Beck can go pound sand with this BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies