Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So would you chose someone like Pyongyang, Hugo Chavez, Mahmoud AchmadiNejad or Bashar al-Assad.

I can't believe you people agree with this. Do you actually think we would have a Dictator that wouldn't become power hungry. What are you thinking!! This is down right scary that Americans would think like this.
No. I admit it's a fantasy. It would never happen. The point was that this would be the only way we would willingly (the west) do what's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I agree, we need a dictator. So something gets done other than the usual bipartisan dicking around.
People in this country are weak and too afraid of short-term suffering for long-term gain and it's about time somebody put their foot down.
Ahem. Not to boast, but I'm mature, rested, tanned, and ready. I can name all the state capitals. Kentucky? Frankfort. South Dakota? Pierre. North Dakota? Bismarck. I know whom Ringo replaced as the Beatles' drummer (Pete Best).

I'm a veteran. I can bowl without bumpers. I know the secret password that opens the gates of paradise.

My experience? I've been blue-collar, white-collar, dog-collar, and currently no-collar.

And I'm 65, so I'll keep the dicking around to a minimum. (Except for that 'gates of paradise password' stuff. I fibbed about that.)

p.s. I could use a Chinese executive assistant.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 07-07-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
No. I admit it's a fantasy. It would never happen. The point was that this would be the only way we would willingly (the west) do what's right.
BigJon, guess I still don't get were you think a dictator would solve our problems. No one completely agrees with the Democrat side or the Republicans. Doesn't seem like it's possible for someone to be in the middle of the road. Seems there's only Left or Right and some people are to far on each side. So, which side would this person need to be on??

You say it's a fantasy, I always saw it as "NO WAY". But seems you have support on this issue. I'm not sure why anyone thinks a dictator would not become power hungry and try to rule the people by one man's laws, rather than a nation of laws.

I like our system. Just think that once a person becomes President, the party side of that person has to go and he/she does what's right for the People of America.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
BigJon, guess I still don't get were you think a dictator would solve our problems. No one completely agrees with the Democrat side or the Republicans. Doesn't seem like it's possible for someone to be in the middle of the road. Seems there's only Left or Right and some people are to far on each side. So, which side would this person need to be on??

You say it's a fantasy, I always saw it as "NO WAY". But seems you have support on this issue. I'm not sure why anyone thinks a dictator would not become power hungry and try to rule the people by one man's laws, rather than a nation of laws.

I like our system. Just think that once a person becomes President, the party side of that person has to go and he/she does what's right for the People of America.
A dictator has no care in the world about getting reelected. Therefore he wouldn't care at all about telling people what to do whether they like it or not.

It's really just about the only solution I can see to vast number of problems we're facing today.

You mention Medicare or SS reforms and you'll never win an election ever again. The subject is so toxic they don't even put it on the table most of the time.

Quote:
The 2009 report projects that, under intermediate
assumptions, the HI trust fund will become insolvent in 2017, two years earlier than projected in
the 2008 report. The 2009 projection is nine years earlier than that projected in 2003, prior to the
enactment of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003
(MMA).
http://aging.senate.gov/crs/medicare14.pdf

Quote:
In the 2011 Annual Report to Congress, the Trustees announced:
  • The projected point at which the combined Trust Funds will be exhausted comes in 2036 -- one year sooner than projected last year. At that time, there will be sufficient non-interest income coming in to pay about 77 percent of scheduled benefits.
  • The point at which non-interest income fell below program costs was 2010. Program costs are projected to exceed non-interest income throughout the remainder of the 75-year period.
  • The projected actuarial deficit over the 75-year long-range period is 2.22 percent of taxable payroll -- 0.30 percentage point larger than in last year’s report.
  • Over the 75-year period, the Trust Funds would require additional revenue equivalent to $6.5 trillion in present value dollars to pay all scheduled benefits.
Social Security Press Office: Social Security Board of Trustees:Projected Trust Fund Exhaustion One Year Sooner

Quote:
The number of unemployed persons (14.1 million) and the unemployment rate (9.2 percent) were essentially unchanged over the month. Since March, the number of unemployed persons has increased by 545,000, and the unemployment rate has risen by 0.4 percentage point. The labor force, at 153.4 million, changed little over the month. (See table A-1.)
Employment Situation Summary

Quote:
The whole international system—as constructed following WWII—will be revolutionized. Not only will new players—Brazil, Russia, India and China— have a seat at the international high table, they will bring new stakes and rules of the game.
The unprecedented transfer of wealth roughly from West to East now under way will continue for the foreseeable future.
Unprecedented economic growth, coupled with 1.5 billion more people, will put pressure on resources—particularly energy, food, and water—raising the specter of scarcities emerging as demand outstrips supply.
The potential for conflict will increase owing partly to political turbulence in parts of the greater Middle East.
NIC 2025 Project (http://www.dni.gov/nic/NIC_2025_project.html - broken link)

Quote:
GENEVA — The world needs $1.9 trillion in green technology investments a year, with over half of that sum necessary for developing countries," the UN said Tuesday.
"Over the next 40 years, $1.9 trillion (1.31 trillion euros) per year will be needed for incremental investments in green technologies," the UN Economic and Social Affairs body said in its annual survey.
"At least one-half, or $1.1 trillion per year, of the required investments will need to be made in developing countries to meet their rapidly increasing food and energy demands through the application of green technologies," it added.
AFP: World needs $1.9tn a year for green technology: UN

Our country is in so much trouble right now and no one can even mention any of it because they're immediately lambasted and demagogued.

http://jkshaws.files.wordpress.com/2...paul-ryan1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/...448_z.jpg?zz=1

Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,989,336 times
Quote:
No one else has asked and before I jump I'm going tp assume this is sarcasm................are you serious about a dictator for America??
Probably yes he is or that is what is in the works if we don't stand up for our selves.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Our economy is in free fall. The best chance it has is to secure resources in Central Eurasia and along with that trade routes. If it can't do that before we start to get our credit ratings degraded, then our economy comes crashing down. If it can do that we'll prolong that crashing down for a couple more decades. Then kaboom.
In the US civil war the US government couldn't get financing. So Good old Abe printed the good old greenback and we had the war without borrowing money. We did it once and we can do it again.

The economic free fall can be stopped by printing money and giving it to everyone.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So liberals/Democrats, between the 2 illegal wars being perpetuated, your votes for wall street bailouts and the tax cuts/payroll holiday that many members of your own party signed onto, 4 trillion dollars in extra debt incurred by the current democratic administration, what exactly have you and your ideas done for the middle class?
A better question is: what has either party done for the middle class?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
In the US civil war the US government couldn't get financing. So Good old Abe printed the good old greenback and we had the war without borrowing money. We did it once and we can do it again.

The economic free fall can be stopped by printing money and giving it to everyone.
Not since the Federal Reserve was created.

But leave it to an America to run up the credit card and when the bill is due run from any real sacrifices you created for yourself.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,296,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So liberals/Democrats, between the 2 illegal wars being perpetuated, your votes for wall street bailouts and the tax cuts/payroll holiday that many members of your own party signed onto, 4 trillion dollars in extra debt incurred by the current democratic administration, what exactly have you and your ideas done for the middle class?
Mmm, I see you came out for sunshine.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Not since the Federal Reserve was created.
The fed can be abolished. And we can mint coins. They are not part of the national debt.
Quote:

But leave it to an America to run up the credit card and when the bill is due run from any real sacrifices you created for yourself.
Defrauding the middle class is what is going on, the real sacrifices that you are talking about is the supper wealthy giving back the wealth that they took. If you want us to pay back the credit card bill then we need full employment and a booming economy. The alternative is to default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies