Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

You get the impression the UN is like the boy scouts selling peanut brittle or light bulbs to finance the new global government.

Green is the new scam to earn the upper crusties like Al Gore and friends a firm hold on an upper class life style while the world grovels in equality at their feet. Such is the new social order and how it is being financed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to turn the UN into high rise apartments or maybe just a fishing pier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You use what you have. But that shouldn't prevent you from thinking about the future.
America has always been forward thinking and people have been working on alternatives to fossil fuels since their inception.
Difference being, for progressive types "thinking about the future", means let the central planners dictate it with everyone elses money.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Heck, people are fighting their HOAs for metal roofs and solar panels.
It is exactly why I avoided looking for a home under HOA. Not only I would have saved thousands of dollars by the time my mortgage payoff happens in couple of years, it will make for no hassle and a pretty good down payment on solar panels I have planned.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
America has always been forward thinking and people have been working on alternatives to fossil fuels since their inception.
Difference being, for progressive types "thinking about the future", means let the central planners dictate it with everyone elses money.
Central planners were put in place for a reason. Individuals think only for themselves, and usually in their best interests. The central planners, however, was a device put in place to work for the nation (and at various lower levels). It shouldn't take only the progressives to recognize that fact.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I agree that advanced technology like fusion or spaceflight can help privide humanity an escape from the trap it may find itself in. Unfortunately both are still glints in the minds eye and one of the reasons it may cost tens of trillions of dollars to bring a "green" world to fruitition. I am optimisitic it can be done because it is not "impossible". Also we are not alone there are millions of brains and hands and people with the good hearts to grasp the future and make it happen. Not everything has to make a buck. The world is more than the narrow minded executive suites found in the United States!
fusion and going to mars should not be for profit it should be done because I ssay iof we work together where nuclear physcists and engineers would do it because you would be part of something that will be one of our great achivemnts and I think if we really wanted with dedicated people in many fields and the best and brightist from around the world we could fusion 25-30 years.

As for mars while it starts with a trip back to the moon say 2020 to train the crew and build pretty much and updated verion of the apollo test it and work the bugs out 8 year would be very attainable and a whole new generation would then get behind a mars mission afted we make 4-5 manned trips to the moon to test out other things for the mars mission and get some experinenced crew and test things need for the mars trip

I find we slowed down and the 21st century seems like after just watching the last shuttle launch with no replacement ready and NASA losing most of their staff to the private sector it feels like and end to and era of sorts.

from the apollo missions to the space shuttle which lauched hubble and was a major part in creating the first manned space station to now having to hitch rides with russia which is Ironic because before the soviet union fell they were the reason we pushed ourselfs to do it and led to JFK's infamous speech.

YouTube - ‪Apollo 11 40th anniversary‬‏
seems the greatest like JFK and MLK both had a vision and knew that it could be achieved and really belived in it and people listened.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Central planners were put in place for a reason. Individuals think only for themselves, and usually in their best interests. The central planners, however, was a device put in place to work for the nation (and at various lower levels). It shouldn't take only the progressives to recognize that fact.
Central planning is a communist idea. Figures you like it so much.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Solar panels are great. Wind power is great. Fact is it's not cost effective and until it is won't be in use in mainstream anywhere. The simple fact is our world right now is built on oil and the benifits of it and that won't change for a long time. Not just for energy but for everything. The next phase we are into is the rare earth elements to power your cell phones and cars and ipods. That is why we won't be leaving afghan anytime soon. Any of you greenies rolling around in your battery cars with an ipad counting on windmills better realize were at war for you now not for just oil.

Rare earth metals mine is key to US control over hi-tech future | Environment | The Guardian

Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:

The idea that individuals think for themselves and always do what is in their best interest is demonstrably false. Are you familiar with something called "The Tragedy of Commons". The tendency to over use things that are a common property like the village green or not want to pay for things that
are needed but do not become personal property or to want government bnefits but not pay taxes. Right wingers need to admit that pastures with no grass cover, woodlots with no trees, streets with offal and garbage laying around and communities that have to relie on vigilanties instead of police is not a great way to go but this was a good description of Merry Old England several hundred years ago.I thank my ancestors for straining their brains and getting organized to deal with these problems. They invented modern social democracy.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
I am in favor of real "green" solutions w/ alternative energy. They do exist. I do agree they need to make sense. I also think it could create jobs.
Big money keeps a lot of this stuff from going anywhere. Andrea Rossi has some interesting technology coming out soon it appears.
I am not a fan of nuclear at all. (Toxic and Dangerous. Expensive, Uninsurable etc...)

I think the whole carbon tax thing is another derivative scam. That said I thought this was funny on carbon emissions.

One Volcano Exposes The Massive Carbon Scheme Fraud

Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I also think it could create jobs.
There is a study on Spain that suggested for every 1 job created more than 2 were lost. The Spanish governement first criticized this but then it came out a year or two later from leaked document with their own assessments it was correct.

The jobs creation argument for green tech just doesn't fly for a variety of reasons. There is lot of man hours that goes into building and maintaining the infrastructure in fossil fuel generation including many more long term jobs. Even if it were true they won't be created here, they'll go overseas.

On the flip side I don't think we stymie progress because someone is going to lose their job, the "Buggy Whip Maker" argument is often used and rightly so but this isn't the same scenario.

Quote:
Big money keeps a lot of this stuff from going anywhere

How so? The way you make money is bringing a better product to the market. If for example you produced a solar panel that could compete with coal you wold want to patent and bring this product to the market so you could make a fortune. If you try and hide it by not patenting or making it public someone else could, a patent only lasts for 20 years which is relatively short time to develop and deploy any kind of tech like this on really large scale. It would be within the best of interests of the patent owner to move forward quickly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies