Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I believe that is illegal these days. I know it's illegal to offer better policies to "special people".
Different health care systems. Still talking about UHC countries. Since there is no employement-health care link to start off with, rules are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Its actually more clear than that: The social healthcare costs half what the US model does. And costs increase slower. So wether it is under pressure or not, the pressure is significantly lower than the US model, and the distance is increasing.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Not that you can't get private insurance in those countries. Insurance companies will happily sell it to you. But few people buy it, mostly because the insurance companies can rarely show that they are better than the public systems in any way.
This is true.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Many Americans believe that healthcare is not a human right.

I think we need a single-payer system. It is rediculous that in this country healthcare is put in the hands of the market, when it is an industry that operates far outside of market forces.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Just remember these three simple rules:

1) All government health care is BAD and MARXIST.

2) Except, of course, for Medicare. Especially Medicare Plan D. Because it was passed in 2003 by a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and signed into law by a Republican President. Just remember -- any government health care enacted by Republicans is neither BAD nor MARXIST. Why? Because Republicans enacted it, silly! I mean, duh!

3) Also, Romney Care. Sometimes it's BAD and MARXIST, sometimes it's good! It really depends on the year and the shifting winds and the pandering needs of Republicans candidates. In order to gauge whether Romney Care is good, or BAD and MARXIST, just whisper the words "Mitt Romney" to Grover Norquist and see how long it takes him to start screaming about drowning government in a bathtub. Two seconds or less, it's BAD and MARXIST. More than two seconds... well, eventually anything you say to Grover eventually leads to his bathtub-drowning fantasies.

See? It's SO simple

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

I think we need a single-payer system.
Translation please!
Is that the same as we have whereby a deduction is made from your salary which covers Social Security, Healthcare etc??

Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Conservatives are so adorable when they natter on about this subject. How can any of you argue with a straight face that government should regulate against abortion but let a full grown woman die from lack of access to health insurance?

A healthy workforce affects all of us. Let's not be foolish and pretend otherwise.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Many Americans believe that healthcare is not a human right.
So you believe it's a right? When was it granted?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,730 times
Default Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It is our responsibility as a society. It simply isn't our responsibility as a government.

There is a big difference between a social responsibility and a legal obligation.

And with respect, how was your brother uninsurable if he got insurance in the end?
In the posting. His job gave him insurance. How would you expect "society" to be responsible for health insurance. It isn't feasible, so WE THE PEOPLE do it through the goverment OF THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,730 times
Default Of course he doesn't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I love my brother, and I am damn glad he did. Aren't you? Or do you think a twelve year old or an amputee cancer survivor should be kicked the curb?

Man up. Our tax dollars can do good things sometimes, and I am damn proud of it. We already know we can kill every person on earth with our weapons.

Caring is a crazy liberal ideal!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So you believe it's a right? When was it granted?
America is the one developed country which has not deemed it a right, but it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies