Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Uh huh. OK, well what I actually mean is like, amenities of every single type. This morning, for example, during my 15 minute walk to work, I left my house, went directly across the street to drop off my dry cleaning, grabbed a coffee along the way, and then was at work. On the way home I'll stop off at a bar that is right next to my workplace, then go to a bookstore, about a block away, to grab a book I've been looking to buy.

Distractions from real life, lol.
It's sad having to break down every little post for this guy. It's almost like a parody of what he is trying to disprove and try casting on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the sheet hits the fan, a country boy will survive!

How many city slickers own a scoped rifle?
How many own a pistol?

No wonder they want to take our guns away, mainly semi-auto long guns.
Those intellectual elites in the city, fear the rednecks that can hit a dime at 500 yards, more so than a city slicker that can't hit a target at 30 yards with there 9mm.
You're assuming that everybody the lives in a city doesn't know how to shoot, had weapons training or has never spent any time out in the country.

And that bullsh*t about a redneck hitting a dime at 500 yards?

Please the effective range of an M-16 or M-4 is about 400 meters. Most targets in a combat situation are engaged at 100 to 300 meters.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Okay,to me,those ARE distractions from your life,something to fill in the time because your life would be empty otherwise.

No...I am saying when people discuss amenities,most people seem to really mean lost of different places to eat...Americans are a little obsessed with eating.

No, American's aren't obsessed with eating. They're obsessed with scarfing down crappy food as quickly as they can. I grew up in Germany and spent a lot of time in France (I lived in Baden Wurttemberg) and THOSE people are obsessed with eating. But they savor, they enjoy and they relax. Food is a huge part of their lives in Europe, and in America it's just something to do to pass time.

As for the general premise of the OP, you may be surprised at how many people who live in the 'Big City' grew up elsewhere in the country. Have you ever seen the show 'The Colony'? It's pretty interesting and deals with something similar to what is being discussed here.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
City Slickers > Inbreeding Rednecks.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You're assuming that everybody the lives in a city doesn't know how to shoot, had weapons training or has never spent any time out in the country.

And that bullsh*t about a redneck hitting a dime at 500 yards?

Please the effective range of an M-16 or M-4 is about 400 meters. Most targets in a combat situation are engaged at 100 to 300 meters.
Most 'rednecks' I know can't shoot worth a darn. Most of them need scopes and 'cheats' to help them hit a target, but they sure are good at bragging about their prowess

I prefer archery, personally.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
In other words,you are do not rely upon others to do what needs to be done.

You do it yourself.
Uh huh. We have to. Price we pay for elbow room. I always wonder where this urban/rural "education" business got started ....I mean..well, would someone please define "education "? Or can I safely assume its a relative word?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, American's aren't obsessed with eating. They're obsessed with scarfing down crappy food as quickly as they can. I grew up in Germany and spent a lot of time in France (I lived in Baden Wurttemberg) and THOSE people are obsessed with eating. But they savor, they enjoy and they relax. Food is a huge part of their lives in Europe, and in America it's just something to do to pass time.
True...except Americans also scarf down good food in huge quantities too...
It is also funny when presented with actual good bread for example,quite a few find it 'wrong'...same goes for beef that is raised properly on grass,it tastes 'funny'....

I worked with a European Chef once and we would joke Americans think if one cup of sugar in a recipe is good,THREE cups is even better.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
All the amenities in the world (however you define them) won't mean squat if you don't have electricity......The vast amount of reliable power generation assets with even nominally good fuel resources are in the Midwest and the west. City's with close proximity to large hydro or Nuclear plants may be able to maintain some semblance of order\control but most of the major metros in the US will be death traps in 3 days........Even base load coal plants typically only have a months fuel storage. After that they will be held captive by whomever controls the rail lines and the mines....

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Guess that order would depend on how well you like your neighbor.
Rednecvk is OK with a nice Red wine

Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
City Slickers > Inbreeding Rednecks.
Sounds like Pol Pot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies