Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times

Advertisements

I think social class/wealth is now the biggest divider among us. Both parties support globalization and outsourcing of jobs and support subsidizing the wealthy. One side wants more reliance on food stamps & the other wants to destroy worker's rights.

If there ever comes a day where the middle class is extinct and 1% of the population truly own 99% of everything, the top 1% and their worshipers should worry because things will explode like a powder keg. It could be similar to France in 1789.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I think social class/wealth is now the biggest divider among us. Both parties support globalization and outsourcing of jobs and support subsidizing the wealthy. One side wants more reliance on food stamps & the other wants to destroy worker's rights.

If there ever comes a day where the middle class is extinct and 1% of the population truly own 99% of everything, the top 1% and their worshipers should worry because things will explode like a powder keg. It could be similar to France in 1789.
Whenever the middle class is "extinct" it is the "Government" that owns "99%" of everything.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Whenever the middle class is "extinct" it is the "Government" that owns "99%" of everything.
Not really, the government is already broke & will be even worse off if the middle class disappears due to loss of that group's tax revenues.

When the middle class disappears big banks like Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan Chase & corporations like United Health Care & Monsanto will own just about everything. Oh, and don't forget our foreign pals, they'll own many of our assets too.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Flat or Consumption Taxs. See how easy that is. Now go find someone in Washingtoon to push it.
Casper
Now why would they do that? If they keep the country divided and keep playing the 51% who pay no federal income taxes for the fools they are, the government can overspend themselves into oblivion on whatever the hell they want. No one will stop them.

They know exactly what they're doing which is why they want to keep us divided.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post

If there ever comes a day where the middle class is extinct and 1% of the population truly own 99% of everything...
Another one who gets it totally wrong. The top 1%'s share of the wealth has DECLINED since 1995. The only group getting richer is the upper-middle class.

Table 1, here:
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This is the Mitch McConnell form of governance.
The less the government can do,the better off we will be.

Unless you prescribe to the idea that government is the answer to our problems...then you are just a nanny statist.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wrong AGAIN buckaroo. WE vote them in, We keep them there. WE get the government WE deserve.
NEXT!
Casper
Sorry to see that you are a statist at heart.

It does seem to go hand in hand with leftist beliefs though....

You DO realise that means we got the government we deserve during the Bush years...LOL...

Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Simple, in 2012 get the Tnuts out of Congress. Until then, it will be more of the same, nothing accomplished.
That will NEVER happen till u remove ALL private money from elections,

people feel that mega-corp profits are more important than americans having

decent jobs and fixing the import/export disparity.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
OK, as a liberal, I often feel like I'm not being heard by or talking past conservatives, and I'm sure conservatives feel the same way about me and other liberals.

Most of us can agree that there's too much bitter partisanship, too much polarization, and too much corruption in "the system." I also believe, maybe naively, that most Americans mean well, that people really care about something bigger than themselves, even if we disagree on what that should look like.

So let me ask this question: Where do we start in bringing people together, instead of dividing, polarizing, and ignoring people?

I would like a border please between the left coast and the north east please.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 AM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Another one who gets it totally wrong. The top 1%'s share of the wealth has DECLINED since 1995. The only group getting richer is the upper-middle class.

Table 1, here:
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
1% or 5%, Who cares !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies