Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am sorry the gunman did not write a 1500 page manifesto on the New York times. Additionally that manifesto has a giant templar cross on the cover and makes numerous references to crusading.
I see the only thing you managed to mention about the message was that the man didn't do any of the things she suggested. Damn those Christians and all the things they do wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
I do not think anything talking about a man who kills 90 people can be called humorous. I refuse to read it because I consider it insulting to my home country and my family.
you will never know whether the piece was humorous or not since you refuse to even look at it. Maybe you missed the part of my OP that quoted and the fact that it was Christians that the Times took to the wood shed.

I am sorry that I hurt your feelings but I didn't now any Norwegians were here.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Leave it to someone like Ann Coulter to turn this tragedy into an attack on the New York Times.

Finding humor in it is beyond comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am sorry that I hurt your feelings but I didn't now any Norwegians were here.
What a bizarre thing to say - and misspelled too. Mighty impressive.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,399,220 times
Quote:
I see the only thing you managed to mention about the message was that the man didn't do any of the things she suggested. Damn those Christians and all the things they do wrong.
Y'all persecution complex. Suddenly if one nutty person who happens to be a fundamentalist Christian snaps you have to 1. Ignore the blatently obvious fact that he was indeed a Christian and if he had done everything he did minus going crazy no-one would question his religion. 2. Whine about how everyone is always out to get the poor defenseless Christians of the Western World.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,023 times
Quote:
Y'all persecution complex. Suddenly if one nutty person who happens to be a fundamentalist Christian snaps you have to 1. Ignore the blatently obvious fact that he was indeed a Christian and if he had done everything he did minus going crazy no-one would question his religion. 2. Whine about how everyone is always out to get the poor defenseless Christians of the Western World.
Was that the bit from the Daily Show?
In the Name of the Fodder - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 07/27/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

My yes, it was.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Quote:
This one is very humorous and does to the Times what it has needed for a long time. This time it isn't the Times columnists that are being had.

The New York Times wasted no time in jumping to conclusions about Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian who staged two deadly attacks in Oslo last weekend, claiming in the first two paragraphs of one story that he was a "gun-loving," "right-wing," "fundamentalist Christian," opposed to "multiculturalism."

New York Times Reader Kills Dozens in Norway - Page 1 - Ann Coulter - Townhall Conservative
Wrong. The Times didn't jump to conclusions about Breivik. His own writings---1,500 pages worth---are very clear in how the man describes himself. Only Fox news could take a story of a mass murder and instead of talking about the crime and the victims, they turn it into a Christians-are-being-unfairly-treated story. Boo, hoo.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,828,426 times
Fact: The shooter was an avid reader of the NY Times.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,953,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Leave it to someone like Ann Coulter to turn this tragedy into an attack on the New York Times.

Finding humor in it is beyond comprehension.

What a bizarre thing to say - and misspelled too. Mighty impressive.
Wasn't it some left-wing publication or blog that claimed American gun laws were the reason why the Norwegian went on a shooting rampage?

Quote:
Except it turns out the guy never attended church in Norway preceding the attacks You'd think a committed Christian that would want to go on crusades would attend church if they are that committed but he didn't

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wasn't it some left-wing publication or blog that claimed American gun laws were the reason why the Norwegian went on a shooting rampage?
It was Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York who made that nutty connection.

Rep. McCarthy: Lax American gun laws helped arm Norwegian shooter - TheHill.com

I don't see what that has to do with Ann Coulter using the massacre as a means to bash the New York Times.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,535,588 times
Quote:
This one is very humorous and does to the Times what it has needed for a long time. This time it isn't the Times columnists that are being had.

The New York Times wasted no time in jumping to conclusions about Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian who staged two deadly attacks in Oslo last weekend, claiming in the first two paragraphs of one story that he was a "gun-loving," "right-wing," "fundamentalist Christian," opposed to "multiculturalism."

New York Times Reader Kills Dozens in Norway - Page 1 - Ann Coulter - Townhall Conservative
Interesting that Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly(and a bunch of CityData posters) seem to be more outraged that some news reports called Breivik "a Christian" than by the fact that he commited two acts of terrorism that killed more than 80 people. Not even to bring up Glen Beck, who just seemed outraged that Norwegian youths shot were allowed to meet and discuss politics at a summer camp in the first place.

And yes I know the inevitable response--the Fort Hood shooter wasn't called Muslim enough times by the media. But it's just interesing how many pundits(and wannabe pundits) are just focusing their anger on the nature of the media coverage or even the victims(or even Muslims) rather than the fact that this sick lunatic committed an act of mass murder against innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies