Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have buyers remorse after voting for Obama?
Yes. He is not what I thought he was. I am dissappointed. 28 50.00%
No. Everything is going as I had hoped. I am happy with Obama. 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
As someone who stupidly voted for Obama, I can say I have buyers remorse in a big way. The only saving grace for me is I voted for him in the primary, not the general. I had to go "other" in the general. During the primary season, I fell for his majic tongue hook, line and sinker. Then I wised up.
Well, not being stupid or grossly naive, I don't have buyers remorse in the least bit given the context of the time and the candidates from which we had to choose. Am I disappointed, no politician living or dead could possibly live up to my expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM

773 posts, read 503,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well, not being stupid or grossly naive, I don't have buyers remorse in the least bit given the context of the time and the candidates from which we had to choose. Am I disappointed, no politician living or dead could possibly live up to my expectations.
Hillary was running against Obama. Do you think she would have been better than Obama, now that we have seen the disastrous results after 2.5 years?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Hillary was running against Obama. Do you think she would have been better than Obama, now that we have seen the disastrous results after 2.5 years?
Any astute political observer should know that there was only the slimmest of hairs separating the policies advocated by then Senators Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama, only the slimmest. Anyone who seriously attempts to argue that Hillary would have acted differently on any range of issues is risible.

The Democratic nomination was was decided upon the resentment over Hillary's vote authorizing the war in Iraq, the progressive wing of the Party's distaste for the Clintonian penchant for triangulation, and the widely held belief that Hillary would prove to be such a lighting rod for rabid dog conservatives that they would be so energized by Hillary's candidacy that she would end up losing in the general election. Lastly, there is no discounting that Obama being an African American added extra excitement into a history making primary, but policy, the only policy difference, ironically, was that Hillary adamantly supported mandated national health care and Obama at the time did not.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
I voted for Obama in the general election; voted for Clinton in the primary. Was going to vote McCain in the general, but bringing Palin on board was a deal-breaker for me. No buyers remorse due to the choice I had. Not thrilled with Obama and hoping that the GOP will give me a candidate that I am comfortable with. If not, then I guess I'm voting Obama again. I didn't care for Bush, but voted for him in 2004. Sometimes it is a matter of voting for who you feel might be the least worst.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I think Obama is fine. He has had a tough row to hoe. We all have. Would Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Kucinich or anyone else have done better? I doubt it. Would McCain have done better? Well, perhaps, but only because the Tea Party would have never emerged to be such idiots. The Bush years were such a complete disaster on so many levels that another republican administration was unthinkable. As it is to me now. I have seen nothing that suggest they can govern for all Americans. I believe Obama can.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think Obama is fine. He has had a tough row to hoe. We all have. Would Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Kucinich or anyone else have done better? I doubt it. Would McCain have done better? Well, perhaps, but only because the Tea Party would have never emerged to be such idiots. The Bush years were such a complete disaster on so many levels that another republican administration was unthinkable. As it is to me now. I have seen nothing that suggest they can govern for all Americans. I believe Obama can.
I wish I shared your optimism about Obama being able to govern for all Americans. Not because of his actual ability, but because there is such blind hatred of him out there by a sizable, vocal segment of the population, including some of the US Congress. It appears to be a segment that would gladly drag the entire country down, as long as Obama went down with it.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
I definitely don't have buyers remorse......the alternative would have been McCain and Palin

Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Even though your poll questions, like most polls here on C-D, are "all-or-nothing" questions, I voted "no" because that's my answer to the question "do you have any regrets voting for Obama?"

Is everything going the way I'd hoped? No. Am I happy with him? Not all the time, not on all issues. Does he beat the alternatives? Hell yeah!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
As someone who stupidly voted for Obama, I can say I have buyers remorse in a big way. The only saving grace for me is I voted for him in the primary, not the general. I had to go "other" in the general. During the primary season, I fell for his majic tongue hook, line and sinker. Then I wised up.

I'm very much wishing other people wised up before they voted as well. So how about you? Do you have buyers remorse about Obama? Is he everything you thought he would be or is he just another politician. A nasty, partisan, mean one at that (going by how he demonizes ANYONE who does not go along with everything he wants to do).
Wish I wised up during the general. I forgot who I voted for in the primary. Probably Obama too since Gravel dropped out before he reached PA.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

A Heritage member voted for Obama? Really?
Yea I know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies