Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
1.) Stop running up more and more debt.
2.) Less government and less needless bureaucracy.
3.) Lower taxes for everyone -- let the people keep the money that they make.
Most people have a reasonable tax structure at this point. The problem is that we have upped spending on defense, at a time when we have cute taxes. Furthermore, the great recession has killed revenues, which has only widened the balance. And yes, I will grant you, that Obama has spent more than his predecessor. But Obama's spending has to be examined in the right context: there was a recession and governments spend their way out of recessions.

The Democrats are demanding that the Bill Gates' of the world pay a bit more than some secretary in a mid-town office. I think that's only fair. But more to the point, it's the only way that people who are concerned about the budget are going to make up the difference. The irony is, if you cut government jobs, you might add more unemployment and thereby create less tax receipts. You'll still have a debt problem even if you cut spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Did you know that in Germany over 80% of everything the German people buy is made in Germany?
How about the USA? Is it even 10%. Right there you have one of the main problems of the country. WE have the same problem here in Canada but it does not affect us as badly because we have never depended so much on our manufacturing sector as the USA. We have more of a resource based economy. There is a very easy solution for this problem and it's a solution that both created and built the American economy in the first place. Just put a great big whopping tariff on all imports except those from your free trade partners. And even those free trade partners must be tariffed to the point of the difference in cost due to wage disparity, lack of environmental standards etc. If not it's not free trade anyway but unfair trade.

Because of the decline in America actually building and making things of real wealth, wall street was allowed to become the legal version of Madoff. During the GW Bush administration over 40% of the growth in the American economy was in worthless paper schemes like credit default swaps. All of this worthless junk has now ruined the USA economy and there is no easy way out at all.

Sure the government spending is causing some problems but that are mainly in response right now and during this entire administration to the devastation brought on the country by Greed INC. let free to wreck not only the American economy but create a world wide problem.

There is no solution tothe problem if you just look at the governments responsibility here. Capitalism is failing the country. Instead of building the economy it's tearing it down. It's like the killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Profits, profits profits at any cost to the workers, the country , the environment and ultimately to themselves. They want to make big money in China, India, Mexico and elsewhere. What about America? They don't think Americans need jobs. John Deere just closed a plant here in Welland On. That plant had been running for 100 years. They transfered most of the production to Mexico. I personally will NEVER buy one single thing made by John Deere ever again.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Right...

Covering your eyes, ears and mouth doesn't make it all go away.

If we could just go backwards and act like we're not one planet.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If that were the case many cable outlets would be out of business and MSM news too. They all lie and run with BS stories before they get facts. I try not to watch em much anymore if at all.
KU, I would LOVE it if all media sources, regardless of political slant, was called out for broadcasting lies. I am far more loyal to truth than to liberal or conservative ideals. Reality beats idealism every time.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Did you know that in Germany over 80% of everything the German people buy is made in Germany?
How about the USA? Is it even 10%. Right there you have one of the main problems of the country. WE have the same problem here in Canada but it does not affect us as badly because we have never depended so much on our manufacturing sector as the USA. We have more of a resource based economy. There is a very easy solution for this problem and it's a solution that both created and built the American economy in the first place. Just put a great big whopping tariff on all imports except those from your free trade partners. And even those free trade partners must be tariffed to the point of the difference in cost due to wage disparity, lack of environmental standards etc. If not it's not free trade anyway but unfair trade.

Because of the decline in America actually building and making things of real wealth, wall street was allowed to become the legal version of Madoff. During the GW Bush administration over 40% of the growth in the American economy was in worthless paper schemes like credit default swaps. All of this worthless junk has now ruined the USA economy and there is no easy way out at all.

Sure the government spending is causing some problems but that are mainly in response right now and during this entire administration to the devastation brought on the country by Greed INC. let free to wreck not only the American economy but create a world wide problem.

There is no solution tothe problem if you just look at the governments responsibility here. Capitalism is failing the country. Instead of building the economy it's tearing it down. It's like the killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Profits, profits profits at any cost to the workers, the country , the environment and ultimately to themselves. They want to make big money in China, India, Mexico and elsewhere. What about America? They don't think Americans need jobs. John Deere just closed a plant here in Welland On. That plant had been running for 100 years. They transfered most of the production to Mexico. I personally will NEVER buy one single thing made by John Deere ever again.
Your attitude is what is wrong.

Life was all fine and dandy while you could buy most anything you want for while the rest of the planet lived in abject poverty. Now that other people are starting to be able to want for things, and get them (more than $1 a year), you're freaking angry about that.

That's the most selfish attitude on the entire planet and it seems to be a very common one. It's one that's caused wars in the past and it makes capitalist look like soft little angels.

The MIRAGE Model | International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)

Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times
Well, supposedly, the congress is close to a deal, which should be a relief. Unfortunately, I think the damage is probably already done. Would anyone really blame Japan and China if they started calling more of their debt home and if global investors stopped using the dollar is a backup currency? Anyone in the tea party thought about what a decline in the value of the dollar would do to the economy?

It's not only the value of the dollar we're talking about here (which never had to be in any real danger); it's the perceived value of the dollar and the stability of the economy that matters as well. And when the outside world looks at the U.S., increasingly, they look at it not as a place with great entrepreneurial minds, they look at it as a place where common sense is no longer welcome in politics, and it's having an effect on business. The U.S. is no longer a great place to invest. No last-minute deal between spineless democrats and nutjob fanatical tea party zealots is going to change that.

The stupidity of the American voter is, I'm afraid, a long-term reality, and it's going to have long-term consequences, which is why I keep thinking more and more about the serious possibility of finding another place to live while I can. My ancestors made the move, and so can I.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your attitude is what is wrong.

Life was all fine and dandy while you could buy most anything you want for while the rest of the planet lived in abject poverty. Now that other people are starting to be able to want for things, and get them (more than $1 a year), you're freaking angry about that.

That's the most selfish attitude on the entire planet and it seems to be a very common one. It's one that's caused wars in the past and it makes capitalist look like soft little angels.

The MIRAGE Model | International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
You are putting a lot of words into my mouth. I'm all for the development of poor nations but this current model of globalization does not work very well for them or for us. For example, your average Chinese worker has benefitted very little for all the expansion of the Chinese economy. They can't afford to buy any of that cheap junk they send here for our Walmart type consummers. Globalization is not about raising the living standards of the third world at all. It's about creating more wealth for that small % that already has most of it. Have you ever been to Mexico? When I was there a few months ago I checked out a Walmart there. The prices were a little higher than in the USA and most of the people that I was talking to made around $1 per hour. The fact that these third world countries can now make a lot of consummer goods does them no good at all when the people that make them can't afford a $10 shirt!!!!!!!

You know that if we in the west Made it far more difficult for the Chinese to dump their products here they would have to turn to their own domestic market as the primary engine of the economy. That is what will benefit the people, not making and selling to the west and paying slave wages to the workers for it.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What makes you think it's not?
You answer a question with a question?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You answer a question with a question?
You just did too.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You are putting a lot of words into my mouth. I'm all for the development of poor nations but this current model of globalization does not work very well for them or for us. For example, your average Chinese worker has benefitted very little for all the expansion of the Chinese economy. They can't afford to buy any of that cheap junk they send here for our Walmart type consumers.
That will change when they start demanding "human rights" like we did after their industrial revolution is reaching its peak and starting to end. They'll be pushing for SS, Medicare, Medicaid, free phones, welfare, food stamps, unemployment, etc. It'll do to their economy exactly what it did to ours.

Quote:
Globalization is not about raising the living standards of the third world at all. It's about creating more wealth for that small % that already has most of it.
Globalization is impossible to stop without a major war (or something like a very large EMP attack) that stops the normal process of people, like the bacteria they are, colonizing and information sharing and technology will link them at the speed of light.

Quote:
Have you ever been to Mexico? When I was there a few months ago I checked out a Walmart there. The prices were a little higher than in the USA and most of the people that I was talking to made around $1 per hour. The fact that these third world countries can now make a lot of consummer goods does them no good at all when the people that make them can't afford a $10 shirt!!!!!!!
Don't you worry, it's in the works. What happens when people work for forever and still have nothing? They revolt, take over their governments and demand rights. In due time... Surely you remember all the "reforms" the progressives enacted after the IR? Unfortunately when the resources start to run out those reforms become burdensome and the government must go out and get more resources if those people are to maintain their standards of living. One problem with that is we're on a finite planet. There will be a breaking point. But everyone should know that by now. God put you on a finite planet and told you to "be fruitful and multiply" and I can only imagine he snickered right after that.

Quote:
You know that if we in the west Made it far more difficult for the Chinese to dump their products here they would have to turn to their own domestic market as the primary engine of the economy. That is what will benefit the people, not making and selling to the west and paying slave wages to the workers for it.
Life has its own checks and balances and so does the universe and they both require a return back to the equilibrium.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-31-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies