Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 PM

487 posts, read 382,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't just blame the Tea Bags, evil. I also blame Bush.
Yes, Bush is responsible for everything evil that has ever happened in the history of the world. Remember that one time when Bush found a time machine and accidently brought about the fall of the Roman Empire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Do you think this was a political move?

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Absolute rubbish. I am no Tea Party fan, but they were right. The downgrade happened because the debt reduction deal was smoke and mirrors. our deficit is equal to our GDP, that ain't the Tea Party's fault. The time to cut entitlements is now!
and DOD.

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Roy, I suggest YOU ignore my posts since I don't respond much to folks who prefer one-way communication.
You just contradicted yourself; considering that what he said was about right. I think you prefer one way conversations where everyone agrees with you and slaps your rep button.

The people in here trying to make this downgrade a partisan reaction either don't understand what just happened, or don't really care.

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
S&P now makes decisions based on their crystal balls? Point is, we are not defaulting.
This coming from the agency that gave the green light to invest in mortgage securities that included sub-prime loans? Yeah, ok...whatever.

We have Moodys and Fitch. S&P can go take a hike.
You do realize that is idiotic? All the Credit agencies did that... and all of them said the US gov needed to cut 4 Trillion... it didn't happen... only ONE thing can happen at this point.... if Moody's and Fitch doesn't downgrade, that can only mean one thing... Big Business and Big Government... if so, THEY need to be dismantled because THEY are the problem...

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's nice. Had nothing to do with the downgrade, but it's nice anyway. S&P doesn't care about tea partiers or liberals. They wanted 4 Trillion in cuts. Dems & Reps said no. S&P delivered on its promise. End of story.
S&P for President 2012

Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Google Article V convention .. States can indeed call a Constitutional Convention
I am sorry but the Constitution reads that Congress can call such a convention with a 2/3 vote in both houses or they can call it when 2/3 of the states request it of them. States just can't call that convention without involving the Congress. Read the words in Article V and try to see what they say.

States cannot call a convention only request that Congress do it. I certainly hope nothing so foolish happens but I guess if we have enough people who know so little about the Constitutional Period as many here do it might happen.

Do you know what the original Convention was called by the Congress to do? Do you know what the first thing they decided to do was? You need to study up on that period to see why I fear something like that.

Oh well, the convention was called by the Congress under the Articles of Convention to consider amendments to the Articles. The first decision those framers made was to write an entirely new Constitution and off they went.

If we call a convention like that one and certain people I can think of get to be in the group, we are in for a world of hurt and the new Constitution will read like George Soros wants it to. I sure hope I am wrong but don't think so. We must wait till things cool down a bit before attempting to change.

What was the one thing that the Tea Party wanted most? Why an amendment calling for a balanced budget and look what has happened to them for trying for that one.

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do you think this was a political move?
No... I think its an idiot move... He thought he was the King of the world, come to find out, he was just stupid....

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
What is with the GOP mantra that the balanced budget must only include cutting spending?

Even the Republican Senators know that there are tax loopholes and subsidies that exist for companies that are making record profits.

Well the other shoe just dropped!

The ratings agencies were largely ignored when they were appearing everywhere and telling interviewers that they were looking for major cuts to spending ALONG with additional revenue growth in the form of closing tax loopholes and either ending the tax cuts or raising new taxes. they said these things over and over while explaining raising the debt ceiling without those other things would simply be a signal that Washington wasn't in tune with fiscal reality.
These agencies were also up-front in stating that less than meaningful cuts to spending wouldn't get the job done.
So what do your elected leaders do? Exactly the worse case scenario these agencies said would trigger a rating downgrade!
They've collectively shamed themselves and done you and a significant portion of the worlds countries a major disservice!
An opportunity to shine got frittered away with petty squabbling and childish bickering ruling the day. Pity.

Last edited by BruSan; 08-05-2011 at 07:55 PM..

487 posts, read 382,808 times
Quote:
Who was the one who deflected obvious fact that the previous wars were funded by raising taxes in the past century?

Both presidents are to be blamed for increasing the budget deficit, but the Republicans are hell bent on making sure that Obama gets all the blame.
Remember when I provided a counter argument by asking why we would raise taxes in this economy? But I suppose you didn't understand what I was insinuating.

I couldn't agree with you more... And I hope Obama does receive all the blame 2012!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies