Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I was at work when it happened. On 57th and 6th Ave NYC. When I got a call about a plane hitting a building from my Mom. Then a co-workers rolls in a TV into our office to see the news and then the next plane hits. I try to call my now wife who was supposed to be working in the trade center basement mall at a retail store. I could not reach her all day. We finally spoke hours later and she wasn't there.

The entire NYC went into lock down that day. No trains in or out. Tunnels closed. All motor vehicles were only allowed to exit the city via bridge. Everyone else had to walk, hitch a ride off Manhattan Island. I walked and saw people cramming into the backs of trucks, vans, hanging on to backs of buses like refuge scenes in movies. Walking across the 59th street bridge and looking towards downtown were the towers were hours ago replaced with a column of dust and smoke was an emotionless sight.

A day I'll never forget.

I'm going to add this.

When I got the call that plane1 hit the towers I thought it was just a freak accident and being a NYer I just went on with by business even while on the phone with Mom. When I saw on the TV plane 2 hit along with everyone else I thought something is really going on now. Yet I still went on with my business. I was thinking they find who responsible for this and deal with them.............................................. .....................................It struck home when everyone was watching the towers on fire and rescuers scrambling to lower Manhattan the buildings came down..........................That right there did it for me. I knew this was a much bigger event. Before the buildings came down I told myself that the fire dept will put out the fires, the buildings would be repaired and people would be back to work in them in about a years time. Them coming down, these massive structures really hit my emotions hard.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM

28,937 posts, read 30,297,243 times
Quote:
I'm going to add this.

When I got the call that plane1 hit the towers I thought it was just a freak accident and being a NYer I just went on with by business even while on the phone with Mom. When I saw on the TV plane 2 hit along with everyone else I thought something is really going on now. Yet I still went on with my business. I was thinking they find who responsible for this and deal with them.............................................. .....................................It struck home when everyone was watching the towers on fire and rescuers scrambling to lower Manhattan the buildings came down..........................That right there did it for me. I knew this was a much bigger event. Before the buildings came down I told myself that the fire dept will put out the fires, the buildings would be repaired and people would be back to work in them in about a years time. Them coming down, these massive structures really hit my emotions hard.
yes, I think it tramatized a lot of us...thanks so much for sharing...I still do remember, people running thru all that ash, I just cannot imagine?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,998,480 times
Quote:
I'm going to add this.

I too didn't expect those buildings to come down! I still can't believe that they are gone! I also remember that evening (well about 1AM on 9/12) I was awaken by a helicopter, which because there was no air traffic it seemed even louder. I rushed to the window, and it was a Life Flight copter. Talk about being on edge. My wife who couldn't get through to me on her cell phone due to the lines being jammed was thinking the world was coming to an end. Even myself who was able to watch the news at work until they told us to go home didn't know what was going to happen next. I was thinking the absolute worst!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,409 times
I was driving a bus that day. That day was the end of me driving buses.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I was driving a bus that day. That day was the end of me driving buses.
I can certainly see why. I've flown twice in my life. Once to Florida when I was 2, and once to the Bahamas on my honeymoon in 2000. Haven't flown since, and currently no urge to. I like road trips, and unless I go back to the Bahamas or elsewhere in the Caribbean I'll drive. I won't have to deal with the TSA pat downs either!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I can certainly see why. I've flown twice in my life. Once to Florida when I was 2, and once to the Bahamas on my honeymoon in 2000. Haven't flown since, and currently no urge to. I like road trips, and unless I go back to the Bahamas or elsewhere in the Caribbean I'll drive. I won't have to deal with the TSA pat downs either!
What is coming if we don't stand up for our selves is checking papers when you cross from one state to another. Remember interstate commerce? We we are transporting ourselves and so we are engaged in commercial enterprise Go Figure.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,348 times
I was in the shower and the TV was on in the bedroom.
As I came out in my towel the TV was showing footage of the first plane hitting the building, the 2nd hadn't happened yet.
I sat there on the edge of the bed, dripping, watching this unfold wondering if it was some kind of weird hoax or postulated nightmare scenario in some kind of docu-drama.
I called in to work and asked if we were going in.
They thought I was joking and hadn't heard yet.
I went in to work and we all stayed glued to the internet news sites for developments.

It was surreal.
I have not forgotten.
I want out of their countries and I want Islamists out of ours.
I would like this so called religion of peace banned in the United States as a Terrorist Organization.

If that makes me a bigot, so be it.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
What is coming if we don't stand up for our selves is checking papers when you cross from one state to another. Remember interstate commerce? We we are transporting ourselves and so we are engaged in commercial enterprise Go Figure.

It wouldn't suprise me one bit with the way things are going, but watch out someone is bound to make a "tin foil hat" reference to your post.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It wouldn't suprise me one bit with the way things are going, but watch out someone is bound to make a "tin foil hat" reference to your post.
Perhaps they should take their blinders off instead.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Perhaps they should take their blinders off instead.

Just to be clear, who is they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies