Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
I'm a militantly liberal libertarian and atheist, and have a rather large (30 or so) collection of firearms. Whenever I rub elbows with other gun nuts, they're invariably staunch right wingers, or rabidly anti government conspiracy types (who are still fairly conservative on most issues.)
So my question is - any other liberals out there with a penchant for firearms?

Every male (and many female) member of my family is also both very pro-gun and very liberal. Even still, I never meet many other folks who share my ideology.

So speak up, my gun-toting, liberal brothers and sisters!

It isn't a lib vs. repub thing, when your talking Texas. It is a given.

There are more guns and gun owners in Texas, than the whole US military has.

EDIT: I just noticed how old this thread is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
In Arizona Gun Control has to do with the minimum number one is required to carry, so it doesn't much matter what your politics are

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Im a gun-rights flaming liberal and I dont support the NRA, either.
Its like supporting the Klan for free speech issues.
Ha! Being a flaming liberal and supporting gun rights is like supporting the Klan for free speech issues. The typical liberal stance is typically anti-gun.

Not saying there aren't liberal gun owners, there obviously are...but I've often thought it had to be, at times, intellectually dissonant. I'm tickled there are gun owners of all stripes, though, and I'm old enough to remember when gun ownership didn't fall so strikingly along party lines.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,279 times
Big deal, so you and millions of Americans own guns. So what are ya-all trying to say? That your all ready to defend the Constitution?
Count me in. RWC

Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,485 times
Old thread that needs me! I collect C&R rifles for historical purposes...Even sporterized a few. Gun ownership has turned into a craft for me. I am a tax raising, defense budget cutting, anti-theocratic, abortion loving liberal. Arizona now has a legal conceal carry so I now feel like i need to conceal carry. Does that make sense? Now that any idiot without a felony can conceal in bar... at a concert and so on. I feel that situations will get out of hand on a much larger scale. The ratio of disputes that end in one party making a poor decision is staggering. Couple that with a ratio of those who conceal carry... you guys see where im going? great thread! im with ya boys!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 711 times
I am a recovering-republican-turned-liberal and concealed carrier with permit and a full safe of guns. There is no conflict there. If you consider yourself liberal or conservative and have to put a checkmark in every box of your "teams" political talking points you're simply letting someone else think for you IMHO.

I am also anti-NRA because of how the NRA helps people who definitely should not have a permit carry. I had a guy in one class who couldn't load his own gun and turned a loaded gun towards the rest of the class three times with his finger on the trigger. He now has a permit to endanger thanks to the NRA's support of lax training.

I am for small government, but that means a non-authoritarian government that doesn't stick its nose into things like what people do in bed and it doesn't try to extend its legal domain to my wife's body. That used to be compatible with the republican party until they became sack-mates with religious extremists who want the government to control society and who want to promote xenophobia for political gain.

So just call me a fiscally-conservative, socially liberal citizen with a cocked-and-locked 1911.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
OP - I was just trying to start a blog using a variant on "Armed Liberal" as the title. I was plesantly surprised to fing that many variations have already been taken. Like many I am opposed to big government messing with what and with whom I do in my bedroom and trying to restrict my right to defend my family, friends and self with firearms if necessary. I support government that causes polluters to internalize costs, prevents exploitation of Parks and Wilderness Areas, and attempts to restore a Free market Capitalism through effective regulation and enforcement of the anti fraud laws.

I also support liberal causes like real equal opportunity for all and believe in "Liberty and Justice" for all as the Pledge of Alligence States.

Although I am annoyed with the NRA's support for political candidates the will rais attempt to determine what is sexually acceptable between consenting adults as well as put wonem back into patriarchial slavery, I still remain a member because they are effective advocates for the open access to firearms by non criminal and sane people.

See. There are people that believe in the right to be Armed as well as the right to not be robbed by the monopolists of the world.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
I'll gladly speak up. I'm very pro-gun, and a gun owner myself, but not conservative. I quit the NRA for this very reason, to me it just seemed like an extension of the Republican party.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
So you find it odd that someone would not like a group that defends one of teh Bill of Rights?
The NRA is lead by a group of pimps and charlatans who live high off the hog stoking the silly paranoia of guys with small pee, pees.

Signed, a totally left liberal concealed carrying gun nut.

"If you outlawed guns only right wing reactionaries and white supremacist would have them."

Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - I was just trying to start a blog using a variant on "Armed Liberal" as the title. I was plesantly surprised to fing that many variations have already been taken. Like many I am opposed to big government messing with what and with whom I do in my bedroom and trying to restrict my right to defend my family, friends and self with firearms if necessary. I support government that causes polluters to internalize costs, prevents exploitation of Parks and Wilderness Areas, and attempts to restore a Free market Capitalism through effective regulation and enforcement of the anti fraud laws.

I also support liberal causes like real equal opportunity for all and believe in "Liberty and Justice" for all as the Pledge of Alligence States.

Although I am annoyed with the NRA's support for political candidates the will rais attempt to determine what is sexually acceptable between consenting adults as well as put wonem back into patriarchial slavery, I still remain a member because they are effective advocates for the open access to firearms by non criminal and sane people.

See. There are people that believe in the right to be Armed as well as the right to not be robbed by the monopolists of the world.
I believe in all that too Greg, but didn't you ever get the impression that if you weren't supportive of the canidates they endorse then you're not for gun rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies