Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM

62 posts, read 121,067 times

Advertisements

Everyone I've met, listened to on TV, or read about on the internet who identifies as a fiscal conservative is also anti-abortion and gay marriage, and is usually a staunch Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Fiscal conservative here...very, very socially progressive.

There is a whole state with such politics...perhaps you've gambled in that state's most renown city? The state is called Nevada.

Nevadans tend to hate taxes, but as the saying goes, "don't much care" about what other people do in their spare time (so long as it doesn't impact them).

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Lots of people are. Unfortunately not too many of them are politicians.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Ron Paul's ideology of personal freedom and responsibility isn't good enough for you?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Everyone I've met, listened to, or read about who identifies as a fiscal conservative is also anti-abortion and gay marriage, and is usually a staunch Christian.
To answer your question - No. If they are not socially conservative, then they cannot be fiscally conservative. It would be a contradiction to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. To be socially liberal is to be fiscally irresponsible.

You are also making an overly broad generalization about social conservatives. For example, I am a fiscal and social conservative that is not anti-abortion, opposed to same-sex marriage, or even Christian. However, that does not mean I want my government involved in any of those areas.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Everyone I've met, listened to on TV, or read about on the internet who identifies as a fiscal conservative is also anti-abortion and gay marriage, and is usually a staunch Christian.
Me.

I do not care what people do as long as it does not harm others in the process.

I was a human shield during the Alabama abortion clinic bombings.

Is that enough for ya???

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
Ron Paul is one candidate who believes in economic and social freedom. Neo-cons don't like him however because he doesn't believe in spending trillions of dollars in oversea bases and wars to defend the US against the Muslim threat. Ron Paul thinks we should spend enough on the military to prevent anyone from attacking the country but stop the constant military engagements/wars. He is a non-interventionist in foreign policy which the mainstream Republicans hate.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
To answer your question - No. If they are not socially conservative, then they cannot be fiscally conservative. It would be a contradiction to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. To be socially liberal is to be fiscally irresponsible.

You are also making an overly broad generalization about social conservatives. For example, I am a fiscal and social conservative that is not anti-abortion, opposed to same-sex marriage, or even Christian. However, that does not mean I want my government involved in any of those areas.
Sorry, you are wrong. I don't know how you have come to such a conclusion. I'm socially liberal but very fiscally responsible.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Me. I will not even vote for a candidate who deficit finances their political campaign. The government has no business interfering in family or medical matters.
I'm am also beginning to question the concept of marriage as it pertains to government subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies