Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Incorrect, I don't have a problem with being forced to buy the insurance. I have a problem with with being forced to pay the extortion prices the fat cat insurance companies charge. The point is the cost I'm paying is not to drive on public roads. The charge I'm being forced to pay is to make the fat cat insurance companies richer. Its easy money for them.

I go into a store to buy something. I give them my money and they have to give me something a value in return. But not the insurance companies. They are just like panhandlers on the street. They take my many and put it in their pockets.
I suppose I'll have to come out and be the a-hole in this situation... That insurance money you pay is more than likely going to people like me. I have a genetic disorder that I was born with and between my medication, tests and general care it costs the insurance company around $ 300,000 to keep me alive year after year.

And yes, I feel guilty and people have no qualms about telling me that I'm a parasite. Of course, I get to live with horrible fatigue and bone pain, plus the constant fear of losing my job and my health insurance. Health insurance has kept me alive all these years, but it definitely needs to be revamped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I suppose I'll have to come out and be the a-hole in this situation... That insurance money you pay is more than likely going to people like me. I have a genetic disorder that I was born with and between my medication, tests and general care it costs the insurance company around $ 300,000 to keep me alive year after year.

And yes, I feel guilty and people have no qualms about telling me that I'm a parasite. Of course, I get to live with horrible fatigue and bone pain, plus the constant fear of losing my job and my health insurance. Health insurance has kept me alive all these years, but it definitely needs to be revamped.
I don't know why you would feel guilty. Thats the system that Americans have chosen. You aren't taking any money away from me. As I already said, I've never had health insurance in my life. The few times I have something seriously wrong that I needed to see a Doctor about, I just walked into the nearest ER. Tell them my problem. They ask me if if I have insurance. I tell them, no. They ask me I have money to pay. I usually tell them, no. They tell me to take a seat, and a Doctor will see me in a few minutes. I don't feel guilty at all. I just deal with the system the way it is. If people finally decide they want to be socially responsible and set up a decent health care system in the country, I'll be happy to work with that system.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The point is he is not happy with being forced to buy auto liability insurance by a government entity. Which is actually much more justifiable than health insurance. If you drive on public roads you have to expect to pay a cost for it. Yet, he favors people being forced to pay for healthcare.

I have a problem with being forced to buy auto liability insurance when the insurance system is unfair.

Auto insurance discounts for owning a home? If that's not unfair and regressive, I don't know what is.

I'm certainly willing to pay up if I cause property damage, but I have a problem with being forced to buy insurance which redistributes my income upward to homeowners.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I vote for option B. By what right does anyone have the right to say that someone else should be forced to pay for their health care. Maybe if the slackers in our country were told that they got no health care unless they can pay for it, things would get better. The reality is that if they don't change the system, things will continue to get worse. Same should go for food stamps and all the other welfare programs.

Another reality is that Americans who work and are uninsured are subsidizing the employed insured through the tax code, because Americans who get their insurance from their employer are getting compensation on which they are not paying tax. (Where are the Tea Party people when I need them?)

Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM

27,157 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
None of the above.

There should be a minimum standard of care to which all Americans are entitled. Anything beyond that standard should be available to anyone who can pay for it.

I agree.

Besides, that anyone "deserves" anything at all is a shaky concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies