Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times

Advertisements

I was wondering...

why are you people so angry with environmentalists and what are your personal reasons to be against protecting environment?

NOW, THIS IS NOT A THREAD WHETHER OR NOT GLOBAL WARMING EXISTS!

I ask everyone please, do not feed the trolls if any will come!

My question is why do some people take this side or the other?
Just curious.

Here is my reasons:

I like to breath fresh air. I think cities that pollute air less have more sunny days. I like to ride my bike and to be fit. I hate the amount of huge SUVs on the roads, that take a lot of space and polute a lot of air.

I like travel to places and see wilderness. I lik to bird watch. I am upset to see that more and more wild spieces dissapear from earth.

I want to know that the water I drink is not polluted.
I am upset to see to many natural catastrophs, like hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires , floods... that occure recently.

I like hiking and seeing beautiful places. I am upset to know that mountain tops are being cut (to mine coal, granit etc).

I like diving and snorkelling. I am upset that beauful marine life is being destroyed when the water is polluted. That corals die because of hotel development and boats. that fish die because corals die, and because plastic stuff and other dirt gets to the sea.

I am upset to see so much precious land on the planet is devoted to garbage fields.

What are your reasons to support one side or another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
1. what people are you talking about?

2. You should be happy with all the natural disasters. They are part of the earth protecting and renewing its environment.

3.You do realize that the computer or smart phone you are posting from and the subsequent technology that it takes to make that happen is destroying the environment? Just to you are not under any delusions.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times
Please tell me what your reasons to stand on one side or another are. Do not tell anyone how to feel or think. Do not turn this thread into another boring stupid troll battle.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I was wondering...

why are you people so angry with environmentalists and what are your personal reasons to be against protecting environment?

Just curious.

Here is my reasons:

I like to breath fresh air. I think cities that pollute air less have more sunny days. I like to ride my bike and to be fit. I hate the amount of huge SUVs on the roads, that take a lot of space and polute a lot of air.

I like travel to places and see wilderness. I lik to bird watch. I am upset to see that more and more wild spieces dissapear from earth.

I am upset to see to many natural catastrophs, like hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires , floods... that occure recently.

I like hiking and seeing beautiful places. I am upset to know that mountain tops are being cut (to mine coal, granit etc).

I like diving and snorkelling. I am upset that beauful marine life is being destroyed when the water is polluted. That corals die because of hotel development and boats. that fish die because corals die, and because plastic stuff and other dirt gets to the sea.

I am upset to see so much precious land on the planet is devoted to garbage fields.

As a general statement, I think conservatives tend to hunt, fish, and practice other outdoor activities on a bigger scale than liberals. Do you honestly think we don't want to protect the environment? I certainly don't want that fish I catch to be loaded with mercury.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
I was wondering...

Just curious.

Here is my reasons:

I don't think that many people disagree with you. In fact, I think the whole global warming topic does a disservice to the points you mention by serving as a red herring. I also think that some of the environmental groups take extreme positions and damage the "name" of environmentalism. As Calvinist pointed out, I know many conservative people that work hard to protect the environment out of respect and love for it, but get annoyed by the political groups.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Please tell me what your reasons to stand on one side or another are. Do not tell anyone how to feel or think. Do not turn this thread into another boring stupid troll battle.
Why does there have to be sides? It is a fallacious attempt to force someone into a position that you can either accept (because it is your side) or dismiss (because it the side you have created as wrong).

Many people want a clean environment. We don't like the trash, the pollution, etc... We don't want things being destroyed and the like, but where we differ is how we attend to those problems and the solutions implemented.

Some of the solutions made by those who "claim", yes I say claim because I have worked with numerous "environmentalists" in my youth that were more destructive to the environment with their solutions than those they claimed to be saving from.

The problem is acting on emotion and good intentions while implementing solutions that are out of touch with reality and practicality.

These your side/my side arguments a garbage which only serve to categorize people for the benefit of the one making the assessment.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think that many people disagree with you. In fact, I think the whole global warming topic does a disservice to the points you mention by serving as a red herring. I also think that some of the environmental groups take extreme positions and damage the "name" of environmentalism. As Calvinist pointed out, I know many conservative people that work hard to protect the environment out of respect and love for it, but get annoyed by the political groups.
Yep, heck I am strongly against many of the environmentalists out there (due to their intrusive and often stupidly thought out solutions), but I want a clean environment. One time, I lived next to a park. I noticed there was trash all over and around it. So, on the weekends, I would go for a walk with a poker and bag and pick up trash for a little exercise. I didn't condemn people for not helping me or go on about how everyone hates the environment. I just did what I wanted to do because it affected me in my environment. If more people would just shut the hell up and do something along those lines, we would have a lot less issues.

What is ridiculous, is that an environmental group often came to the park to meet on weekends. not once did they do any clean up, and many mind boggling so left trash after the meet. So I don't really care for all of these stupid gimmicky groups claiming they have any concern for anything other than for others to see how much they claim they have concern.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
I was wondering...

Those are two different things.

I think most people want to protect the environment - within reason. People also need to make a living. People like advancement. There can be give and take between the two.

Environmentalists often get out of control and impractical with their demands.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
I was wondering...

Just curious.

Here is my reasons:

I think you have it wrong.

I have some friends who are Green fanatics. They are generally good people and have an honest and romantic- romantic in the old sense of the word- love for the outdoors. And they want to eat healthier.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

But...they own a conventional car, wear leather, and use washing machines and other apparati. The "need" to do so, they say. The end result is they set their own standards and damn everyone else. The raise the bar high enough for them to pass comfortably.

They moved to the mountains and boast, with much justification, of the lovely woods where they reside. Do they stop to think their house is itself akin to modern disruption of their beloved forest? Its isolated, so long drives to work, stores, and everywhere. No public transportation.

Get the idea?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
I was wondering...

Just curious.

Here is my reasons:

I appreciate the tone of honest inquiry in your original post.

I like most of the things that you like, and am concerned about most of the same things that you are concerned about. I thank environmentalists for pushing The Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act, which have dramatically improved the environment. Our rivers do not catch on fire anymore, and smog has been drastically reduced.

However, current initiatives to make more improvements have costs: lost jobs, lost capital, lower incomes, higher expenses. A cleaner environment would improve national health, but increased poverty and reduced wealth would cause a deterioration in health.

So the EPA's expansion of the Clean Air Act, which will shut down 20% of our electrical generating capacity, 10% of our cement plants, and untold other industrial and manufacturing concerns, while driving up the cost of energy, is too much. IN the case of cement, we'll lose the capital investment and the jobs, then import the shortfall in production from countries that care less about the environment. So the environmentalists will give us a triple loss.

The propozed ozone regs, which the EPA ought to defer until their own scientific study is complete, take all these issues a step further.

So it boils down to costs and benefits. You could distill our tap water and virtually eliminate all impurities, but the water bills would be so high we would not be able to afford food. That would not be too good for our health. Balance, moderation, middle of the road approaches make more sense than the war on the economy being waged by some in the administration and some in the environmentalist camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies