Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
You're missing the point. The first post explains it.
So the point is to ask what people think the punishment should be, regardless of what it actually is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
You know, it's not my choice, it's hers. Do I want a say, yeah, if it's mine. But if not, it's her choice.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think there's a provision in the Constitution against cruel and unusual punishment. What's the point in watching abortions? Would you like to see that woman writhing in guilt? Would you like to see her, because of guilt, commit suicide? Would you be satisfied then?
You have two people convicted for murder. One has to watch 100 abortions, the other gets put away for 10 years. That doesn't sound like equal justice. Why don't you think it should be the other way around?

Only 10 years for the doctor? For murder? That may set a precedent, why should anyone who is convicted of murder serve more than 10 years? For the same crime of murder some people are sent to prison for 40, 50 or more years. Only 10 years for the doctor for committing the same crime of murder seems unjust to those who have been sitting in cells for decades.
And if the doctor was sent to prison for 10 years, do you think he should have his license to practice medicine revoked permanently, or just for the 10 years?
If abortion is so right why would someone have guilt or commit suicide? You are not advocating a practice so horrendous that you yourself know to be so wrong it can result in massive guilt and suicide are you? Case.........closed.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
If abortion is so right why would someone have guilt or commit suicide? You are not advocating a practice so horrendous that you yourself know to be so wrong it can result in massive guilt and suicide are you? Case.........closed.
No, Citigirl. Life isn't that simple and straight-forward.

Sorry.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Sure it is, but acknowledging that many women suffer greatly from the decision to abort their baby would put a kink in the program that abortion is no big deal. The focus must always be on getting rid of the baby and not the mental health of the young teen or woman.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I read an article in one of the national magazines last week that asked an interesting question:

Assume that abortion is outlawed tomorrow.

To those who support the outlawing of abortions because it's murder, what punishment should American women who get an abortion in this country or another receive after the act of receiving or aiding in receiving an abortion is made criminal?

If you believe that abortion is the same as killing a born baby (murder), then one would assume that they should get the same punishment, such as life imprisonment or the death penalty for getting an abortion.

Same thing if they run off to Canada to get an abortion. Killing your unborn baby there is still murder, no?

So, what punishment SHOULD women get? If they don't get as much as a person who kills an already-born human, wouldn't that necessarily mean that you don't think the unborn child is "worth" as much as an after-born child?
I haven't reflected on this much, but I personally think the doctor should be the one primarily held responsible. I would suggest a sentence equal to any other murder for him (or her). As for the mother, a lot of psychological and emotional questions come into play, so I'm very much unsure there - perhaps some kind of a child abuse sort of charge. As for the Canadian thing, how is the U.S. supposed to know?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
The irony of it all...

... Hear so much from the conservatives on how people have to take personal responsibility, no free rides from the gov't, no hand outs, etc....

Personally... I am glad if a young girl or young couple, or even parents of a youngster, is/are willing to understand they cannot handle the financial responsibility of a child, the pregnancy term, or birth of the child. This means that many fewer young mothers riding on welfare, food stamps, etc.

Everyone has seen the statistics of how many young mothers just can't give up their child to adoption. We hear about young mothers changing their mind and winning the child back in court. Then there are the complications of family... so many family members won't accept a member giving the child up despite the inability to support said child by the parent. My family is a prime example of this; I have a couple cousins who absolutely should not have the kids they brought into the world, but it certainly is not acceptable to give those children up. Unfortunate for the child.

It is a private decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. Yeah, there are women who will feel no remorse, no guilt, not regret. Whatever - they will meet their maker and explain their own actions, who are we to judge them before that time comes? And, as it was already suggested... would you really want them to be mothers if they are that disconnected so early on?

Accidents happen, protection fails, and conception takes place. There are some things that just can't be avoided no matter how many precautions are taken. And then there are the incest / rape / medical emergency situations. I do not believe an abortion should be substituted for "birth control" - and fact is, that can't possibly be a reasonable explanation as it is significantly more costly and I would assume more painful and dangerous than any true form of BC out there. Sure... you can preach no sex, wait til your married, etc... but we all know realistically that won't happen.

My question to pro-life........ If an abortion that is decided upon by someone you do not know, do not have any relationship with, do not even see in passing.... what does it matter to you? That decision will not affect you, will not change your life, nor will it impact your life - aside from your disagreement with it. Why spend so much energy advocating what someone else does with their body when it ultimately doesn't have anything to do with you? --- If this same amount of energy, time and money was spent other ways, such as good education on the cost and responsibility of a child, fiscal responsibility, etc, there may be the potential to prevent abortion situations from even occuring. As pointed out... how different is this from capital punishment? Is that not also "legal murder?" The only difference is... no chance of a young child being abused, subjected to molestation, subjected to neglect, subjected to unhealthy living conditions, or being shipped off to foster care all the while having tax payers pay the bill.
Sorry, it is not what someone else does with THEIR body. It is not deciding to have a leg or arm removed,that would be THEIR body. It is deciding if someone else lives or dies. And if that is not a baby,as some say,it means the woman is not pregnant, if she is not pregnant, why have an abortion? Every pregnant woman IS pregnant with a child. We can deny it all day long, but it does not change the truth, it is a life. That is a personal choice, for sure.What I do not understand is why some, not all, do not admit that it is a human life . Well, if a woman decides not to have an abortion she will delivery a baby, no surprises in the delivery room. Always a baby is born, not a chair or a suitcase or a flower vase is born. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a baby.What does it matter to me? I feel sad for the mother and her child, I admit it it is her choice, but I'll never agree that a life was not taken , and I will never agree , ever, the choice she is making is regarding HER body , it is regarding someone else's life.Get rid of a life so we can have our financial situations better served? The country better served?True, very true it is a personal, private choice, with personal consequences, we should not be fooling ourselves, pretending that innocent blood goes umpunished, and no one will ever be held accountable before God for other's decision, But no one ever will be able to say before the Almighty, "I did not know it was a baby, or a crime, nobody told me" . Nosy pro-life won't be acused before God of not alerting people,neither is tinted with innocent blood. I agree 100% that not all situations are the best for the coming of a child ,sure accidents happen, sure it can be an emotional and financial burden. It has to have a better way out then murder. Sorry baby, you die so I can live better, it is your life but it is my choice. GOD HAVE MERCI ON US .

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymember View Post
Sorry, it is not what someone else does with THEIR body. It is not deciding to have a leg or arm removed,that would be THEIR body. It is deciding if someone else lives or dies. And if that is not a baby,as some say,it means the woman is not pregnant, if she is not pregnant, why have an abortion? Every pregnant woman IS pregnant with a child. We can deny it all day long, but it does not change the truth, it is a life. That is a personal choice, for sure.What I do not understand is why some, not all, do not admit that it is a human life . Well, if a woman decides not to have an abortion she will delivery a baby, no surprises in the delivery room. Always a baby is born, not a chair or a suitcase or a flower vase is born. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a baby.What does it matter to me? I feel sad for the mother and her child, I admit it it is her choice, but I'll never agree that a life was not taken , and I will never agree , ever, the choice she is making is regarding HER body , it is regarding someone else's life.Get rid of a life so we can have our financial situations better served? The country better served?True, very true it is a personal, private choice, with personal consequences, we should not be fooling ourselves, pretending that innocent blood goes umpunished, and no one will ever be held accountable before God for other's decision, But no one ever will be able to say before the Almighty, "I did not know it was a baby, or a crime, nobody told me" . Nosy pro-life won't be acused before God of not alerting people,neither is tinted with innocent blood. I agree 100% that not all situations are the best for the coming of a child ,sure accidents happen, sure it can be an emotional and financial burden. It has to have a better way out then murder. Sorry baby, you die so I can live better, it is your life but it is my choice. GOD HAVE MERCI ON US .
It is their body and their child, not anybody elses. If that was the case you and everybody else should be responsible for taking care of that child if it is not the mothers. Do you adopt other people's kids who cannot take care of them?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
It is their body and their child, not anybody elses. If that was the case you and everybody else should be responsible for taking care of that child if it is not the mothers. Do you adopt other people's kids who cannot take care of them?
So throwing a baby in a dumpster right after it is born should be a mother's choice too?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I have noticed that people cannot separate their religious beliefs from this issue - I fear that many are forgetting that we live in America, a nation that was created to escape the religious persecution suffered in the old country. No one is telling anyone they have to pray to a certain God, or that they cannot pray to their God - you make your choice, just like everyone else.

You cannot force your beliefs and system of values onto others though. Many people who get abortions don't even believe in God, so why do you assume that they are morally guilt-ridden and fearful of a judgment day that they don't even believe is coming? Just because YOU believe, doesn't mean EVERYONE has to. Each time someone brings their brand of spirituality into a debate like this they lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. It takes a small mind for someone to think that their personal beliefs must be applied to the entire population.

And I am forever fascinated by the fact that people who turn red with anger and indignation about women's freedom of choice in abortion are the same folks who think there is nothing wrong with capital punishment. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies