Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Israel-Palestine solution poll
Create a Palestinian State with Jerusalem as part of it 18 15.79%
Create a Palestinian State minus Jerusalem 37 32.46%
Create a Palestinian State with some form of common jurisdiction over Jerusalem 36 31.58%
No Palestinian State, I support the status quo 23 20.18%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you're being called something "way too often," there's a good chance you fit the label... right?
No, and what an absurd thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The PLO's goal was to establish a Muslim only state in place of Israel.
Wrong again:

The PLO Charter

Point to the words "Muslim", "Islam", or "Allah" in that document.

Quote:
This is what Hamas believes and what the "Palestinian" leadership has always believed. You cannot separate out "Palestinian" from Muslim. Most Palestinians are Muslims. That is what they base their claims to Israeli land on.
Wrong still again. They base it on the fact that they were there and were driven off the land at gunpoint to make room for Jewish immigrants.

Quote:
That's the only reason most Muslims find Israel objectionable. It certainly isn't any sort of glorious human rights crusade as universal principles and such ideals are largely foreign to Islam.
The Palestinian national movement per se does not have a religious character.

Quote:
The Hamas led government is deeply anti-Semitic and deeply Muslim. Do I really have to pull up a source for this argument?
That's one party, which won one election, in one half of the occupied territories, largely because they are seen as less corrupt than the other major party. Whether they will win elections in the future remains to be seen.

Quote:
Yeah everything would just peachy keen if we got rid of Israel.
It certainly would be better for my country!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I don't remember the jews strapping bombs to children or blowing up busses.
Both sides perpetrated numerous massacres in 1948. The Jews had the upper hand for most of the time, so they did more of it.

Quote:
They were given Israel in 1948
No, the British Mandate expired and the British left, and the Jews declared independence and grabbed what they wanted.

Quote:
& took the rest in the 66 war..
The 1967 war.

Quote:
The Palestinians chose to leave, nobody made them leave.
The Deir Yassin massacre of Arabs by Jews was as good as a warning to leave.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is a no-nonsense poll, folks. Israel-Palestine is a very repetitive topic and I'd like to know how we folks divide.

No matter how the power brokers use this situation to suit their ends, public perception outside the region always remains.
I miss the option of doing away with Israel as such and creating a unified, federal Palestine-Israel... In my view this is the only way to solve that settlement mess and make up for the unfair past.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I miss the option of doing away with Israel as such and creating a unified, federal Palestine-Israel... In my view this is the only way to solve that settlement mess and make up for the unfair past.
That is option 4 more or less, with no two state solution that is the only probable result. Support for it is already very high among Israeli Arabs and rising among Palestinians. Once it reaches a tipping point in that there are so many settlements that a 2 state solution is not viable Palestinians, as Olmert says, will likely push for citizenship and voting rights. That will be the point the situation turns into an unwinnable situation for opponents of such a plan, because it is not really possible for a Western Democracy to successfully stop a voting rights movement.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If we were equal in suborning and funding all those occupations and that of Palestine by Israel, I would express equal outrage. I have responsibilities for scrutinizing what my country does that I don't have in regard to any other country.

(The region of Kashmir is occupied by India and China as well as Pakistan. India occupies the largest share.)
We consent to everything that Turkey, China, Pakistan, India and Iraq do by doing nothing. We politely don't bring it up. We don't officially recognize the Armenian Holocaust as a genocide 100% for diplomatic reasons. Especially during the Cold War we felt we needed them to stay in NATO no matter what the cost and no matter what misdeeds had to be overlooked. We diligently remain silent and don't bring up any of Turkey's crimes. Israel isn't part of NATO. Turkey is. I think we should have a right to expect better from them than what we're seeing.

And one important difference between the Turkish occupation of northern Cyprus and Israel: Cyprus has been an independent nation since 1960 and it still is an independent nation. Palestine has never really been an independent nation. It went from outside occupation and rule by Rome, then Arabs, then Turks, then the British. The British handed them the only sovereignty they've ever known by giving them only part of Palestine and giving the other part to the Jews -- the Brits had lied and promised the whole thing to both groups, so I suppose in their minds it was a fair compromise to half keep both promises. Rather than accepting this first-ever independence for even a second, they immediately attacked Israel ... and lost ... badly. So they called for the Arab nations to help and in rushed the combined might of the Arab Muslim world. When the dust cleared, the independent nation of Palestine was completely gone before it ever really got started. What parts Israel hadn't taken were swallowed up by Syria, Jordan and Egypt.

Israel is just one of four outside occupiers since the British left. And Israel is just the next group of many to take over control of Palestine. Palestine has never really been an independent country -- only a part of other nations and empires. The Palestinian question has far more to do with the fact that the current rulers of the land are not Muslim than it has to do with anything else. Re-establishment of the "Independent Nation of Palestine" is just a red herring since no such nation ever really existed. The Middle East Muslims are outraged because a non-Muslim group took one of their toys away from them -- one that they'd "rightfully stolen" centuries earlier from somebody else. They want their toy back!!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We consent to everything that Turkey, China, Pakistan, India and Iraq do by doing nothing. We politely don't bring it up. We don't officially recognize the Armenian Holocaust as a genocide 100% for diplomatic reasons. Especially during the Cold War we felt we needed them to stay in NATO no matter what the cost and no matter what misdeeds had to be overlooked. We diligently remain silent and don't bring up any of Turkey's crimes. Israel isn't part of NATO. Turkey is. I think we should have a right to expect better from them than what we're seeing.

And one important difference between the Turkish occupation of northern Cyprus and Israel: Cyprus has been an independent nation since 1960 and it still is an independent nation. Palestine has never really been an independent nation. It went from outside occupation and rule by Rome, then Arabs, then Turks, then the British. The British handed them the only sovereignty they've ever known by giving them only part of Palestine and giving the other part to the Jews -- the Brits had lied and promised the whole thing to both groups, so I suppose in their minds it was a fair compromise to half keep both promises. Rather than accepting this first-ever independence for even a second, they immediately attacked Israel ... and lost ... badly. So they called for the Arab nations to help and in rushed the combined might of the Arab Muslim world. When the dust cleared, the independent nation of Palestine was completely gone before it ever really got started. What parts Israel hadn't taken were swallowed up by Syria, Jordan and Egypt.
The situation in Cyprus and the situation in Israel are entirely different.

To be fair Cyprus took independence as a consolation prize. Most of the early Cypriot leaders did not want independence they wanted Enosis with Greece, but Britain would not allow that. Turkey attacked and occupied northern Cyprus to prevent that from happening.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
There is no original owner of the land down there, they all have stolen it from others who lived there before them, the early Jews stole it from others as well. They are even proud of it...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Palestinians do not loathe Israel, and they flee to Israel whenever they can because in the Palestinian Territories they are persecuted, tortured and murdered.
BTW Clark...I realize there are two sides to every story, and this is the other one:

Queers Undermining Israeli Terrorism

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Most of the world tends to agree that the prime jeopardy to peace in the region is the state of Israel itself

What an ignorant statement.

If Israel was wiped from the map and replaced with "Palestine" would these conflicts magically not have occurred?

-Iran-Iraq war of the 1980's
-Iraqi invasion of Kuwait
-Current Syrian crackdown on protestors, Hama massacre of 1982
-Lybian civil war
-Iranian violent crackdown on civil unrest
-Lebanon civil war, Muslims vs Christians
-Armenian genocide
-Yemeni civil war
-Algerian civil war

How many exactly was Israel responsible for? The only one in that list that Israel could remotely be associated with is the Lebanese civil war, since they helped one side against the other.

I really hate to extend an anti-semitic metaphor, but Jews have been blamed for ridiculous things in the past which were completely unrelated to them. Blood libel, the black death, control of the world etc. They were even blamed recently for strategically placing sharks off the coast of Egypt to repel tourists.

Anyway these people are living in a dark ages mentality and the existence of Israel as a Jewish country is only a convenient scapegoat for their own miserable failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies