Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Please tell me what your reasons to stand on one side or another are. Do not tell anyone how to feel or think. Do not turn this thread into another boring stupid troll battle.

Sorry

I am not going to let you put me into a box.

YOU opened this thread with an open ended question. I asked you to clarify what people you are talking about.

You asked about sides. From where I stand there are many sides. You clarified your positions by your likes and dislikes. I responded to those.

I am not turning this into a troll battle. You posted up in the Politics and Controversies Forum where Critical Debate is the order of the day. If you want no contentious arguments that is what the Great Debates Forum is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sorry

I am not going to let you put me into a box.

YOU opened this thread with an open ended question. I asked you to clarify what people you are talking about.

You asked about sides. From where I stand there are many sides. You clarified your positions by your likes and dislikes. I responded to those.

I am not turning this into a troll battle. You posted up in the Politics and Controversies Forum where Critical Debate is the order of the day. If you want no contentious arguments that is what the Great Debates Forum is all about.
Sorry if I posted it under the wrong section. My motivation was, that there are already 100 threads for "battles" between people who figuratively speaking "recycle" and people who think it is not worth it, and at least 10 threads like these are active. So, if somebody wants to participate in any of those - they can choose to ignore this thread.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

527 posts, read 467,917 times
THe only people that are against protecting the environment are those that want to be able to pollute without govt. regulations, and those that want to remove those regulations by removing or decimating the EPA in the name of 'business'. I think most common people like the environment and enjoy the benefits of this country's natural wonders. Its the greedy who see they can dump toxins and pollution into the world to preserve their bottom line that are the bad guys in this issue. There are towns in this country that are uninhabitable due to corporations poisoning their towns and paying miniscule damages in return.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
THe only people that are against protecting the environment are those that want to be able to pollute without govt. regulations, and those that want to remove those regulations by removing or decimating the EPA in the name of 'business'. I think most common people like the environment and enjoy the benefits of this country's natural wonders. Its the greedy who see they can dump toxins and pollution into the world to preserve their bottom line that are the bad guys in this issue. There are towns in this country that are uninhabitable due to corporations poisoning their towns and paying miniscule damages in return.
Don't forget the people who don't (or, can't) pay the extra costs of goods and services.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I understand that. That is why I am curious. While ordinary Jos and Bill and Mary and Anny, who do not own any of the oil dividends, and who will not get a penny from the profits of polluting corporations, why do they support them so much?
What are their concerns, fears? Did they saw something scary on the TV? What was it?
Were they indeed personally affected in a bad way by environmentalists? Did anybody actually lost his job because of the environmentalists' regulations? Did somebody lost any profit? Just curious.
Off course I do not expect many sincery answers, but anyways... this is an anonimous forum, so why not.

Last edited by Dressy; 09-01-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressy View Post
i understand that. That is why i am curious. While ordinary joes and bills and mary and anny, who do not own any of the oil dividends, and who will not get a penny from the profits of polluting corporations, why do they support it so much?
jobs!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Generally, the Americans don't really care about the environment. Of course, no one says 'environment be damned', but there is little interest to preserve the environment. Americans think of environmentalists as 'wackos', or commies, or even as anti-American.
Also the US media devotes little attention to environmental issues. So most Americans have little idea of the destruction that occurs daily.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:

Here is my reasons:

I like to breath fresh air. I think cities that pollute air less have more sunny days. I like to ride my bike and to be fit. I hate the amount of huge SUVs on the roads, that take a lot of space and polute a lot of air.

I like travel to places and see wilderness. I lik to bird watch. I am upset to see that more and more wild spieces dissapear from earth.

I want to know that the water I drink is not polluted.
I am upset to see to many natural catastrophs, like hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires , floods... that occure recently.

I like hiking and seeing beautiful places. I am upset to know that mountain tops are being cut (to mine coal, granit etc).

I like diving and snorkelling. I am upset that beauful marine life is being destroyed when the water is polluted. That corals die because of hotel development and boats. that fish die because corals die, and because plastic stuff and other dirt gets to the sea.

I am upset to see so much precious land on the planet is devoted to garbage fields.

What are your reasons to support one side or another?

I'm with you. I think we have a moral obligation to protect our environment.

And that's another reason I think we are so foolish to divert billions of dollars to fighting AGW even if the AGW advocates are correct. Money spent on AGW is money that could have been spent on real environmental problems.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
I understand that. That is why I am curious. While ordinary Joes and Bills and Mary and Anny, who do not own any of the oil dividends, and who will not get a penny from the profits of polluting corporations, why do they support it so much?
They still use petroleum products.

They are at the end of the line, they pay.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
I understand that. That is why I am curious. While ordinary Joes and Bills and Mary and Anny, who do not own any of the oil dividends, and who will not get a penny from the profits of polluting corporations, why do they support it so much?
This is a straw man argument. Having a different opinion on the good/bad of the EPA etc. does not equate to support for polluting the environment.

By the way, many of the ordinary Joes and Bills and Mary and Anny do get money from oil companies through investments. Despite common talking points, it's not only billionaires that benefit when those companies do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies