Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Huh? I posted everything in it's entirety.

Once I posted the whole thought of your truncated quote, it reinforced my original quote. No cherry picking my friend.
No, you only posted one paragraph, not the entire article. And that paragraph just happened to support your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
JCAHO exists to give accreditation to hospitals, not birthing centers.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Infant mortality: Why does America lag behind? - The Week

Despite spending more money then any other country on Earth on healthcare, we are 41st in the world in infant mortality.

Best healthcare in the world, if you can afford it.

Where did that even come in to play?

From your "source":

Quote:
What is causing newborn babies to die?
There are three major culprits: Preterm delivery, asphyxia (lack of oxygen), and infections. Each of these is easily preventable. "Training more midwives and other community health workers could save the lives of many more babies," says Lawn, who works with the nonprofit Save the Children. "We know that solutions as simple as keeping newborns warm, clean, and properly breastfed can keep them alive."
Lawn is an idiot.

But what is Lawn saying? Midwives aren't trained well enough to save the lives of those born under their watch? They don't KNOW that keeping newborns warm, clean and fed are no brainers? Is Lawn referring to midwives that do "home births"?

That's more than pathetic.

What hospital doesn't keep newborns warm, clean and properly fed? BF is not necessary for infants being "properly" nourished. Bring your midwife with you to the hospital...the OB resident on call will take over when midwife can't handle it any longer.

Midwives? They PUSH their own agenda...and really don't like getting shoved aside when their time is up and things aren't working out as "celestially" as they wanted them to.

Community health workers? Who are they? What do they know?

Get your ass to a hospital so the infant can be kept warm, clean and properly fed and monitored - by people who have a clue and will be there 24/7. And 12 hours later, when infant is gasping for breath...

Unfortunately for too many it's all about the mom having the "I am woman, hear me roar" experience, not about the baby. I feel for those kids... it's always going to be about "What a great mom I am b/c I do A, B and C". They can't ever seem to remove themselves from the fact that they ain't the only girls in the world to give birth - let alone get over it and move on.

Quote:
Funny how those who scream about abortions and babies being killed don't want to fork out the money to make sure they live past birth.
Funny how you went from your point "A" to something else that has nothing to do with your original few sentences of your OP. Apples and oranges - to the topic YOU brought up.

Last edited by Informed Info; 09-01-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
No, you only posted one paragraph, not the entire article.
Huh? Are you suggesting posting quotes from articles is cherry picking? You clearly do not understand what cherry picking means. Please feel free to post a quote from the article that undermines my point.

And of course posting the entire article is against the TOS.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
We can quote all the statistics we want and argue about them all we want. As the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

In reality, we have a pretty good health care system. The problem is that we pay twice as much as other developed countries for a broadly equivalent outcome.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We can quote all the statistics we want and argue about them all we want. As the saying goes, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

In reality, we have a pretty good health care system. The problem is that we twice as much as other developed countries for a broadly equivalent outcome.
I think you left out a word and I think that word is spend. I agree, as with education, there is little correlation between money spent and outcomes.

By the way, I would be happy to view any facts that undermine anything I have presented. No one has yet done so.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are trying to be deliberately misleading or you simply don't understand their point. The piece was replete with non healthcare reasons for infant mortality. The part you bolded reinforces their point. To paraphrase, infant mortality is due to many more factors than healthcare.
That is why the health system does not perform. It is not structured to deliver the product to the reality as well as other options would...and it costs way too much for poor outcome.

Needs fixing.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
JCAHO exists to give accreditation to hospitals, not birthing centers.
Read the link. 99% of US babies are born in hospitals. It's in there.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
I think you left out a word and I think that word is spend. I agree, as with education, there is little correlation between money spent andoutcoes.

By the way, I would be happy to view any facts that undermine anything I have presented. No one has yet done so.
In your view I am sure that is true. However you have actually presented nothing that contradicts the basic facts. The US spends outrageous sums on health care and gets a weak outcome.

But I did love that analysis.. It is really nice to see a tech guy write something that complex and readable.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is why the health system does not perform. It is not structured to deliver the product to the reality as well as other options would...and it costs way too much for poor outcome.

Needs fixing.
Of course, outcomes are not poor. But I do agree we spend too much, and that is because a third party pays for virtually all healthcare. If folks had to pay for healthcare from their own pockets you would see costs drop like a stone. As things stand now their is no incentive for consumers to use healthcare rationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies