Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I think it is stupid for any race to call themselves african-american .You are either an american or african your not both.I have no trouble with brining back the term colored.
So, why do you people have no problem with someone being Asian-American?

A person whose origins are Asian and their nationality is American. Its not that hard to comprehend. So yes, you can be both. Oh and try calling me "colored" and I will have a little "something" for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM

146 posts, read 89,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
It seems its a waste of time to point out facts to the likes of Odannyboy and Meson and other liberals. THey know it was taken out of context. Ive posted the link to an article/video/transcript of what was exactly said. They have no excuses.

So they know they are wrong, but yet they continue to post the same regurgitated BS over and over. I already knew Meson was basically pointless to acknowledge on this forum, and it seems Odannyboy is as well. Consider them lost souls at this point. Ill ignore both from here on out as they really are nothing but a waste of time.
I've found there is a certain group here that simply wants to troll and trying to have a conversation about issues with them is pointless. They attack you personally, the mods seem to allow it in contravention to their own rules, and the only action that makes sense to me is to exercise the ability to put this group on ignore and try to have discussions with people who don't behave that way.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
America is a land of immigrants. Only whites want to do away with hyphens because they rule this country, and a hyphen (Native-American, African-American) serves to remind them of their deadly past.

I'm all for hyphens, lest we forget.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
I've found there is a certain group here that simply wants to troll and trying to have a conversation about issues with them is pointless. They attack you personally, the mods seem to allow it in contravention to their own rules, and the only action that makes sense to me is to exercise the ability to put this group on ignore and try to have discussions with people who don't behave that way.
I agree 100%, and am always expanding my ignore list.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
America is a land of immigrants. Only whites want to do away with hyphens because they rule this country, and a hyphen (Native-American, African-American) serves to remind them of their deadly past.

I'm all for hyphens, lest we forget.
People who use hyphens to identify themselves are separatists. They don't want to conform to the whole, they want to be seen as and treated differently. But complain like a 2 year old when they are seen that way.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
People who use hyphens to identify themselves are separatists. They don't want to conform to the whole, they want to be seen as and treated differently. But complain like a 2 year old when they are seen that way.
I don't believe that is true, they are remembering their origins. It is important to them where they came from, and what they have had to endure to have something after the hyphen called "American"

I think many whites would rather we ignore the history of this land, and that is not fair to those who suffered and fought for the freedoms they have today. Believe it or not, it was not the U.S. military that fought for the freedoms many have today, it was also something called a Civil Rights movement, fought by people of all races for equality not based on ones color.

And it started before the Civil War.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Native-Americans, Asian-Americans, German-Americans, African-Americans, Latin-Americans, Swedish-Americans, Greek-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Vietnamese-Americans, Mexican-Americans, etc.....what is wrong with being an American who acknowledges the culture/ethnicity/heritage/traditionas from which they have come? It is this diversity which makes us great.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM

146 posts, read 89,220 times
The problem with hyphenated Americans is they put their hyphenated heritage first which makes one think you're less interested in being an American first.

Maybe if we reversed the order of which comes first we wouldn't find ourselves so divided as a people.

I'm an American. I have English, French, German, Russian, and other bloodlines and I'm Jewish too. Should I hyphenate all of that to divide myself from my fellow countrymen? Sorry, but it's a loser's game and I'm not playing. I honor my heritage without needing to label it.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-cal View Post
The problem with hyphenated Americans is they put their hyphenated heritage first which makes one think you're less interested in being an American first.

Maybe if we reversed the order of which comes first we wouldn't find ourselves so divided as a people.

I'm an American. I have English, French, German, Russian, and other bloodlines and I'm Jewish too. Should I hyphenate all of that to divide myself from my fellow countrymen? Sorry, but it's a loser's game and I'm not playing. I honor my heritage without needing to label it.
No, we do not. That is YOUR belief. I am an American of African, Asian and European descent. Stating that I am an African American does not diminsh my love of country, my patriotism, my loyalty to my nation. It is your personal choice whether or not you decide to hypenate same as it is mine.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
I consider myself a Canadian-American, not an American-Canadian, even though I was born in Texas...

BUT I tell people I'm Canadian without mentioning American as a rule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies