Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your recollection of Linda Tripp's involvement is wrong. Remember all this happened before the Internet as it is today. and when CNN (the Clinton News Newtwork) and the rest of the MSM at the time was unchallenged.

The media was in the hip pocket of the Clinton's and many times distorted the facts to suit their agendas.

Show me where I'm wrong, and I'll be glad to agree with you.

The internet was not what it is now, for sure, but it was flourishing back then, and becoming the major breaking news source. It all hit the net first, days before the MSM picked up on it.

And by no means was the MSM going unchallenged. The net reportage covered the entire spectrum from challenge to support, just as it does today.

Only Limbaugh thought the media was in Clinton's hip pocket, and he was completely deaf at that time from dropping massive quantities of oxycontin. Back then, his rants were nothing but drugged-out paranoia. Remember that Rush went to rehab in the middle of the proceedings? I do. And when he came back on the air, he wouldn't touch any of it with a 10 foot pole.

Tripp not only blew the whistle, she was the only one who profited from it. Check the facts. She was not fired by anyone from the Clinton administration- in fact, she was promoted to a higher pay grade. Bush #1 fired her, and she successfully sued. She ended up with about $850,000 or so for her gossip.

I am not condoning any of them. It was atrocious behavior, and there was more than plenty of it on all sides. The entire affair, from Tripp all the way through the failed impeachment investigation was a huge black eye for America and was nothing but destructive folly for everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 AM

59,344 posts, read 27,505,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Show me where I'm wrong, and I'll be glad to agree with you.

The internet was not what it is now, for sure, but it was flourishing back then, and becoming the major breaking news source. It all hit the net first, days before the MSM picked up on it.

And by no means was the MSM going unchallenged. The net reportage covered the entire spectrum from challenge to support, just as it does today.

Only Limbaugh thought the media was in Clinton's hip pocket, and he was completely deaf at that time from dropping massive quantities of oxycontin. Back then, his rants were nothing but drugged-out paranoia. Remember that Rush went to rehab in the middle of the proceedings? I do. And when he came back on the air, he wouldn't touch any of it with a 10 foot pole.

Tripp not only blew the whistle, she was the only one who profited from it. Check the facts. She was not fired by anyone from the Clinton administration- in fact, she was promoted to a higher pay grade. Bush #1 fired her, and she successfully sued. She ended up with about $850,000 or so for her gossip.

I am not condoning any of them. It was atrocious behavior, and there was more than plenty of it on all sides. The entire affair, from Tripp all the way through the failed impeachment investigation was a huge black eye for America and was nothing but destructive folly for everyone involved.
"Tripp preserved a recording of her conversations with Lewinsky to prevent Lewinsky from falsely claiming that the conversations never took place. So too Lewinsky preserved the President’s genetic material to prevent the President from falsely denying that they had an affair, which he did.

It is no small irony that Tripp counseled Lewinsky to save the dress to prevent a subsequent Presidential denial in a conversation which she was recording to prevent Lewinsky’s subsequent denial. Both Lewinsky and Tripp could reasonably worry that they would be in a world of trouble if they made an accusation that they could not back up."

http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/p...opedtripp4.pdf

If you go back and see HOW the MSM treated Tripp, you will see she was vilified, as was ANYONE who challenged Clinton in any way.

With the conspiracy theories abounding (whether they were true or not) about how people who crossed the Clinton's were treated, Billy Dale, Paula Jones, Anita Broderick, etc., comes to mind.

Tripp was afraid of what the Clinton's MIGHT do if they found out that she was aware of Monica's affair with Bill. She acted in self defense.

With Bill lying openly to America about his affair with Monica, she had to make sure she could defend what she knew. You call it gossip but, it was found to be true. The blue dress proved to be the nail in the coffin for Bill.

Without the dress the truth would never have come out.

Why do you think the White House got her transferred to the Pentagon from the White house?

"Tripp sued the Department of Defense and the Justice Department for releasing information from her security file and employment file to the news media in violation of the Privacy Act of 1974. On November 3, 2003, Tripp reached a settlement with the federal government.[11] The settlement included a one-time payment of more than $595,000, a retroactive promotion, and retroactive pay at the highest salary for 1998, 1999 and 2000. She also received a pension and was cleared to work for the federal government again. Her rights to remain part of a class action lawsuit against the government were also preserved."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Administration

Why do you think her security file was released to the public, illegally?

Many people have "made money" after being put in the public spotlight. That is just life.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 09-11-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,335,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The world is full of women who work hard and play by the rules. They are diligent, honest, respectable and decent. These same women have their faces stepped on by individuals like Ms. Lewinsky who climb the ladder of success with ease because they s**k their boss's c**k.

Ms. Lewinsky's sort work everywhere and in every field. In the restaurant business she's the one special waitress who gets to show up late, pick any section she likes and blow-off her side work. In the business world, she gets away with numbers that don't add up and customers who don't come back. In sales, she is given the best leads and the desk by the door.

Ms. Lewinsky is the enemy of every woman who respects herself and every man who works his *** off to provide for his family. Yes diligent employees, you should be treated with more respect at your job, but you won't be because your co-worker has whored herself out and, in doing so, has brought all her co-workers down to her level.

I am not aware that Ms. Lewinsky has publicly apologized to the working women of the world for trading her dignity, and by extension the dignity of all women, for a few special favors. I don't recall her apologizing to working men who have to suffer the indignity of sexual harassment education like naughty children who might be thinking about doing something they haven't done and being threatened with termination and legal action if they do something they likely weren't going to do anyway.

If I am wrong about Ms. Lewinsky, if she has apologized to all the parents who had to explain to a young child what oral sex is years before the subject should have come up, then she should be accepted back into society as before.
Tried to rep ya, but it appears that I have to cat around a little before I can do that.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,082,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"No, I don't remember him, and I missed it. But as I said before....so what if he did set up an interview for her? Having a friend get your foot in the door is quite common....I believe it is called "networking". Whether it is your bed buddy or your golfing buddy, you have an unfair advantage over everyone else seeking that position, don't you? It is common and happens all of the time."

How about you get back to us when you're a little better informed.
Sorry, I didn't live and breathe the whole Clinton/Lewinsky scandal when it happened......it was a mere blip on the screen in the radar of my life.

At the time, I was working full time, taking care of my elderly father who was very ill and taking care of both of our homes and all of our pets.....all by myself.

I didn't have a lot of time to spend with my nose glued to the TV screen.

So a President was cheating on his wife.....big deal.....like THAT never happened before.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Tripp preserved a recording of her conversations with Lewinsky to prevent Lewinsky from falsely claiming that the conversations never took place. So too Lewinsky preserved the President’s genetic material to prevent the President from falsely denying that they had an affair, which he did.

It is no small irony that Tripp counseled Lewinsky to save the dress to prevent a subsequent Presidential denial in a conversation which she was recording to prevent Lewinsky’s subsequent denial. Both Lewinsky and Tripp could reasonably worry that they would be in a world of trouble if they made an accusation that they could not back up."

http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/p...opedtripp4.pdf

If you go back and see HOW the MSM treated Tripp, you will see she was vilified, as was ANYONE who challenged Clinton in any way.

With the conspiracy theories abounding (whether they were true or not) about how people who crossed the Clinton's were treated, Billy Dale, Paula Jones, Anita Broderick, etc., comes to mind.

Tripp was afraid of what the Clinton's MIGHT do if they found out that she was aware of Monica's affair with Bill. She acted in self defense.

With Bill lying openly to America about his affair with Monica, she had to make sure she could defend what she knew. You call it gossip but, it was found to be true. The blue dress proved to be the nail in the coffin for Bill.

Without the dress the truth would never have come out.

Why do you think the White House got her transferred to the Pentagon from the White house?

"Tripp sued the Department of Defense and the Justice Department for releasing information from her security file and employment file to the news media in violation of the Privacy Act of 1974. On November 3, 2003, Tripp reached a settlement with the federal government.[11] The settlement included a one-time payment of more than $595,000, a retroactive promotion, and retroactive pay at the highest salary for 1998, 1999 and 2000. She also received a pension and was cleared to work for the federal government again. Her rights to remain part of a class action lawsuit against the government were also preserved."
Presidency of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do you think her security file was released to the public, illegally?

Many people have "made money" after being put in the public spotlight. That is just life.
I read all that stuff. I also listened to some of the recordings that Tripp made talking to Monica. You got her version of her 'concerns' down well, but she was only concerned in the first place because her taste for gossip put her in to that position to start with.
It's true some of the press villified her. Rightly so. She was a wicked little gossip who kept things aboil. She had nothing to worry about if she had simply stopped, and Ken Starr wouldn't have gone on a goose chase that lasted for 3 years with no results. The Whitewater investigation was a complete bust.

And remember that Clinton didn't fire Tripp, before, during, or afterwards. She brought her firing down on herself.
Tripp was transferred to the White House in the first because her gossip was a grwoing concern in the Pentagon. The transfer put her in a position where it was thought that she couldn't gossip, because she wasn't in a place where it was easy to catch any gossip drifing around. She courted Lewinsky, who was better positioned to hear the idle chatter.

Lewinsky wanted bragging rights, and Tripp wanted all the juicy details. It was a match made in hell, for sure.

Clinton was an idiot- I lost my respect for him, and I voted for the guy. Even so, if every President who had fooled around in the White House was wrung through the same wringer, he would have only been one of many.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM

59,344 posts, read 27,505,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I read all that stuff. I also listened to some of the recordings that Tripp made talking to Monica. You got her version of her 'concerns' down well, but she was only concerned in the first place because her taste for gossip put her in to that position to start with.
It's true some of the press villified her. Rightly so. She was a wicked little gossip who kept things aboil. She had nothing to worry about if she had simply stopped, and Ken Starr wouldn't have gone on a goose chase that lasted for 3 years with no results. The Whitewater investigation was a complete bust.

And remember that Clinton didn't fire Tripp, before, during, or afterwards. She brought her firing down on herself.
Tripp was transferred to the White House in the first because her gossip was a grwoing concern in the Pentagon. The transfer put her in a position where it was thought that she couldn't gossip, because she wasn't in a place where it was easy to catch any gossip drifing around. She courted Lewinsky, who was better positioned to hear the idle chatter.

Lewinsky wanted bragging rights, and Tripp wanted all the juicy details. It was a match made in hell, for sure.

Clinton was an idiot- I lost my respect for him, and I voted for the guy. Even so, if every President who had fooled around in the White House was wrung through the same wringer, he would have only been one of many.
"but she was only concerned in the first place because her taste for gossip"
You are entitled to your opinion. I however disagree. She started recording the conversation because Monica was telling her about the affair she was having with Bill. If it was found out Monica was telling her...refer back to my post.

I love all the Bush haters try to blame Ken Starr as if he was rogue headhunter, ignoring he worked for Janet Reno, the Attorney General, who he briefed on what he found and she GAVE HIM AUTHORITY to continue.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,532,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
YES she DID get a promotion. She went from being an UNPAID White House to a job offer from Vernon Jordon.
Well she deserved it, she obviously passed the oral exam with Harry Johnson.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,627,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Monica, the ultimate anti-feminist. Used and discarded by a powerful man, she is the object of their scorn; he remains a hero.

Proof positive that feminists take a back seat to no one when it comes to hypocrisy.
whatever. Who cares. Not all women care about the fact that 14 years ago a public official had oral sex....yawn....thanks for bringing a womans issue back to 1950, shows how backward and puritanical American press is regarding sex.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,971,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Because some of us have a shred of humanity and understand that people make mistakes, especially when they're 20 or 21 years old.
This.

But of course, Clinton got off scott free while the poor and downtrodden take the blame and scorn.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,348,366 times
I actually thought the feminists would have heroine-eyezed her.

They never went after Clinton.

But, I guess they remain pyssed that she stayed married to a lout.

Those were tough times for NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies