Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There are plenty of statistics and underwriters to figure out the COST of having to provide coverage for these types of conditions. My assumption is that premiums would be based on the average cost to provide coverage for all of these more frequently occurring conditions, and the premiums would be balanced over that group of participants.
Ok, just for an example.
Medication costs $200,000 a year, misc testing and whatnot costs another $50,000 a year. There are only around 6000 peoe who have this disorder. How much do you feelthey should pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
All I know is forcing insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions is a death sentence for them.

People would pay no money into the system - yet they will receive coverage.

How do you sustain your business with this model?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
No, preexisting conditions should not be covered under "regular" health insurance . . . . because there should be no "regular health insurance." I support 100% federally run, single-payer free health insurance for ALL Americans -- including those with preexisting health issues. Healthcare is one aspect of life in which the "free market" should have no say.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So, getting my life sustaining medication would be put in the hands of some accountant who has probably never heard of my disorder? Kind of like it is right now... So basically nothing would change except people like me, who need the most help usually, would be paying loads more.
Nope. Actuaries and underwriters have access to a HUGE set of data that can help to determine frequency and costs of diseases, and if such a program was actually put in place, I'd be willing to be that they would get even better at factoring in even the most rare of the rare conditions. Also, just statistically speaking, one participant in a given plan (you in this case) with drastically higher costs would be accounted for and balanced out by the other participants with less costly conditions.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Ok, just for an example.
Medication costs $200,000 a year, misc testing and whatnot costs another $50,000 a year. There are only around 6000 peoe who have this disorder. How much do you feelthey should pay?
You are missing the point, I cant give you that answer. I'm not a statistician or an actuary, in fact I'm horrible at math.

We can send build vehicles that travel to the outer depths of the galaxy, I'm positive that there are statisticians and actuaries that can figure out the cost of this proposed "pre-existing conditions" group of participants so it is equitable for the consumer and the insurance company.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All I know is forcing insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions is a death sentence for them.

People would pay no money into the system - yet they will receive coverage.

How do you sustain your business with this model?
You are missing the entire concept.

It is a specific set of coverage for people with certain pre-existing conditions. The insurance companies develop a cost model for it and the consumer decides if they want to participate. Nobody is forced to enter it, and if you do enter it, you pay the premiums...which granted would most likely be higher than any standard policy.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
No, preexisting conditions should not be covered under "regular" health insurance . . . . because there should be no "regular health insurance." I support 100% federally run, single-payer free health insurance for ALL Americans -- including those with preexisting health issues. Healthcare is one aspect of life in which the "free market" should have no say.
Choice and delivery of medical services is the one aspect of life in which the government should have no say. If I choose to pay more because I want to undergo a tx. that improves my chances of survival the federal government has no right to say no and pull the plug on my life.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I think that requires a separate thread then. That is a totally different concept, not to mention nothing is "free"

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM

865 posts, read 676,349 times
Quote:
Ok, just for an example.

Market pricing. To subsidize one group of people, means that somewhere you discriminate against others and another disease. Not only that, if we are the only nation that subsidizes the big-pharma to produce certain meds, then other nations also buy at this low rate, and stick us with the bill! Instead of innovating their own solutions, expanding labs, and/or licensing chemistry solutions to make their own.

So now the 6000 people who are treated, aid to pushing another 20,000 into deeper poverty, and they die from famine, suicide, or they just become criminals out of pure desperation. Basically TANSTAAFL

The way the market works, is if someone develops a medication, they need to sell it. Without roadblocks, they work out ways to provide the solutions over-time to make things better. If big-pharma-A can't keep up with the demands while juggling with other medications, they are vulnerable to big-pharma-B coming up with their solution, of a much smaller lab possibly doing something even better than what A and B could do.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Keep in mind, many policies do cover pre-existings after a certain waiting period.
I do agree insurance should be available the same way auto ins is available in a 'risk pool' basis for those with statisically higher odds of needing it.
If there are no companies offering it I wonder why?
Usually one can get whatever they want if they're willing to pay for it.
Have the actuaries determined enough would not buy to make it feasible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies