Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this will be quite controversial, so all the more fun to strike up a conversation about it. I don't have a 100% answer, but I have some thoughts.

The question:
Should a pre-existing condition be covered as part of regular health insurance plans?

The facts:
The concept of insurance is that it is a way to financially hedge yourself against an unexpected occurrence such as breaking a leg or getting struck by lightning. For things like home owners and car insurance, you couldn't get insurance to pay for physical damage that already exists...aka, a "pre-existing" condition.

Part of the problem with "pre-existing" conditions is that the concept only exists because we are forced to change insurance providers if/when we change jobs.

My thoughts:
Personally I don't think they should be covered as part of a regular insurance plan because I think that may be part of what causes insurance to be so expensive overall. I wonder if the market place could come up with some insurance product that is targeted at those with pre-existing conditions, or that you somehow pay into separately from regular insurance that can only be used once certain ailments are diagnosed like cancer, diabetes, or other commonly identified "pre-existing" conditions?

I also think that shifting insurance from being something that most employers provide, to something that individuals shop for and purchase on their own would go a LONG way in changing this situation.

I'm sure others have different thoughts and ideas, or would just like to chime in and call me evil or crazy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
And what about those who are born with certain conditions? They're always going to have them, and you can hardly expect a child to pay for their own insurance. I deal with patient advocacy for rare genetic disorders and it can be very difficult to manage your health when you're born with a pre existing condition.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
They could have simply "fixed" health insurance by providing some sort of pre existing pool for these folks instead of trying to revamp the entire thing. Government sells flood insurance to folks who get flooded all the time why not health insurance to those with a pre existing condition that aren't covered? That would be too simple though. Gotta redo it all with a bill nobody had the time to read.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Yes.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Absolutely. Unlike car or home insurance, health care is a basic human necessity.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Some religious folks believe that their god has a plan for their life. This plan may include things like cancer or paralysis. Since these things were preordained, people who hold this religious belief should be allowed to buy insurance and pay into the system, however, if they become sick or injured and need to collect their benefits the benefits should be denied and all of their payments returned to them.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
How did humans survive all those years without health insurance? One would think we'd be extinct now the way some think.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And what about those who are born with certain conditions? They're always going to have them, and you can hardly expect a child to pay for their own insurance. I deal with patient advocacy for rare genetic disorders and it can be very difficult to manage your health when you're born with a pre existing condition.
No, not at all is any of the argument to have a child pay for insurance...I dont think that anyone regardless of their stance on health care would expect a minor to pay for it.

Agreed that kids born with certain conditions are a special exception to the scenario I laid out. I dont have a good answer for that...other than maybe something where parents can pay for some sort of pre-natal insurance that would also be meant to cover that scenario? Assuming the vast majority of children are born without any conditions like that, so you premiums paid into the program for those who have no issues should be enough to cover the unfortunate ones born with some sort of problem?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Unlike car or home insurance, health care is a basic human necessity.
Water is a basic human necessity too, but for the most part we are all required to provide this on our own, no?

For those who cant (and I mean extreme exceptions) there are programs in place. I'm focused on the vast majority of the population that is competent and able to work for a living.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, not at all is any of the argument to have a child pay for insurance...I dont think that anyone regardless of their stance on health care would expect a minor to pay for it.

Agreed that kids born with certain conditions are a special exception to the scenario I laid out. I dont have a good answer for that...other than maybe something where parents can pay for some sort of pre-natal insurance that would also be meant to cover that scenario? Assuming the vast majority of children are born without any conditions like that, so you premiums paid into the program for those who have no issues should be enough to cover the unfortunate ones born with some sort of problem?
And why would people pay for pre natal insurance? Especially considering many parents wouldn't know their children are affected until years later. I was born with a genetic disorder but wasn't diagnosed until I was 11.... So prenatal insurance wouldnt have mattered. My parents had health insurance, but it wasn't great... Especially when your child has a medical problem that's expensive to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies