Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
Why do so many young people consider themselves liberals, to only then become more and more conservative as they get older?

Hate to burst your bubble but your blanket assumption is incorrect....it MAY be true in some cases; however I see NO links backing up your opinion.

It's like me saying that as people become more educated they tend to become more liberal.

Do college-educated people become liberal or conservative? | Deseret News

The Ideological Animal | Psychology Today

Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives | Psychology Today

I'm in my fifties and as I see the rise of the likes of The Tea Party.....I have in fact become more liberal as you call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Did anyone bother to find any research to support or defeat the OPs statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Says who? I get more and more liberal every day as I get older and wiser. I was a conservative when I was a child and thought like, you know, A CHILD.
lol. I was conservative when I was young too, for the same reason I was Christian--I didn't discover independent thought yet. My parents continue to tell me that college ruined me, because I left thinking like them and came back a dirty liberal.

Moving back towards the topic, first-blush searching dug up an OKCupid trend report showing a snapshot of age and political views charted.

The Democrats Are Doomed, or How A ‘Big Tent’ Can Be Too Big « OkTrends

There are obvious problems with the study, notably that this is a snapshot of now, across thousands of individuals, and not a longitudinal study, which would (obviously) be *far* more accurate.

The research is actually pretty fascinating, and I encourage people to take a look. There is a note in there about how large the democratic base is, but because they are large, their views correspond as such as well. Meaning? Democrats, as the article points out, don't "cohere" like Republicans do. The "progressive" view is so vast and spread out over a multitude of issues, that Republicans in comparison actually represent a small group of people who agree fiercely with one another.

To extend on that research a bit, the identity crisis the Republicans are going through with their Tea Party? Republicans swear they aren't the Tea Party, and the Tea Party swears they aren't Republicans, but nobody takes them seriously? That's because the Democrats are already there, and have been for quite some time. Republicans all of a sudden have to deal with the radical conservatism of the Tea Party, and it makes the entire conservative base look absolutely nuts.

But really, read that ****.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
When RINOcrats left Constitutional Conservatism for central planning Progressivism the Tea Party is what remained in the place of what was once the traditional Republican. Therefore the Tea Party platform of small Constitutional government and fiscal responsibility is neither radical nor extreme.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Why do so many young people consider themselves liberals, to only then become more and more conservative as they get older?
Funny, I'm more liberal as I age.
Many people who were conservative when I was growing up are also liberal.

So, I guess that your theory doesn't hold water (surprise, surprise).

I think that as people become educated, they tend to be less conservative.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Greed (the root of conservative principles) knows no limits. Liberals just succomb to it later than most.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
As people get old, most get conservative in all aspects of their, not just politically. There are exceptions, but they are not the norm. By conservative, I mean you want to conserve the status quo and are not open to change.

I suspect there are a number of reasons, people get settled in their ways and don't want change, people become complacent, people become less experimental and less willing to take chances and risks. If you look at changes in technology, art, philosophy, music, etc.., it's usually young people leading the way.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Did anyone bother to find any research to support or defeat the OPs statement?
Why yes, as a matter of fact.
Read the post above yours.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
As people get old, most get conservative in all aspects of their, not just politically. There are exceptions, but they are not the norm. By conservative, I mean you want to conserve the status quo and are not open to change.

I suspect there are a number of reasons, people get settled in their ways and don't want change, people become complacent, people become less experimental and less willing to take chances and risks. If you look at changes in technology, art, philosophy, music, etc.., it's usually young people leading the way.
Anything but your opinion, or your friend's opinions, to back your statement?
Opinions are just that.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
When we get a little older our energy levels decrease, and we dont have the feisty zeal to argue everything and anything.

We just look at the Dow Jones and pray that our 401k is not blown out of the water.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
When we get a little older our energy levels decrease, and we dont have the feisty zeal to argue everything and anything.

We just look at the Dow Jones and pray that our 401k is not blown out of the water.
Are you saying that you've given up and will take whatever has been handed to you?
I still have enough energy to work against that.
What I can't do, I financially support since I have funds and live elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies