Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,274,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's a bit difficult to take someone seriously when they are rattling off statistics about homosexuals or the economy or writing a 1000 word monologue about the history of WW2 and they CONSISTANTLY make these types of errors.

Everyone makes mistakes. But it is obvious when someone just doesn't know any better.

*awaits someone to find the mistake(s) in this post
arg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,257,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This is 2011, the modern generation doesn't use the words "you're" -or- your are -or- your

it's "u r" -or- "ur"

I mourn the loss of good manners more then I do improper English....

But I guess some people need to feel superior to others so they fall back to criticizing other people's use of "proper" English language...
LOL, the first negative post came from one of CD's regular right wing posters.

This is not about feeling superior. It is about common and simple grammatical errors. I think, if one is going to complain about the dumbing down of America, illegal immigrants who don't speak English, and about the pitiful public schools then they should post with grammatically correct English. It is understood that people will make typos, and mistakes, but to do it with every post does no favor to the constant complaints about speaking English.

I do not try to count the number of times I've seen people post on here who do not know the difference between, their, there, and they're.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:59 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,257,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
check out the writing forum of c-d. alot of examples there. Very humorous aswell as informative.
lol!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,250,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I do not try to count the number of times I've seen people post on here who do not know the difference between, their, there, and they're.
Woooo, using "do not" instead of "don't", I'm impressed.

It's a shame that in this day and age people get wrapped around the axle over words rather <then><than> people's deeds...

LMAO, just what does my "right wing" attitude have to do with this thread?

Real childish Ecovlke....

Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,499,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm a horrible writer, but it's truly astounding to me that some people don't know the difference between "their" and "there" or "your" and "you're"
It is hard not to start doing it the incorrect way after having done it the correct way most of your life --- so many people do it and you read it over and over and OVER on City-Data!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,360,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Woooo, using "do not" instead of "don't", I'm impressed.

It's a shame that in this day and age people get wrapped around the axle over words rather <then><than> people's deeds...

LMAO, just what does my "right wing" attitude have to do with this thread?

Real childish Ecovlke....
Sometimes "deeds" and "words" can merge for intended objectives.

"(Note Judge Gorsuch’s use of contractions throughout his opinion. E.g., “could’ve exercised its discretion.†Word on the street is that Judge Gorsuch has his law clerks add contractions to his opinions, to make himself sound more folksy — and therefore more appealing as a possible SCOTUS nominee. Adding contractions to an opinion after the fact, as opposed to deploying them organically, seems a bit silly — but it’s a small price to pay for being fed by Judge Gorsuch, an emerging feeder judge, into the maw of a Supreme Court justice.)"

Biglaw Litigators, Rejoice! A Circuit Court Opinion on a Discovery Dispute « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site

Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,864,885 times
I wants to says thanks fer posting dis it will help myself to speech better and to spell a hole lots better.

-Cheers.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,499,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Funny. The same generation that apparently understands that what you represent on the outside is the same as what you represent on the inside. However, I'm sure that for those who have been enabled and "spoiled" on excess' from "my" generation that the use of proper English and manners being the same are as diametrically opposed as knowledge and common sense.

No need to explain what generation you originate from. Some things are inherently evident as black and white.
You mean spoiled "to" excess (not "on").

Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,354,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Notice the "Alot" and "aswell"? You were supposed to laugh at that. It should have been "A lot" and "as well".
I find it hard to believe that I read that post and didn't notice the obvious errors in writing. I am so used to "translating" that kind of thing that I just didn't see them, but when you wrote this they stuck out like sore thumbs. I guess I need to read less forum writing and not try to help out others in the way they express themselves.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,360,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I wants to says thanks fer posting dis it will help myself to speech better and to spell a hole lots better.

-Cheers.
I went somewhere without myself, and when I got there, I had to wing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies