Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,249,938 times

Advertisements

Since we have strayed so far away from the OP lets discuss global warming and the dumb people who are for or against it...

Maybe we can discuss feminism instead?

How to dry our laundry without using electricity?

The cause and effect of solar radiation on Beluga whales?

The implication of a martini during the 8th month of pregnancy?

The ramifications of running a router with no administrative password?

Jimmy Johnson winning a 6th NASCAR championship?

Or my favorite:

What would the world be like if everyone was a pacifist?

Last edited by plwhit; 09-18-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,978,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm still amazed how this thread has morphed into elites and <their><there><they're> English grammar lectures.
Why does using good english make you an elite? My grandmother never got past the 4th grade, but she worked really hard to write correctly. I think that is the point. People just don't care anymore, and they have been conditioned to think anyone that does care is an elitist.

I don't see how that is much different than inner city black children who have been programmed to believe that black kids that care about education are just trying to be white.

We have a culture that seems to criticize education. That is just simply wrong.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,335,045 times
I have been known to do all those grammar mistakes both in IRL and on this board .It does not make you look dumb.Not everyone is an english writing major .

Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,359,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm still amazed how this thread has morphed into elites and <their><there><they're> English grammar lectures.
They're the doughnut people.

Grammar Lessons from Henry Fool - YouTube

Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,498,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I have secretaries transcribe and correct any gramatical errors (gee, did I have a spelling error there?!). I have more important things to do and leave menial tasks to those with an intellect commensurate to the task.

Liberals quite often, in a comical attempt to assert their intellectual superiority, are obsessed with spelling errors. It is a symptom of the unique ability to stratify and focus on the unimportant, while ignoring the big picture. In this fashion, we have a group attentive to gay marriage while the nation drowns in debt and the economy burns. Those primarily concerned with eddy currents and side issues rarely accomplish anything of any significance.
Thankfully Liberals aren't the only ones.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,998,929 times
Default "Readin And Ah Writtin" ... It Be Impotent Stuff Y'all " ... What !

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Is it politically correct to pretend not to notice how all of America is dumbing down? It seems that even those who are supposedly "smart" aren't really so smart. Or perhaps they just don't care.

For those that would like to at least seem like they know what they are writing about here's an article from Slate Magazine that lists the most common mistakes made even by those who should know better. They include some of your favorites like "your" and "you're".

7 Grammar Mistakes that Make You Look Dumb | Work Goes Strong
emilybh !!! ... Precisely !

Goshdawg iffin you ain't said ah dang mouthfull !

Some of these hear fellers on CDF jest don't knowd ah thang about good ole "Southern Style" writtin ... ain't it pitiful !

Dawggonnit y'all has got ta keeps on ah keepin this bunch straight with thar spellin an all !!! Keep Em Straight Y'all !

Teachin certain fellers ta spell an all be as hard as tryin ta herd cats ! ...

Cheers ... Capt. Morgan be ah callin Old Sgt. Lamar one mo time tanite !!!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What "stupid mistake" did I make? Have you never heard of "righeous wrath"? Oh, and aren't you the one who is always excoriating others for "personal attacks"? Why yes, I think you are.

Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. We were just talking about secretaries today, and how no one has them any more. Your office must be way behind the times if you aren't using EMR; still using transcription. BTW, one of the defenders of good grammar is a RW.
I would need a secretary to translate all those abbreviations you use since BTW is the only one that I know. I guess, although, I try very hard to have no more than typos I must have more grammatical and spelling errors than I think but seldom do I edit to clean them up, either.

Of course, my internet server does provide spell check to go along with my computer so my misspellings always show up with a squiggly red line under them. However, the computer doesn't really know the difference in their and there as far as usage is concerned. I usually just use they are instead of abbreviating that one.

As far as spelling is concerned, I try to just overlook it from others since I had to do that so long from high school kids and the spelled a lot better back then when they didn't have computers to do everything for them. Ah yes, in the last 25 years high school kids have come to a very sorry state of affairs as far as spelling and reading are concerned.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,998,929 times
Default Be Ah Lot Ta learn From A Smart Blighter Like Ole ... " Henry Fool " OTAY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
They're the doughnut people.

Grammar Lessons from Henry Fool - YouTube
ergohead !!!!!!!! ........ On The Money !

Indeed ... Dat Ole Henry Fool Be Tha Man ... The Man I Tells Ya !

Henry Fool ... My Kinda Man Y'all ! Y'all Kin Learns Ah Lot From A Feller Like That ! Quite !

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Well, the OP has quite a point. All this demonstrates is the EPIC failure of our public education system to educate our children beyond the second grade level.

Seriously, when I was in grade school, the nuns would beat you with a ruler until you got it right. And to this day, I still try to use proper grammar. That's the problem, teachers just don't give a damn anymore.
All teachers or just some of them. I can guarantee you that there is one fewer today than a year ago. My wife retired this spring and the inability of kids to read and write was a lot of the reason since she is only 62. She just couldn't take them and the younger teachers who don't give a damn any longer.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,978,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I have secretaries transcribe and correct any gramatical errors (gee, did I have a spelling error there?!). I have more important things to do and leave menial tasks to those with an intellect commensurate to the task.

Liberals quite often, in a comical attempt to assert their intellectual superiority, are obsessed with spelling errors. It is a symptom of the unique ability to stratify and focus on the unimportant, while ignoring the big picture. In this fashion, we have a group attentive to gay marriage while the nation drowns in debt and the economy burns. Those primarily concerned with eddy currents and side issues rarely accomplish anything of any significance.

When the liberals can't think of a response to a situation they look for ways to insult you. They are masters at insulting people. That way, they can change the subject and avoid looking stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies