Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I don't know exactly where I fit into this hate-fest, but I can tell you that I went to an Ivy league school, served in the infantry in Vietnam, do not follow any organized religion, supported Jimmy Carter, was puzzled by the worship of Ronald Reagain, worked on Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign, voted for John McCain out of respect for his service, but felt real joy for the country when it elected Obama our first black President, supported Mr. Obama for the first part of his administration, but now feel that he is a brainy, politically astute man who unfortunately is incompetent as a chief executive and needs to be replaced.

Does that make me stupid, a la Ms. Dowd? Or just part of our vast, diverse electorate which she and the rest of the coastal chattering classes hold in such contempt while knowing so little about us?
No you sound like a sane and rational person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Baloney, shorebaby, the redneck, backwards, uneducated segment of the GOP who represent a disproportinate portion of the primary voting flock, are catered to lock, stock, and barrel..hence the phony "I'm an everyman routine from all of the GOP candidates". That mentality disses education, and truthfully, is self-defeating, hence the high un/under-employment in good and bad economies in rural Amwerica.

To be frank, this group, sans Romney, have FEW accomplishments. Most county clerks have more power than a Texas gov (due to their absurd structure), no one who was part of DC amongst the GOP gang has much of a record as anything but a follower, Romney is the only one who exercised actual government executive power.
Don't forget Huntsman, he's an accomplished man himself.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Baloney, shorebaby, the redneck, backwards, uneducated segment of the GOP who represent a disproportinate portion of the primary voting flock, are catered to lock, stock, and barrel..hence the phony "I'm an everyman routine from all of the GOP candidates". That mentality disses education, and truthfully, is self-defeating, hence the high un/under-employment in good and bad economies in rural Amwerica.

To be frank, this group, sans Romney, have FEW accomplishments. Most county clerks have more power than a Texas gov (due to their absurd structure), no one who was part of DC amongst the GOP gang has much of a record as anything but a follower, Romney is the only one who exercised actual government executive power.

Call it what you like, it is the truth. As much as the left hates NASCAR watching, hunting, God fearing, middle Americans. They are a much smarter lot than given credit for. It is the left that caters to folks by giving them things and making them a dependent class. They count on the permanent underclass they have created to continue their hold on government.

I disagree with your assessment of the achievements of the Republican field, but every one of them has achieved more than Obama before he was elected.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So you think the religious right wasn't a factor in the 2000 and 2004 elections?
The religious rights influence is marginal at best. The influence of religious folks has been wildly exaggerated since its decline in the early 1990's. The election and re-election of Bill Clinton is proof of that.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
True, NorthGaBound, and I do admire Newt's intellect, though if he'd only learn to throw in some howdy's, how much he loves to shoot deer, how much he loves to draw crosshairs, than maybe he'd have a shot at the nomination.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The religious rights influence is marginal at best. The influence of religious folks has been wildly exaggerated since its decline in the early 1990's. The election and re-election of Bill Clinton is proof of that.
Not so sure. Bush's evangelicalism was a big draw in the last decade. I think it's only now begun to decline as the culture wars took a back seat to the Great Recession.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
shorebaby:"hates NASCAR watching, hunting, God fearing, middle Americans. They are a much smarter lot than given credit for."

No they aren't, but they are easy to persuade to any set of beliefs. They are resourceful, as were our earliest settlers hundreds of years ago, but smart..NO. I feel sorry for them, as now, like always, they are played for votes.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
See, I don't think that's correct. I see that the left thinks education is more important in a leader than a Republican. It just happens that most prominent left wingers are from the coasts, which happen to have most of the elite universities. If Dems were more prominent in the South, you'd see them hail from Chapel Hill, UVA and Georgia Tech. A Republican (mostly) thinks that if you can have a beer with the guy, then he must be good enough to be president. Of course there are intellectual conservatives, but nobody listens to them anyway, so they're not important to the movement. The real drivers are the Rick Perrys, Sarah Palins and that ilk. And the current crop of GOP candidates strikes me as so bad in this regard, that I actually am starting to miss George W. Now that I just said that, I think i need to wash my mouth out.
Lol, the advent of jet travel has made geography pretty much irrelevant. As a matter of fact, it is probably more difficult for people from the Northeast to get into the Ivys as they have been traditionally over represented.

More condescention, and ridiculous projection. We have an alleged intellectual in the White House today and the results are abysmal. Republicans are pragmatists, show us what you have done. If your education credentials are great all the better.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
shorebaby:"hates NASCAR watching, hunting, God fearing, middle Americans. They are a much smarter lot than given credit for."

No they aren't, but they are easy to persuade to any set of beliefs. They are resourceful, as were our earliest settlers hundreds of years ago, but smart..NO. I feel sorry for them, as now, like always, they are played for votes.
Too funny, and the left wonders why they are disdained by these folks.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Not so sure. Bush's evangelicalism was a big draw in the last decade. I think it's only now begun to decline as the culture wars took a back seat to the Great Recession.
You can think what you like, but the facts prove otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies