Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
To quote Mr. Miyagi, "1 on 1 is fair right, 4 on 1, not so fair"

What would your advice be to a kid who is being bullied by a large group of bullies?? Just fight back???
That is what my step dad would tell me when four boys would follow me home and pick on me, just because I would not help them with the answers to tests and homework. How can one fight four when the four are not fighting fair? I learned to run home and almost every day, just to keep from being beat up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
What many of you fail to realize it that school has no longer become a place of learning but a place for socialization to becoming "great citizens". this country was founded on violence and is promoted through our media daily, so how can you all of the sudden regulate how a child behaves towards another child that they percieve as being weaker? Like many of you have already mentioned, how can you try to protect a child through their learning years from bullies and then release them out to a world full of bullies.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
My father was an only child, and he like myself hated cowardice. I can remember when he retired and moved back to his hometown how I was initally picked on and told my father. He was a kind and gentle man but he said that "in the event that you are confronted by more than one person, punch the person either who is talking the most and go after the biggest one. You might lose in the short run, but they would think twice before bothering you again. He was right and plus I got a measure of respect. My mother the oldest of 9 had a different approach. "If there is more than one the first thing that you do is find something to hit them with it", this method only had to be used once and "crazy" was then added to my name but I was left alone. My son is not as big as I was as a child but the same advice was given to him as well and he had no problems either after one conflict with a bully. In both cases I was taught not to be a bully and if possible use my status to prevent others from being bullied as well.

The problem is not only are some kids are afraid to defend themselves but the kids that stand around them do nothing about it as well. So instead of just teaching your kids not to be bullies but teach them to stand up for other kids being bullied as well.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My father was an only child, and he like myself hated cowardice. I can remember when he retired and moved back to his hometown how I was initally picked on and told my father. He was a kind and gentle man but he said that "in the event that you are confronted by more than one person, punch the person either who is talking the most and go after the biggest one. You might lose in the short run, but they would think twice before bothering you again. He was right and plus I got a measure of respect. My mother the oldest of 9 had a different approach. "If there is more than one the first thing that you do is find something to hit them with it", this method only had to be used once and "crazy" was then added to my name but I was left alone. My son is not as big as I was as a child but the same advice was given to him as well and he had no problems either after one conflict with a bully. In both cases I was taught not to be a bully and if possible use my status to prevent others from being bullied as well.

The problem is not only are some kids are afraid to defend themselves but the kids that stand around them do nothing about it as well. So instead of just teaching your kids not to be bullies but teach them to stand up for other kids being bullied as well.
I got tired of being bullied by this one kid who was way bigger than the rest of us, yet was the same age. He picked on us every day. After 2 years of his hitting me and my step dad saying to just beat him up, I did just that, attacked him when he got off the bus, started punching him till a teache pulled me off. I was cheered on by all the other kids that he bullied and when we were brought before the prinicipal, he was the one who got paddled. This was in 1970 when kids were still paddled in school. But in second grade I had this one kid from the fourth grade that singled me out for being red haired. He would attack me nearly every day at recess, most of the time he would grab me from behind and choke me. I finally told a teacher on the school grounds to watch me and set this kid up. I went to where I knew he would most likey catch me and he did and the teacher saw it and he got sent to be paddled. Unfortunately bullies learn their behavior at home and it gets reinforced when they go home by an abusive parent

Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:

Your father was a wise man, and of course completely correct. When I was young our family moved around a lot, which meant I was usually the new kid in school. I was picked on constantly at first, until, like your father advised, I found the guy with the biggest mouth or the biggest bully in school and got into a fight. I was never picked on after that, until we moved to another school district and I was once again the new kid on the block. I did not always win those fights either, but it typically only took one fight in each new school I attended, and either the other kids left me alone because they thought I was crazy, or I earned their respect for standing up for myself.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Absolutely!

Bullies are by nature cowards. The last thing they want is a physical confrontation. It does not matter of the individual being bullied wins or loses the fight, just the fact that they fought back is usually sufficient to prevent future bullying.
I disagree. I have known some bullies that enlisted in the marine core and done well with retirements and wars and many many medals. The world can't support too many more people. Survival of the fittest. But then the meek shall inherit the earth. But they can have it when I am done with it, I use all the oil I can.

Just my 2 cents but I do have a twisted view of life. I don't believe bullying is the way to succeed in life. But I also think we (society) get cranked up about things at times. I believe people have always committed suicide over something someone has said to them (teens too) for as long as we have been on the planet. Child abuse & sexual abuse happened as much in 1825 as it does now. We just hear more about it now because we don't need to fire up the printing press to put the word in the street. If 2 kids are bullied by someone and one kills themselves....was it weaker character that helped them complete that decision? I don't know. I do know I can't fix the world or very many of it's problems. I do believe people live & die every day. It's called life. Drunk drivers won't stop being selfish. Rapists will never be neutered, crack heads will always smoke their stuff. Can't be fixed with speeches or laws or votes or money.

Last edited by jimjamonthefrimfram; 09-14-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Teach kids how to handle it if their parents have failed to do so, get rid of the wimp laws and stop turning kids into a bunch of crybaby wusses.
How about teaching children NOT to be bullies, which would be good parenting? Most bullies are actually nothing but insecure little punks looking for the attention they crave that they probably aren't getting at home. They use their mouth and wave their hands around to intimidate. They pick on kids that are smaller or weaker. Here's an example of a punk bully getting put in his place by someone's bare foot:

Bully gets kicked in the face - MUST SEE VIDEO - YouTube

My daughter while in her early teens had a female bully who was constantly ragging on my daughter. One day my daughter was out on her bike and ran into her bully. The bully started to mouth off and my daughter, who had had enough, so she dropped her bike and beat the crap out of her bully and left her lying in the street. Guess who the bully wanted to be friends with after that?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There have always been bullies and there will always be bullies.

We do children a disservice by "protecting" them. It is infinitely better to give them the skills they need to take care of themselves in difficult situations. This makes them strong, self-confident adults.

It's a big, mean world out there, and the sooner children learn how to deal with it effectively the better off they are.

20yrsinBranson
No. It is a disservice to children when you don't teach them right from wrong, and bullying is wrong. Maybe parents who have a bully for a child need to take their child in for some professional help to understand what is missing in that child's life or if something happened in their life that they need to verbally or physically assault another kid that is weaker or smaller.

Bullies are in general punks who grow up lacking self-confidence and are weak individuals, and that's the path many follow into adulthood and just find other ways to bully.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:

The funny thing is that once a bully is taken down, those that were afraid of him and joined his cheerleading squad move on and away from the bully because he was seen for what he was - a punk that they really didn't need to fear.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,342 times
there will always be bullies but being a millennial, i think this anti-bullying crap is working. i never once got bullied, honestly and i wasnt a bully myself. i don't recall much bullying at all to be honest. obviously it was there but my school treated these "bullies" like murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies